Post-transfer discussions (inc is Zab a decent RB/signing)

Comments

• Feel the market is gone

Bargains are possible, but they are bargains at £20mil not £4mil

Even championship clubs can turn down £15+ mil for their players

The most weve spent net cant be more than £30mil,so its not unfeasible to think thats our "budget" just based off past evidence

While a budget makes it too simple, we arent all of a sudden gonna spend £100mil this summer

The club need to focus on the scouting aspect, we have bought poorly the last 2 seasons and have paid the price

Bit nervous about Moyes trasnfers, think Hugill and Evra are pointless signing and Mario is hasnt exactly impressed

Also I dont get the Masuaku links,hes a talented player but he isnt a top 5 team player imo

But £20mil is too cheap as he is so important for us
  • https://www.football.london/west-ham-united-fc/players/west-ham-transfer-news-fernandes-14530374

One of the weirdest articles with quotes as evidence.

Fernandes has been crocked pretty much the entirety of Moyes reign, and since reurning has played 80 mins in one game and started the next. ;hmm
  • edited April 2018
    So, the article refers us to where it copied sourced its article from: SportsWitness.

You follow the link, in search of more info. You find that SportsWitness copied sourced its article from FotoMac.

You go to fotomac, and (in Turkish, via google translate) it says exactly the same thing.

The idea that he 'offered' Edi to Besiktas is what the 'journalist' said and the other 'journalists' repeated. The original direct quote doesn't indicate that, just the cousin's opinion that 'he could be a real star for Besiktas'

Internet journalism ;doh
  • Sam Inkersole is a "digital" correspondent for the Trinity Mirror Group who run the football.london website, i.e. his stuff isn't good enough for a "proper" newspaper but it'll do for the internet. He'd previously worked as senior sports correspondent and sports editor for the Dover Express, Folkestone Herald, Ashford Herald, Thanet Gazette and Canterbury Times,

He graduated from the Uni of Brighton with a BA in Sports Journalism in 2010

He might have started shaving but its hard to say......
  • If it’s in the Folkestone Express, then it’s Gospel. ;sbrew
  • Obviously poor by Hart, but yet another mistake by Zaba, playing Crouch onside then standing still as he strolls past him to slot the rebound.

Had just been thinking that it had been a while since he'd made a costly mistake, and he goes and makes another one.
  • Needs to be upgraded in the summer.
  • Hart made the mistake, not Zab.
  • Zabs experiance shouodve shown there

Was a good 4/5 yards behind our other defenders

But yea immediate repsonse has to be GK

Literally every week we seem to change keeper as both have been poor
  • Was a mistake from Zab to start with but I think he wanted to stay goal side of Crouch in case the ball was lofted towards him and he could put him off a header. That didn't happen and then Hart looked like he was trying to shovel sand into a sack.
  • Hart made the mistake, not Zab.

They both made mistakes; as I said, Hart was poor, but I find it hard to understand why you think Zaba was blameless. He played the scorer onside by being well behind the other defenders, and then just stood there to let him score unchallenged.
  • Because there is no chance if Hart doesn't fumble the ball.

100% Hart's fault.
  • Can't wait until his loan is finished
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43866156

A few freebies. If I could choose three, I think it would be Reina, Can and Wiltshire.
  • I would imagine that if there was list of clubs Emre Can would choose to go to next, we would be towards the bottom of it (if we were on it at all that is).
  • sweepy23 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43866156

A few freebies. If I could choose three, I think it would be Reina, Can and Wiltshire.

Me too.

But all three will have far, far better offers, IMO
  • edited April 2018
    Main priority this summer, should we stay up, is a keeper, pace, youth and the ability to pass the ball.

Tom Cairney
    Jonjo Shelvey
    Ryan Fredericks
    Tom Heaton
    Lewis Dunk

Wouldn't mind any of those.
  • Any but shelvey
  • edited April 2018
    Lukerz ;ok

If we can keep our players fit (or, in fact, just keep them at all) then we have plenty of pace in attack; Antonio, Masuaku, Arnautovic and Lanzini are all quick.

