Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IF YOU CAN'T SIGN IN, CLEAR COOKIES FROM YOUR BROWSER CACHE

If you aren't sure how to do that, see this thread: whu606.com/discussion/7162/why-am-i-having-trouble-signing-in

If you still can't log in, email whu***@gmail.com (where *** is replaced by numbers I am sure you can work out.) giving the name of the browser and whether you are on PC or mobile device.
Categories +
Table +
PhysioRoom +

Wigan away (match thread) the glamour tie of the round, 27.1.18

Let’s not take this to a replay and smash them at the DW
imagelost

Comments

• Half of me wants to come away with resounding win, half of me wants a replay because I've got two weeks off starting from 28th Jan so I'd be able to go
    ClaretandBlueforLife
  • We play Crystal Palace a few days after this match, which for me is far more important. Then after that is Brighton then Watford. So our next 3 Premier League games are important ones in terms of league position and hopefully avoiding relegation. So my team would be:

-------------------- Hart ------------------
    ---- Burke ---- Collins ---- Ogbonna ----
    Byram - Oxford - Culen - Rice - Arthur
    ------ Hernandez --- Martinez -------

Subs: Adrian, Zabaleta, Cresswell, Noble, Quina, Ayew, Arnie
    ClaretandBlueforLifemike
  • I completely agree

That and the fact that we are struggling with injuries already

We are 11th but still not to far above the relegation zone
  • We play Crystal Palace a few days after this match, which for me is far more important. Then after that is Brighton then Watford. So our next 3 Premier League games are important ones in terms of league position and hopefully avoiding relegation. So my team would be:

-------------------- Hart ------------------
    ---- Burke ---- Collins ---- Ogbonna ----
    Byram - Oxford - Culen - Rice - Arthur
    ------ Hernandez --- Martinez -------

Subs: Adrian, Zabaleta, Cresswell, Noble, Quina, Ayew, Arnie

Like that team but can't see Oxford being here. Also think we need a bit of creativity in it, the problem is with Lanzini out, who is there?
  • Haksabanovic and Samuelsen are probably out next best thing, but one is on loan and the other hasn't had a first team appearance yet so I can't see Moyes giving him a run against Wigan.

Could really do with a couple of midfielders coming in this week.
  • I’m in two minds on this match, I’d love us to progress as far as possible in this years FA Cup, but as others have pointed out we need to pick up points in the PL which as the PL seems tighter than ever this season is equally if not more important than the FA Cup, hopefully we can do both ;ok
  • We’ve turned a corner in the PL. let’s take the cup seriously.
    imagelostSlaven_Cups_His_Beard
  • Haksabanovic and Samuelsen are probably out next best thing, but one is on loan and the other hasn't had a first team appearance yet so I can't see Moyes giving him a run against Wigan.

Could really do with a couple of midfielders coming in this week.

Hacksaw made his first team debut against Bolton in the League Cup

Also we need Noble in the starting XI, just because
  • Also we need Noble in the starting XI, just because
    You've started so allow me to finish.......because....no Noble no win ;quaver ;quaver ;scarf
    ClaretandBlueforLife
  • ...........................Hart...........................
    .........Burke........Collins.......Rice...........
    Byram......Cullen.....Obiang......Masuaku
    ...................Haksabanovic.....................
    .............Martinez.......Hernandez...........

Assuming all of the above are fit. Tempted to start Noble, don`t know much about Haksabanovic, or if Quina would be considered a better fit, but I believe both are tricky little players who like to carry the ball and would be seen as natural replacements for Lanzini. Either should be given the chance in this with Lanzini injured imo. ;scarf
  • Madcap: agree, but Quina or Ayew for Masuaku (give the guy a rest!) And Nobes to stand on the touchline shouting encouragement, or maybe replacing Hacksaw.
  • As others have said more interested in staying up than the fa cup.
    I would play all the youngsters as we need our senior players fresh for palace.
  • Kuching, fair point regarding Masuaku, I think he has played every game since Moyes took over, however, I think he is young enough and fit enough. I couldn`t really think of anyone else apart from Cresswell to put there. Not sure who the U23 left back/wing back is, Pike?? Quina is a good shout. Would really love to win this, but also really want to see some of the youth given a chance.
  • The Lanzini injury just put this game into perspective for me

