Liverpool (A) 24.02.18 15:00 Match Thread

12346»

Comments

• Thankfully we had a pretty good training montage to watch in the week
  • Hamstew said:

Thankfully we had a pretty good training montage to watch in the week

Yup, Evra scoring a worldie at Rush Green pretty much balances out this defeat ;biggrin
  • Other results went our way, otherwise it would’ve been worse
  • Well I didn't really expect or even hope for anything from this game. I don't think we played badly but were up against a good team in form.

It's not the first time that they have had a comfortable win and it won't be the last this season.

Disappointed as always with a loss, but not embarrassed and not worried.

On to the next one. coyi
  • England getting smashed in the rugby ;weep
  • That was probably our hardest test of the games that remain (possibly with the Man Citeh game). No surprise we came up short, but there was no lack of effort, some decent passages of play and if we'd cut out the individual errors, we'd have shipped a couple fewer goals.

I'd imagine we would see Chicarito back next game, with Mario going to the bench.
  • The next one is a very big one, Swans away
  • I never expected a thing today they are far beyond our abilities!!
    The thing is the silly next level quote is what we saw today
    Liverpool are the next level and based on that we are about 250 million in new players away from that
  • Only 250 million I’d suggest more than that
  • I don't think Liverpool and the like are the next level, I think they're two levels away. The next level for us would be to finish somewhere between 6th and 10th. We are never going to be top four and I would be well satisfied with a top six finish but can't see that happening any time soon.
    For most of the match it was like watching a Ford Fiesta trying to keep pace with a Ferrari not only in speed of foot but also speed of thought.
    We had our moments during the game but there were elements of earlier in the season when we couldn't do the basics. Hopefully it's out of our system now but although it's only two defeats this year we've not managed many wins.
  • Wasn't that long ago that there squad was similar level to ours imo
  • Ham,

I think that was more that Liverpool sunk far below their typical standards. They have far more money and are a far greater attraction than West Ham for players.
  • No I don't think so. Just my opinion mind. Obviously they have more cash and more attractive to players but during our Payet period I don't think our players were that far apart.
  • That was a freak season. The current top six teams all had poor seasons by their standards.
  • edited February 2018
    There players weren't that far apart from our players imo. No freak season from them it just wasn't that good.
  • edited February 2018
    I think this was their team when we played them. Maybe missing Lalana and a poor Henderson.
  • This has been a very very easy ride for Liverpool. We have some very tough games coming up and we can't afford to lose more than a couple of them.

This is probably the toughest.
  • Toughest in terms of opposition but I meant tough in importance as defeat against Swansea would see us right down there and after Burnley we have three weeks before our next game but some of our rivals are playing so we could find ourselves in bottom three.
    However we had a reasonably good January, a reasonably poor February so maybe Feb was our worst month of the run in.
  • Liverpool's starting line up was

Mignolet
    Clyne Skrtel Louvren Gomez
    Milner Lucas Can
    Courtinho Benteke Firminho

Henderson and Lallana both injured, Moreno got more starts than Gomez that season but otherwise that was their first choice XI

Yesterday Liverpool had three players from the starting XI two seasons ago with another five on the bench. We had five starters with Reid on the bench.

I'd say they've upgraded since then
  • I hoped one day we would play like arsenal, guess I got my wish ;lol
  • The worst part for me on saturday was our back five
    evra collins zabaleta in against maybe the fastest forward in the prem
    Bizarre
  • Yea Moyes got the team wrong

The entire team lacked pace, especially down the wings with the ageing full backs

Think cresswell had to play at LWB and put Reid or Rice at LCB but tbf that wouldnt have made much difference

Think had Antonio been on we woupdve had an extra outlet and better support for Arnie. Couldve also caused their fullbacks to drop a little as robertson and Alex-Arnold got up the pitch as much as they liked as Mario nor Lanzini were strong enough or quick enough to get us up the pitch
  • Mind they have scored over 100 goals this season. So a back 3, 4 or 5 tend to have problems against them wether they had pace or not.
  • We spanked by a front 3 that has been spanking everyone this season...

They just did Porto 0-5...

If ever there was a game to just dust yourself off from and move on it was this one..
  • Moved some comments re: needed results to relegation thread.
  • I think one win, and two draws against those three, 5 pts, and we should be o.k.
This discussion has been closed.