TRANSFER WINDOW KLAXON - stand clear, this window is now closed

Comments

• Its difficult to buy when Moyes is on a short contract himself. The club and players may not wish to commit in this situation so loans are the way forward at this time.
  • That’s a good point Herb
  • MrsGrey said:

Declan Rice is like a new signing imo.

but he isn't
  • And even if he were, it's not in the positions that we need strengthening, IMO
  • Yeold, that's why I said 'is like'. I mean he is a player who has upped his game and now is (imo) a genuine contender for the 1st team. Offering options, and numbers.

OCS. DM?
  • Possibly, Mrs G, but he's a CB by trade, and I'd rather we signed a career DM rather than rely on Rice and/or Zaba filling in.
  • The Cairney rumours rumble on. £17m is the latest bid reported to have been made today.

Which, if you believe the narrative, follows previously rejected bids of £20m and £18m...
  • Silmani going to Newcastle
  • There was me thinking signings players from lower level PL sides was going to be a piece of cake after Sully said the new stadium would make us seem like a ‘top club’ when selling ourselves to new players.

Oh well.
  • If sully learned to button it he would be held accountable for everything
  • And even if he were, it's not in the positions that we need strengthening, IMO

Well no because he has strengthened us in 2 positions.
  • but he can only play in one...
  • Lukerz

If that refers to Cairney ,the reports (if they are to be believed) suggest he wants to come to us, but Fulham won't let him leave.
  • i think what's happened here is the fact we are still only 4 points from the bottom 3
    and moyes is on short term deal they are holding back until the summer to try
    and revamp the squad when we are hopefully still in the league and clear some dead wood out then , this is a risk with all the injury's we have but one i guess they have
    decided to take given the difficulty in making permanent deals which cost millions
    and may not work out .

All we can hope for is a summer that actually see's us not only spend some decent money but actually gets the good players moyes is after in the club.
  • Lukerz said:

There was me thinking signings players from lower level PL sides was going to be a piece of cake after Sully said the new stadium would make us seem like a ‘top club’ when selling ourselves to new players.

Oh well.

Then if we did sign players from lower level PL sides you would have said "How's that the next level?' Damned if you do.......
  • Lukerz said:

There was me thinking signings players from lower level PL sides was going to be a piece of cake after Sully said the new stadium would make us seem like a ‘top club’ when selling ourselves to new players.

Oh well.

What is it that makes you think signing players is so easy?

Teams don't want to sell good players.

Teams don't want to sell to rivals.

Teams don't want to sell players they haven't got time or money to replace.

Teams ask for obscene transfer fees when the buying club has a lot of injuries or a small squad.

That's before you even get on to the players.

Players might not want to leave.

Players might want astronomical, unreasonable wages.

Players might not want to change country/location because of families etc.

Players might not want to join a team who could be playing in the Championship.

But yeah, so easy, isn't it.
  • edited January 2018
    Well Watford got Defolueo
    West Brom got Sturrdige
    Newcastle (might get Slimani)

All gettable imo.
  • I realise that this is a gamble but does anyone else think that not signing anyone might actually be a good move? We have our best players coming back in a couple of weeks which will be like new signings anyway & as someone else has pointed out,Moyes is only on a six month contract as it stands ,so we're hardly going to attract lots of players. We have got rid of Sakho,good player but bad apple in my opinion, brought in Mario who seems to be ok & I'll stick my neck out & say that we can stay up with what we've already got. Assuming I'm right re the last point,why don't we offer Moyes a contract at the end of the season & spend our money in the summer?
  • Jorderz, I don't Luke is saying signing players is easy, but making the point that Sully himself intimated that it would be with the stadium move
  • don't forget our chairman ( director of football ) is working day and night..

At least he can get some sleep tonight along with the rest of us ;biggrin
  • They're hardly worldbeaters, are they?

Delofeu struggled at Everton.

Sturridge is the only player in the Premier League who makes Carroll look healthy.

Slimani has never been mentioned on this board until today (I don't think) and has scored very few goals in the PL.

What would have been so good about getting any of those?
  • edited January 2018

Jorderz, I don't Luke is saying signing players is easy, but making the point that Sully himself intimated that it would be with the stadium move

Did he say it would be easy with the stadium move? Or that it would help ?
  • edited January 2018
    Jorderz

better than what we have currently.

Sturridge has 4 months to bang in some goals to get on the plane to Russia

Slimani is better than Ayew...

Delofeu didn't struggle from what i saw in fact they wanted him perm but couldn't because Barca initiated the release clause to then sell him on for a higher price.
  • edited January 2018
    Here's a snippet from the Beeb:
    I understand that four Premier League clubs are chasing Nick Powell of Wigan Athletic - Brighton, Bournemouth, Swansea and Crystal Palace are all keen.
    Now, assuming for the sake of argument that is accurate, let's follow the logic:

at least 3, if not all 4, of those clubs will fail to sign him.

So, do the clubs involved simply wait to see if they get him, and then chase someone else if they don't?

Seems unlikely.

So they probably have at least one other player in mind that they would sign if they couldn't get him, and one imagines that they have already started the process.

Now, if more than one club is interested in that player...

Well, you get the idea.

The whole point of a scattergun is to make sure you hit something, without having to aim at a single, specific, target.

By that definition, I'd say for the majority of positions clubs want to fill there is a 'scattergun' approach, since otherwise they face not signing anyone.

If by 'scattergun' one means to imply 'thoughtless/random' then I don't think our club, or indeed any club, takes that approach.
  • Jorderz, I don't Luke is saying signing players is easy, but making the point that Sully himself intimated that it would be with the stadium move

Sully's mouth is so frequently full of his own feet that it's very difficult to hear a word he says.

Honestly, Sully is a brash, ambitious and talkative man. All this talk of what we were 'sold' by him is nonsense. I wasn't sold anything, and nor were a lot of other people who understood Sully was never guaranteeing things he couldn't guarantee.

Sully does a lot of talking and a lot of hoping. He shows ambition and confidence and every word he says gets brought back and thrown in his face as if it were some kind of 'promise'. Promises don't exist in football.

He has big ideas and may or may not deliver on them. But for him to be constantly crucified for ambition, whether misplaced or not, is holding him to an entirely unfair standard, IMO.
  • Madrid

Well if the notion is that it is notoriously difficult to sign players in Jan and therefore focus on a less panicked strategy in the summer then maybe

Problem is we are not overly great in the summer windows either IMO
  • Jorderz

better than what we have currently.

Sturridge has 4 months to bang in some goals to get on the plane to Russia

Slimani is better than Ayew...

Delofeu didn't struggle from what i saw in fact they wanted him perm but couldn't because Barca initiated the release clause to then sell him on for a higher price.

What difference does it make how many months Sturridge has to score goals if he spends them injured?

How many PL goals has Slimani scored versus Ayew?

As for Delofeu, he wasn't in the Everton team very much from what I remember, and I can't remember him pulling up many trees. Could be wrong, though.
  • The Silmani deal is reported as costing £5mil once agents fees /loan fee / wages taken into account so about £300K a game till the end of the season not sure that is v good value as he injured at the moment aswell
  • Sturridge wanted West Brom for personal/family reasons
  • Not worth that imo , stupid deal for a player who couldn't get football
    at Leicester city .

And he is currently injured .
This discussion has been closed.