The 'Couldn't think where to put this' thread part 2 or 'does my comment merit a NEW THREAD?'

Comments

• But I understand they had 'Landing Cards' which were held by the Home Office(?) that proved their entitlement to stay here. It now appears these were destroyed in 2010 and the politicians are now arguing over who ordered this, just so they can lay blame somewhere.
  • The landing cards are only part of the story (I think). They establish time of entry but (again, correct me if I am wrong) the people also have to not have forfeited their residency status by living outside the UK.... Isn't that why they are having to get proof of continuous residency for the Home Office?
  • edited April 2018
    MrsGrey, if they had lived outside the UK, wouldn't they have needed a passport to travel?
  • But they might have had a non-UK passport?
  • Or, if children, travelling on a parent's passport. (Which is how many of the 'Windrush kids' and later arrivals pre-1973 travelled to the UK, I understand.)

• Children of UK and Commonwealth citizens under the age of 16 could travel on their parents' passports until 4th October 1998. If they were already on their parents' passports at that date they could still travel on them until either the passport expired or the child was 16.
  • edited April 2018
    Yes I remember being on my parents passport so why were/are their rights different to mine? Seems to me the problem stems from the time of original entry and should have been resolved at that time, but thanks to self serving civil servants it wasn’t.
    A friends wife who is originally from Sweden now has to fill out a 200 page form (yes 200 pages!!!) to prove continuous citizenship, regardless of the fact she is married to a UK Citizen, completely disgusting from the Civil Servants who run the Home Office and a disgrace to our nation.
  • Just reading this article, this quote I find hard to swallow considering the source...

Caroline Noakes, the immigration minister, appeared on Monday to admit deportations have taken place, saying in an interview with ITV News: “There have been some horrendous situations which as a minister have appalled me.”
  • Civil servants are implementing government policy. Blame the govt, not those who carry it out.

Vorse ;ok ;angry
  • Local team Ebbsfleet United Unbeaten in 10 games in National League, massive game against Sutton tomorrow that I am heading to with their last Home game of the season. Win that and they will be 1 point off 3rd with a game in hand.

Back to Back Promotions for the Fleet potentially.

Come on you Reds, Come on the Fleet, Wember-ley !
  • MrsGrey said:

Civil servants are implementing government policy. Blame the govt, not those who carry it out.

Vorse ;ok ;angry

MrsGrey,
    Is that what government policy was at the time then?
  • Oh look a never seen before civil service-government ocean-going fur-lined cluster-cods up...

Colour me surprised.
  • Civil Servants never making a mistake? Wow!
  • IronHerb said:

Civil Servants never making a mistake? Wow!

Nope, we don't ;wink
    But then again I work for the Bavarian government
  • But the Germans are renown for their efficiency. ;bowdown
  • @IH they might be efficient but they have no idea about how to win a war. ;wink

The last time they did was in 1871!
  • Don’t mention the war, I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it
  • edited April 2018
    Suz. “an ocean-going, fur-lined, cluster-sized cods up”

I thank you madam, I have, without remorse, regard or limitation already plagerized the above quote,

;bowdown
  • My brothers wife is from Dortmund and loves that faulty towers sketch
  • IronHerb said:

Who said that?
  • I'm guessing IronHerb MrsG but, I could be mistaken.
  • MrsGrey said:

IronHerb said:

Who said that?
    They’ll be saying Ministers never make a mistake next...... ;lol ;lol
  • I'm guessing IronHerb MrsG but, I could be mistaken.

Grass..
  • edited April 2018

@IH they might be efficient but they have no idea about how to win a war. ;wink

The last time they did was in 1871!

Technically when the war against France started in 1870 Germany didn't exist, it was still separate states like Prussia, Bavaria, Saxony, Wurttemberg and a whole load more. Indeed four years earlier Prussia declared war on the rest of the German states who were allied to Austria. Prussia won in six weeks and Italy nicked Venice while Austria was looking the other way.

Initially France declared war on Prussia alone but the other states joined in because they had secret treaties. The whole thing started because Spain asked Prince Leopold, a relative of the King of Prussia, to be their king and France didn't want Hohenzollern-ruled countries on two sides.

The French were hoping for war, demanded that Prince Leopold decline the offer and the King of Prussia initially agreed because he wasn't too fussed about it. The French were disappointed until Bismarck threatened to resign, the King changed his mind and the war was back on.

Ironically Prince Leopold never wanted to be King of Spain in the first place and five months after war was declared the Spanish gave the crown to the Italian Duke of Aosta.

Germany was unified under the Prussian king on 18 January 1871, ten days before the French officially surrendered.

Germany won several wars between 1871 and 1914 in much the same as Britain won many wars during the same period by ensuring that they had guns while their opponents didn't. See Blackadder goes Forth for more details of colonial warfare

Too much time on my hands.....
  • Aslef ;clap
    Do you read while your driving the trains, or just when everyone is minding the gap?
  • Wombat - a definite "no" to both, that's a quick way to becoming an ex-train driver but I do read a lot and I've always been interested in history.

I work late shifts 99% of the time, mostly starting after 3pm (3:49pm - 00:11 today) and I was up early this morning. Thankfully I'm off tomorrow so I can watch the footie with a pint (or several)
  • ASLEF,
    That was an interesting read, thanks for sharing your knowledge ;ok
  • I'm a fount of amusing but basically useless knowledge
  • Aslef, I used to teach history ;wink
    So yes, technically it didn't exist but I still count it as a German victory.
  • ASLEF, Munich,
    History teaches us who we are, what makes us as countries, so not useless info at all.
This discussion has been closed.