Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IF YOU CAN'T SIGN IN, CLEAR COOKIES FROM YOUR BROWSER CACHE

If you aren't sure how to do that, see this thread: whu606.com/discussion/7162/why-am-i-having-trouble-signing-in

If you still can't log in, email whu***@gmail.com (where *** is replaced by numbers I am sure you can work out.) giving the name of the browser and whether you are on PC or mobile device.
Categories +
Table +
PhysioRoom +

The Beckham Debate (comments moved from other thread.)

Seems like enough comments to merit its own thread.
imagelost

Comments

• Hammerex said:

Still the only Englishman to lift the World Cup, and probably the only one
    to ever do so.

I would of liked beckham to lift wc or even European cup
    ianbishoplegend
  • As I’ve said before Beckham imo won fifty caps to many
    baracks_a_hammersweepy23BubblesNeverDies
  • It was all brand Beckham towards the end and a circus with Sven in charge with his substitute cameos topping it up should never have been near the squad again imo
    baracks_a_hammerBubblesNeverDiesMarkNobleLocalHero
  • edited March 4
    Indeed there was times becks should not of played and should been subbed.
    2 things
    I did not think this was anti beckham post!
    And who else, was as good, as him on is day?
  • I don’t think there’s been an England player who’s put as much heart into the game since him. A far better leader than Gerrard or Rooney.
    SuzanneClaretimagelostClaretandBlueforLifeianbishoplegendjay_in_cptMoojoralderzMacca85
  • He was the fourth best midfielder out of four for his club side IMO
    Cuz1ClaretandBlueforLife
  • imagelost said:

Indeed there was times becks should not of played and should been subbed.
    2 things
    I did not think this was anti beckham post!
    And who else, was as good, as him on is day?

I’m not anti Beckham as such just believe he wasn’t good enough to win over 100 caps, and maybe he did because there wasn’t much available out there
    imagelostClaretandBlueforLife
  • I think every team, including the national one, has a place for that player who can single handedly drag his team mates into a win.

Beckham was that player.
    OutcastLondonerimagelostalderzianbishoplegendMacca85
  • I think every team, including the national one, has a place for that player who can single handedly drag his team mates into a win.

Beckham was that player.

Earlier in his career I’d agree when he was at his best but towards the end not for me we didn’t play Hoddle for the same reasons we did play necks but the brand kept him in the team imo

Beckham was that player.

;ok
    Even when he wasn’t the best player.
    alderz
  • I’d agree Beckham was one of the best, if not the best of his generation, but for me he came nowhere near Bobby Moore and can’t be compared with him at all.
  • Don’t agree he was the best of his generation at all. That’s not to say he wasn’t very very good and indeed world class but quite a few others of that era stood out more (IMO)
    Cuz1ClaretandBlueforLifeKuchinghammer
  • Beckham wasn’t a defender so can’t be compared to Moore.
    ianbishoplegend
  • edited March 4

Beckham wasn’t a defender so can’t be compared to Moore.

Regardless of positions played by either player I just don’t think as a player Beckham came anywhere near Bobby Moore. We will just have to agree to differ.
  • But no one ever in the history of everything comes anywhere near Moore.
    ClaretandBlueforLifeHammerwombatimagelostHammerex
  • Why are you comparing them?

Different positions, different eras, different football.

Any comparison is meaningless imo
  • edited March 4
    Comparisons are odious - John Lydgate
    ;wink
  • I’d agree Beckham was one of the best, if not the best of his generation, but for me he came nowhere near Bobby Moore and can’t be compared with him at all.

Yeah but I was a few decades too late for Moore. I probably agree that Beckham’s career was stretched a bit and that’s probably meant people talk about that rather than what he actually did. But for me, the last time I remember caring about England at all was when Beckham was captain. There was something in him that no one has had since, even if there have been plenty of more talented players.
    ClaretandBlueforLifeSuzanneClaret
  • The best crosser of a football I have ever seen.
    ianbishoplegend
  • Thats the crux of it. Beckhams delivery was first class.

A guy who didnt have pace or trickery for someone who played on the wing but he did have heart/pride in the shirt. He knew how to put the ball into the striker and took a decent free kick.

I'd have picked a different Spice Girl though ;hmm ;wink

#MelB
    imagelostCuz1ianbishoplegend
  • I loved watching Beckham play. Incredible vision and accuracy. I think he should have been moved to a deep centre midfield for England. He was still better than anyone else in the team when he retired...still better now. A real game changing player. I would have absolutely been beside myself if the transfer rumors were true (Beckham to West Ham).

• I loved watching Beckham play. Incredible vision and accuracy. I think he should have been moved to a deep centre midfield for England. He was still better than anyone else in the team when he retired...still better now. A real game changing player. I would have absolutely been beside myself if the transfer rumors were true (Beckham to West Ham).

I’m pretty sure they could still come true.
    imagelostSuzanneClaretKuchinghammerianbishoplegendalderzCottee
  • Outcast - But then it probably would tutn out to be Harper Seven who joins the Ladies ;cowboy
  • Well judging by the evra signing he would be in our age range now so why not
    ClaretandBlueforLife
  • Many times Beckham had the biggest impact on the pitch for Engalnd.

You can't ask more from a captain than that...

The game against Greece at OT will long live in the memory...
    SuzanneClaretMunichHammerOutcastLondonerimagelostCottee
  • I’d agree as I’ve said earlier in his career but believe to many caps given by a country mile
    ClaretandBlueforLife
  • Payet or beckham in your team
  • I loved Beckham for England. And for all the brand business, he still just seems a genuinely decent and hardworking person. Never moaned with England, sang the anthem louder than anyone else, and you could just tell it meant so much to him.
    grey_til_I_dye
  • Can never fault him for that to be honest
  • Brand Beckham is another level he was underestimated on. Earning more money now he’s retired than playing. A fanstastic role model in all respects. I do prefer my men a little less metro-sexual though.
    Macca85