Patrice Evra signing confirmed

Comments

• See lukerz I agree ;whistle
  • Evra is primarily a defensive midfielder, and played as such for two Italian clubs, Marsala and Monza. At some stage, as he was playing for Nice, he was asked to play out of position as a full back. It stuck, and he played as a FB ever since. In 2007, however, following a string of injuries to Man Utd players, he told Alex Ferguson that he can play as a holding midfielder, and I think he did in a couple of matches. So it may be not such a bad signing - if true. Dendoncker would be better, of course, but we can still get him in the summer - if we stay up...
  • Not impressed in any way shape or form whichever way it’s glossed over or hyped up
  • To put this into some perspective, some fans feel Zabaleta is past it and too old, he was 33 three weeks ago, yet he is three years younger than Evra who is 36 (37 by the end of the season in May). Also his last appearance was in October last year. This seems really desperate.

Zab won't know what's going on with old man Evra calling him lad in the dressing room.
  • His spirit and enthusiasm will lift everyone, Great signing.
  • You have to ask yourself, if he is the answer, what exactly was the question?
  • His spirit and enthusiasm will lift everyone, Great signing.

I’m not so sure the Marseille fans would agree with you as much as I don’t
  • Evra was banned from all UEFA competitions after attacking a fan during the warm for a Europa League Group game against Portuguese club Guimaraes

At least he's played in a UEFA competition this season......
  • I’m not so sure the Marseille fans would agree with you as much as I don’t

Even more reason to love him

• No problem hope it all works out, never thought I’d see the day when we welcome someone who’s fans didn’t want him Bienvenida evra but obviously not from me
  • Apparently, Micky Mouse wears a West Ham United wristwatch.
  • The worst thing is for me that the club don't see what sort of negative reaction this could cause after an underwhelming transfer window. It's as if they don't care.
    It's almost an up yours to a section of the fan base if this is true

Are you suggesting that if the Manager wants to sign a player, the owners should refuse to allow it?

• Two players we didn't sign because I expect the board took notice of the outcry from the fans when news broke we were interested- Diouf & Barton?
  • edited February 2018
    ye gods, let's not have fans voting on player signings.

How can the manager and his team be judged on performances, and lose their jobs if those are judged not good enough) if fans set the transfer policy?

Sack the fans, perhaps? ;whistle
  • Mrs G,

Am I to assume from that you believe the outcry at the time from the fans didn't have any bearing on us not signing either of the players?
  • I don't really know.

I hope it didn't but suspect (at least as far as Diouf goes) that it did.
  • Joey Barton believes it did. ;ok
  • MrsGrey said:

The worst thing is for me that the club don't see what sort of negative reaction this could cause after an underwhelming transfer window. It's as if they don't care.
    It's almost an up yours to a section of the fan base if this is true

Are you suggesting that if the Manager wants to sign a player, the owners should refuse to allow it?

Moyes could have signed Evra during the transfer window.
    If he is a vital part of our plans - then why didn't he. I didn't hear one peep about us monitoring Evra's position.
    We cannot defend this - it shows everything that I feel is wrong with our transfer policy.
  • If Moyes thinks Evra is the solution, even short term, he is taking the mick and should depart. If the board think this is a cheap short term solution they can frankly move on as well.
  • I didn’t get the instant negative reaction in my stomach to this news...

This guy is not a duffer, he has won about 7 titles the CL etc.

The question is of course about his age, as with any player at that age motivation and have his legs gone are the key questions.

In relation to how he fits in with the Squad I’m not sure, I didn’t realise he played as a DM.
  • Evra's a left sided attacking fullback/wingback, maybe Moyes hasn't been too impressed with Cresswell over the last two games and wanted someone else to fill in while Masuaku is on the naughty step (and any future absences).
  • Whether or not he has played as a DM, he isn't a DM. If we are looking for a free transfer DM short term signing, Alex Song makes far more sense.

I think it's more likely that Moyes wants to keep Cresswell at LCB because he's played well there, but is currently needed at LWB. If you consider Cresswell as a CB it means we only have one LWB.
  • Would have been better off getting someone in and bedding them in for us than wasting money wages wise on a player who will be gone at the end of the season
  • But the manager may be gone at the end of the season so why spend money on a player next seasons manager may not want. That's the problem with short termism.
  • Forgot about Masuaku, this deal makes even more sense to me now....

We’re in a relegation fight we need help now, We dont have the luxury of bedding in players at the moment, we need points.
  • IronHerb said:

But the manager may be gone at the end of the season so why spend money on a player next seasons manager may not want. That's the problem with short termism.

Short termism CAN work with managers, but the club needs to have a better longer term strategy that doesn't rely on managers.

When Swansea were achieving well, they had a blueprint of how they wanted to play, and their board only bought in players who could work within it. When they lost a manager, they only went for managers who fit their philosophy. Same as Southampton. Les Reed has been a constant in the scouting and youth side of the game, and the manager just comes in as a head coach. Obviously the manager will have particular player preferences or whatever, but they have to fit the blueprint.

What is our vision as a club? What is our strategy? When I look at West ham as a club, I don't know what it is that identifies us. What drew me to the club as a fan was our loyalty to managers, our desire to play attractive football, and our focus on youth and the academy. I don't see that anymore.

I don't agree with the hate for the owners, but what I think they could do to appease fans is appoint a director of football and a manager who fit a set vision, that they will not waver from.

This post isn't really about Evra anymore I guess.
  • edited February 2018
    Never mind, Sullivan and Gold are making history and may well enter the Guinness Book of records. This from HIRC http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/02/07/are-west-ham-about-to-set-an-unwelcome-new-premier-league-record/

"Evra turns 37 this season and would join 34-year-old centre backs James Collins and Jose Fonte and 33-year-old Pablo Zabaleta in a defence also containing Angelo Ogbonna and Winston Reid who both turn 30 this season. Those players alone have a combined age of just under 200 years with pace none of their fortes in an increasingly quick, physical and demanding Premier League. Throw in either goalkeeper Adrian or Joe Hart - both 31 this season - and it pushes that combined age to nearly 230 years, surely one of the oldest in the history of the Premier League".

All we are now lacking is a sponsorship from a zimmer frame manufacturer. Desperate times.
  • It is probably worth noting that we are unlikely to have Collns, Fonte, Zabaleta, Evra, Ogbonna and Reid all in the same side, though.