Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IF YOU CAN'T SIGN IN, CLEAR COOKIES FROM YOUR BROWSER CACHE

If you aren't sure how to do that, see this thread: whu606.com/discussion/7162/why-am-i-having-trouble-signing-in

If you still can't log in, email whu***@gmail.com (where *** is replaced by numbers I am sure you can work out.) giving the name of the browser and whether you are on PC or mobile device.
Categories +
Table +
PhysioRoom +

Summer window will shut before season starts (totally missed this news...)

So, this was decided (and reported on) last September.

The summer window will shut on the Thursday before the PL season kicks off next year.

This may well not be news to anyone else...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41188235

Comments

• Presumably other transfer windows abroad remain open, kind of making the point of doing this pointless.
  • Lukerz, the UK clubs don't have to sell
    Cottee
  • Expat - but one of the main points to changing it was unsettling players once the season began. This is still going to happen if foreign clubs make offers.

Window shuts and Juve come in for Arnie...just pointless change.
  • Lukerz said:

Expat - but one of the main points to changing it was unsettling players once the season began. This is still going to happen if foreign clubs make offers.

Window shuts and Juve come in for Arnie...just pointless change.

I assume it goes both ways. Transfer window shutting means no deals can be done. So if Juve don’t come in for Arnie before our deadline, they can’t get him.
  • I believe you can sell but not buy while other windows are open.
  • I suppose the theory is that home clubs will just tell potential buyers from overseas clubs that players will only be sold while there is a realistic prospect of getting replacements.

(Some) foreign clubs can still sign our players after the window has closed, and it doesn't seem to cause too much trouble at the moment. But I suppose the foreign clubs in the current situation aren't exactly the most attractive....
  • edited February 22
    Juve get told to think again ;lol
  • Agree with other posters. After the English window closes, seems to me you’re done and you just take the phone off the hook. Pretty sure foreign teams will get the message.
  • Really good move imo. I suspect it will eventually lead to a common early close to the window for most of the major European leagues.
  • Of course, I can imagine DS saying on 31st August that he has been trying really hard all month to sign players, only to be told it's too late ;doh
  • I'd imagine most clubs would make it clear to players and their agents thinking of angling for a move that any deals have to be done before the PL window shuts.
  • Clubs may say that, but in the past couple of years we've seen plenty of players refuse to play / train for their clubs in a bid to force through moves. If we hadn't had a transfer window last January for English clubs I can't see that Payet wouldn't have forced a move back to Marseille regardless.

It's a good move, but only if clubs are strong enough to make a stand against player power, and I'm not sure they are.
  • alderz

I see what you mean, but we've also seen clubs refuse to let players go late in the window if they haven't got a replacement lined up.

As you say, in the end it will be as successful as clubs are prepared to make it.
  • They should stop buying and selling at the same time.

A CL club could look to target English teams with late purchases to weaken their rivals..