TRANSFER WINDOW KLAXON - stand clear, this window is now closed

1151617181921»

Comments

• Moojor said:

OCS, they may have named their price, but they may have been waiting on bids from at least 4 clubs, they may have been waiting until the last minute to see if they could push the price up even further. When people want to blame the owners they will find any possible chance and not look to see all the possible reasons why it didn't happen.

Mooj, just to be clear, I accept that there are a whole range of possibilities as to why the deal didn't go through. It may have been Anderlecht dragging their heels. It may have been the player not wanting to commit. It could have been almost anything.

I'm not blaming the owners because I want to blame the owners; I'm blaming the owners because I personally believe they're responsible for the deal not getting done.
  • Will judge the failure at the end of the season.

I’m personally happy to call this season a shocker right now.
    I can’t call West Ham at mid-table and 5th in the form league a shocker. Last couple of months have been promising.

Everton splashed the big cash at the right times and it didn’t get them far.

To be fair to the board out people - I do think Sullivan try’s too hard to get the last million off a player sometimes. That’s what got him where he Is in the world, and he’s a bit old to change. I think he gets the managers top target without fail I.e Payet and Hernanadez, then looks to get the best deal he can on the lower down the list targets. I cannot blame him for wanting to save a few million! I like the fact they are prudent and don’t get us into deep water like the Icelandic’s or QPR.

• I am absolutely convinced that both Carvalho and Dendoncker could have been West Ham IF we truly had the funds and the will to make them ours. The bottom line is I think we are skint and these "targets" are, as one great man said, merely our opiates.
  • I think (not 100% sure) the Anderlecht president came out and said Dendonker was set to go but couldn't let him because they couldn't get a player back they had loaned out earlier back to the club? or that might have been Amadou of Lille.

• That was Lille, Yeold ;ok
  • edited February 2018
    From a few sources...
    We offered around £5mill up front for Dendonker. Anderlecht were prepared to accept that if they could keep him on loan to the end of the season (probably for the reasons that Yeold is referring to above). We then offered around an extra £8-10 mill payable in the summer to get them to release him now, but Anderlecht were not interested and we had left it too late to do anything else. We obviously didn't have the available money up front that Anderlecht wanted in this window for this player imo.
  • It can't just be us, though can it?

otherwise there wouldn't be any signings on the last day, would there?

Arsenal missed out on Evans, Palace missed out on Amadou, and if rumour is to be believed, Hugill.
  • Not saying it is Grey - I'm only interested in us. ;ok
  • Sakho was told he could go in January, went at the end. Ayew wanted to go, Swansea got him at the end.
    Arsenal spent all January trying to get their man and Chelsea had a list as long as your arm of their targets and got Giroud on the last day. They couldnt get any of their targets.
    Man City wanted Sanchez but coukdnt get him.
    Why people think we can just go in and say we want the player and that player and it's as easy as that.
  • edited February 2018
    Thorn
    The difference with our scenario is that basically with Anderlecht we were pushing at an open door if we came up with the money. The player was ready to move.
    We didnt come up with the Money Again.
    Arsenal were dependant on Dortmund getting Bats to free up Aubemayang (?), That freed up the move for Giroud who was surplus at the Arse. Money was not the issue.
    Man city didnt want Sanchez fairly early on as they didnt really need him for that sort of money, and upset their stratospheric wage structure.

Its like comparing apples and pears.
  • http://metro.co.uk/2018/02/01/alan-pardew-confirms-west-brom-rejected-deadline-day-move-arsenal-sign-jonny-evans-7279292/

Open door? check.

Last day? check

Opening bid below selling club valuation? check

Failed to sign player? check.

Arsenal.

I wonder if, with this kind of thing being so prevalent throughout the football world in all countries and all leagues, it is not so much an indication of ineptitude or miserliness. It is just a combination of factors like tactics, changing requirements, personal animosities, brinkmanship, people changing their minds, cutting your losses and a bunch of other stuff we wot not of. Just the nature of the beast.
  • Send that last paragraph to Sully Mrs Grey - that's a perfect press release - he's been a bit quiet lately ;biggrin
  • People who don’t deliver often blame everything under the sun. You see it an awful lot in the workplace too.

As far as I am concerned, did sully try?? I expect he tried extremely hard. Personally though I don’t care about that

Ultimately he came up short. Twice in a row.
  • All I hope is after sully has not spent the 25 mil he said was put aside from the carvalho deal and the nigh on 20 mil made in this window, the next time he’s is asked about our debt it had better not beep the standard “ 100 million “
  • Moyes saying he expected salami deal to be done and woke up weds to find it was off and the loan deal didn’t go through because we couldn’t commit to the deal without seeing much of him play which I find strange as to why you would want him in the first place
  • Lololol
    Circus
  • I think Slimani hasnt been given a lot of chance. If you go to Leicester you must know you're going to be behind Vardy and the style of play that suits him (as with Spurs, you have to get past Kane).

However, unless it really was just a loan, then I think they would've asked a large fee. I'm happy we paid significantly less for Jordan. From his words I'd say he'll be 100% committed and give us a different dimension which may help Hernandez whilst Arnies out.
  • As I mentioned I’m happy with Jordan think he might just be one of those better suited to the premier league with better players around him just a hunch
  • edited February 2018
    On the season... It's been a bit on the traumatic side. However, I think Moyes will make us better and there have been signs of that already.

Once Arnie, Lanzini are back (we'll also have Reid and Fonte back soon) if Antonio can be injury free and turn up on time (with no attitude if rumours are to be believed) I can see

Arnie Jordan Antono with Lanzini Mario behind being pretty decent

Adrian
    Byram Reid Ogbonna Cresswell Arthur (Rice Fonte Zab Ginge)
    Mario Lanzini Kouyate Nobes (Obiang Zab again in short term)
    Antonio Jordan Arnie (Hernandez Carroll maybe. His wages off bill would be good though)

I think we have the makings of a creative and powerful team going forward. A couple of signings in the summer (maybe even DM ;wink ). I wonder on Carroll and Antonios future. We'll also need another GK (Hart wages off bill would be nice too) Despite not wanting Moyes, I think he'll do a good job
  • Batshuayi scored 2 on his debut for Dortmund. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42926545
  • edited February 2018
    I should just bite it and change my handle. If he was ever even going to come on loan to us it wouldve been this window...

Is 'Adrián San Miguel del Baztillo' too long a handle Grey?

# ;weep
  • He was never going to come to us in this window because frankly he would have had a whole host of far better options - such as the one he has picked.
  • logic had nothing to do with it! I had the handle, the least he could've done was make it legit ;wahoo
  • That’s the last time you ask him to be godfather to your chhild, eh?
  • ;hmm

So we had £25m to spend.

Dendoncker, who Moyes has said we were after, was available at £18m.

Am I missing something?

I'd imagine that an offer for Allen was probably structured over the term of the contract, less up front, performance dependant clauses, etc. Which is essentially what we offered for Dendoncker but were rebuffed.
This discussion has been closed.