TRANSFER WINDOW KLAXON - stand clear, this window is now closed

Comments

• I understand there is a emergency meeting of our transfer committee taking place.

Exclusive pictures...

DU3yabPX4AEzRkf
  • Going in insultingly low just seems to me like a complete waste of time and an ego thing.

If you know a club wanes £20m, maybe they £16m and some bonuses or a player exchange. Then work your way up.

You don’t go in at £10m.
  • Sorry Vorse, but that's the government "Cobra" committee. ;wink
  • Players are only worth what a buying club is prepared to pay bit like an auction
  • Lukerz said:

Going in insultingly low just seems to me like a complete waste of time and an ego thing.

If you know a club wanes £20m, maybe they £16m and some bonuses or a player exchange. Then work your way up.

You don’t go in at £10m.

Yep and they are the first people to have a hissy fit when someone bids for one of our players...

What goes around comes back round...
  • Funnily enough Lukerz, Inkersole has just corrected himself; our original offer was apparently £16m.

Which is fair enough.

And gives me a bit more confidence that a deal can be struck.
  • If the club want £20 million and you offer £10 million, then IMO, you don't want the player.
  • This site is so tiring at times.

If only there were some way to not use it...
  • edited January 2018
    Sam Inkersole tweeted
    "Hearing the initial bid was £10million etc...."

"Hearing" being the operative word here, why are so many taking it for gospel? ;hmm

OCS's post just made this superfluous. ;lol
  • I'm an agent myself (not football) and negotiate every day. It's industry-understood that your first move is exceptionally high/low. Everybody involved in the negotiation knows this is a move to a) show you aren't desperate and b) to show your second/third/fourth offer in a much more reasonable light.

But is that not a monumental waste of time? I mean, if both parties know that the first offer is always derisory, why even bother? Not being flippant, just interested. What industry do you work in Jorderz?
    No, it isn’t, because even though you might have an idea of the upper limit of what you’ll pay, it’s still best business practice to try and get the best deal possible.

In negotiating weakness and desperation is exploited. Aloofness and keeping a hardline is the best way forward (IMO). It means by the time you’ve moved from your first offer to your last offer you’ve made a substantial movement and it allows you to expect that of the other.

All in my opinion, of course.

I’m a literary agent.
  • Ayew close to signing for Swansea for £18m. Hopefully this will give us room for that extra midfielder.
  • Ayew out Smolov in.
  • In negotiating weakness and desperation is exploited. Aloofness and keeping a hardline is the best way forward (IMO). It means by the time you’ve moved from your first offer to your last offer you’ve made a substantial movement and it allows you to expect that of the other.
    I'm just not convinced that aloofness and keeping a hardline is necessarily the best course of action when you're as time-pressed as we are and have only 12 hours to conclude a deal ;ok
  • OCS,

But the fact we are time-pressed is exactly the kind of thing the other negotiator will exploit. If they are led to believe by our offer that we are desperate then we will end up paying so much more.

It's a fine line, but it seems to me the best course is to make them believe we have other options and our interest is limited/capped.

If we act desperate from the off we'll be taken to the cleaners. It seems imperative to me to retain some semblance of power, otherwise we'll splash stupid money everywhere and put the company in jeopardy, particularly as signing footballers is such a risk in terms of investment.
  • Jordan Hugill is the striker in question who we could be signing.
  • The flip-side, of course, is what Sully said happened with Carvalho, where there was too much posturing, everything was left too late and we missed out on him.

Anyway, all seems moot now as the latest 'news' is that we actually bid £16m, which for me is a fair offer to get the ball rolling.
  • Lukerz said:

Jordan Hugill is the striker in question who we could be signing.

;hmm
  • Source was same bloke who mentioned the permanent striker signing.

3 goals in 11 games for Preston this season. Surely not. ;hmm
  • This site is so tiring at times.

If only there were some way to not use it...
    ;ok
  • Jordan Hugill seriously? OK everyone time for bed ;lol

0.25 goals per game in lower leagues...err no thanks. Now tell me that was a joke.

Please someone ;doh
  • Alex song is a free agent
    If funds are tight surely a deal until end of the season
  • We can't, there aren't enough beds in the sick bay.
  • Jordan Whooooooooooooo?
  • My mate a Preston Season Ticket holder when asked is he any good?

"Plenty of Preston fans think he is, personally, I think he’s vastly over-rated. He’s a battering ram and not much else. Honestly don’t understand why we don’t cash in on him. "
  • edited January 2018
    Song - I'd take him in a heartbeat. Pure class player.
  • edited January 2018
    I heard we're re-signing Carlton Cole
This discussion has been closed.