Would Lanzini have pulled up (with a fatigue injury) had he not played 120 minutes only a few days prior, it would've been a lot less likely imo

Now we have lost one of our best for at least a couple weeks!! Imagine that happening to Arnie.... or Noble or Ogbonna etc all stand outs under Moyes

Play the kids/reserves and tell them they have to impress or be sent out on loan, as the performance against Shrews really wasn't good enough

Hart
    Burke Collins Rice
    Byram Cullen Oxford Quina Sead
    Martinez Hernandez
    mike
  • My thoughts indeed champo.
    I think we should have rested him and marko for the game against shrewsbury
  • Madcap - i'm sure i read only Ogbonna has played every game under Moyes. Agree Arthur could do with a rest though.
  • edited January 22
    Dunno about Ogbonna.

But saw this earlier.

And Masuaku, who has played all but 17 of a possible 1,350 minutes since mid-November, says a free midweek has come just at the right time.
    Read more at http://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2018/january/22-january/masuaku-full-week-will-mean-were-ready-wigan#FSO4SF6xRJkwbbi1.99
  • Was going to go but the train fares are nearly £100 I think for a January game it might be a expense too far and I don't fancy a coach or driving
  • The club are doing cheap coach travel... no use if you don't want to go by coach though. ;whome
    ClaretandBlueforLife
  • ...........................Hart...........................
    .........Burke........Collins.......Rice...........
    Byram......Cullen.....Obiang......Masuaku
    ...................Haksabanovic.....................
    .............Martinez.......Hernandez...........

Assuming all of the above are fit. Tempted to start Noble, don`t know much about Haksabanovic, or if Quina would be considered a better fit, but I believe both are tricky little players who like to carry the ball and would be seen as natural replacements for Lanzini. Either should be given the chance in this with Lanzini injured imo. ;scarf

Technically neither are "natural" replacements for Lanzini. Hak'vic is naturally a winger and not a CAM. Quina is a hard one to describe... he can pick passes from a deeper defensive midfield position but he can also sort of play in a central attacking midfield role. Closest PL player I could describe his style of player to would be a more agile version of Rooney.
  • Welove ;ok

I would have thought that Samuelsen would have been a natural understudy to Lanzini and was surprised when he went out on loan. Would pick the same 11 then based on the above but with Quina behind the front two.
  • Can we afford to risk Hernandez for this one, given that he is likely to be our main striker now? Imagine him getting injured against Wigan and our forward options for Palace and Brighton - two massive games - being Ayew and Martinez.

I don't think we can take that chance, TBH.
  • Fair point OCS.

Moyes and Pearce as the front two it is then. ;footie
  • If we weren't having really bad luck we would be having no luck at all ;weep
    Whitehorsehammer
  • Fair point OCS.

Moyes and Pearce as the front two it is then. ;footie

Think you would be better off with Pearce at the back and find someone with pace up front, square peg and round holes and all that
  • Stick him in midfield so he can growl at every one especially Kouyate!
  • Hernandez needs game time.
    MrsGrey
  • Is Sakho actually injured or is he sulking or on the naughty step. Because if he isn`t injured he should be straight back in the squad, I assume he is still drawing a wage. Needs must.
  • Injured, according to Twitter.

Thing is, you never know with Sakho.

Would be amazed, and aggrieved, if we're turning down eight-figure offers for him.
  • I thought we were just wrapping him in cotton wool expecting a sale. If he`s not playing, not likely to play, and is injured again, then yes, we are bonkers turning any sort of money down for him.
This discussion has been closed.