Our problem is, and has been for years, the lack of pace in defence and midfield. I'd be happy with those on your list. However:

Tom Cairney - will depend entirely on whether Fulham get promoted. If they do, is there really any benefit in him leaving them for us?

Jonjo Shelvey - he's rubbish, remember? Sully said so*

Ryan Fredericks - See Cairney

Tom Heaton - This one has a chance. Him or Pope would do us.

Lewis Dunk - No real reason for him to leave Brighton for us, IMO. We are on paper a bigger club but I do wonder whether players will be put off by all of the drama surrounding the club.

Still think a genuine DM is a priority though. Happy to sign Cairney or Shelvey, so long as we get a Dendoncker/Carvalho too.

*this may or may not have actually been said. Given our owner's penchant for voicing his opinions about players the it wouldn't surprise me
  • I think Shelvey has more than proven himself this season but he does seem to split opinion.

I think Cairney is an upgraded version of Noble, from what I've seen. Very good passer and is a productive passer. Fredericks is more of a risk but I think he's the perfect modern day full-back. Certainly has potential. Heaton is proven at PL level and with Pope coming through I think there is a question to ask Burnley. Dunk has had an excellent season this year, was one of the best Championship CB's last season and I feel with Collins on the way out and Reid, although I love him, proving more and more fragile, it's an area we need to look at, especially if 3/5 at the back is to continue.
  • edited April 2018
    OCS ;ok

To be honest, I would back us to sign all of those players, bar Shelvey. I'd also take a punt on Wilshere if we could convince him and there's a couple of lads at Bournemouth I like.

I'd be certain we'd be able to pay bigger bucks than Fulham, Brighton and Burnley, so I think that would be a pull to those players. Of course they may be non-starters, but worth the question. ;ok

I think a DM is vital too, but they are very hard to find and I still have hope Obiang can be that guy. I think a DM is vital if we abandon the 3-4-3/3-4-1-2/whatever formation but with a back five in place, I think it's more important to have two dynamic CM's.
  • Yeah, money talks I guess. If Dunk stays at Brighton he'll be knocking about 14th-18th place on, what £25k a week?

He could do that at West Ham for an extra £10k a week.
  • edited April 2018
    Exactly ;ok

He'll be bottom half at Brighton, on £20,000.

We'll pay him £40,000 for the privilege here.
  • And, tbh, we need to phase the likes of Hart, Zabaleta, Evra, Collins (although hard to take that one), Fernandes (loan?), Hugill (loan?), Kouyate out of the squad.
  • Lukerz said:

I think a DM is vital too, but they are very hard to find and I still have hope Obiang can be that guy.

I like Obiang a lot, but he tends to get a season-ending injury about halfway through, which isn't particularly helpful to us.

We were linked with a couple of DMs in January; I'm sure we'll do some business in that position.
  • no way we can afford all of those players.

Same staple for recruitment as usual

1 player for 20m+
    1 player for 10 - 15m
    2/3 players between 5 - 10m

Most of those players will be valued by their clubs at the 20m+ mark.
  • edited April 2018
    We have no chance with the likes of Pope or Heaton for GK IMO. I believe we have a better chance with Reina, personally. I think he’d go for another go in the Prem. Just the sort of signing Sully likes - free and past his prime. Difference being that unlike hart he is in form having had a very good season for a top club.
  • We have no chance with the likes of Pope or Heaton for GK IMO. I believe we have a better chance with Reina, personally. I think he’d go for another go in the Prem. Just the sort of signing Sully likes - free and past him prime. Difference being that unlike hart he is in form having had a very good season for a top club.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Reina go back to Liverpool. Karius and Mignolet are dreadful.
  • Drinkwater will be available imo. I'd have a go for him.
  • IH

Think Chelseki would want around £30m for him, and I'd like to hope we could get better than him for that sort of money.