Income from player sales since 2010 (Karen Brady Twitter post)

2»

Comments

• It’s a massive risk to sell an asset and go and rent if you have no potential end game you will benefit from. Is the aim to continue aiming for 10th every year in the OS? We were doing that in the Boleyn.

In fact the irony is that when we left the Boleyn we were the closest we’ve ever been to breaking into the top six.
  • OCS

I didn't suggest it was the club's intention.

It is my own conclusion.

Then either way, they've dropped the ball, IMO.

If their intention was to be the 'best of the rest', we didn't need to leave Upton Park.

If their intention was to compete to be one of the top six, then it brings me back to my original point that our average net spend per season, if it continues as it is, will not meet that intention.

As I said yesterday, if we revisit this in another seven years and the club have demonstrated a marked improvement in terms of the money they're prepared/can afford to spend - and an improvement on how they spend it - then I'll be the first to congratulate them on genuinely trying to break into the top 6.
  • The only time I feel they should have invested more was last Boleyn January season. A top foward could, and should have been brought in. Bilic seemed to rave about Eminike, so who knows who’s decision that was.
  • If we had stayed at the Boleyn we don't know what our situation would have been.
  • If we had stayed at the Boleyn we don't know what our situation would have been.

I don’t get this point, which has been raised a couple of times.

Yeah we might’ve got relegated, just like all those other times but we would’ve still had our stadium. One that I think everyone loved rather than one which, at best, splits opinion. IMO, it might’ve been smaller and older but it was a better football stadium.

Every West Ham knows things can get worse but people are obviously going to question what we’ve gained from sacrificing something important to probably every fan. Which league we’re in is temporary, leaving a long-standing home is permanent.
  • Macca85 said:

Unity

Because we were always united through the previous hundred years?
  • Your never going to keep everyone happy but we were a lot more united then than now imo
  • I hate that expression.
  • edited February 2018
    Yes, if you’re going to put full stops after it make the first one an s instead, for British English usage.
  • bbb

Shouldn't be much of a surprise, since we knew that net spend over the summer was around £10m.

Of course, it would have been better if we had got one of the players we were after, but picking up around £22-£30m for Ayew and Sakho (depending on whose figures you believe) was fantastic business.
  • If they made a 10 million pound profit and said with that we will
    Buy the naming rights, change the seat colours to claret or pleeeeease cover the awful gaps between th3 upper and lower tier stands properly I would think fair enough
    Not all of them but just one little thing to show a bit of re investment
  • They have asked if they can help with the naming rights and were turned down!
    They asked if E20 could change the colour round the pitch to claret and were told the only colour we can use is blue!
    The seating is also down to the stadium owners. The 1st contractor who was going to supply and fit "proper" retractable seating, went bust so they were in a hurry so brought somebody else in on the cheap, not realising the time and money it would cost to change from athletic mode to football mode!
    Not thought it through!
  • Hi Dee

Thats very nice of them to ask however maybe they should offer to buy or increase the yearly rent which is already the deal of the century to give them more rights at the stadium.
    Lets be honest with all the public outrage at this deal they will get nothing for nothing of the landlords.
    Surely will can properly fill ths gaps between the stands without permission because that looks two bob
  • So how do we "fill ths gaps between the stands without permission"? That would mean breaking into the stadium. Think about it!
  • There must be a way herb
    where theres a will theres a way, unless theres no will
  • edited February 2018
    Would it need planning permission?
  • As we don't own the stadium I can't see how we can do anything without getting all sorts of permission from various bodies.
    If you owned a property which you were renting out you wouldn't want the tenants to make structural alterations without your knowledge. (Unless of course they were improvements and then you could charge more rent ;biggrin )
  • where theres a will theres a way
    A saying much like 'Anyone can fulfill their dreams if they work hard enough'.
  • A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.

I like this game.

• One man's fish is another man's poisson.
  • Why would another man like a little chicken ;lol
  • lol
    well theyve got to do something as the ground is a bit of let down