Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IF YOU CAN'T SIGN IN, CLEAR COOKIES FROM YOUR BROWSER CACHE

If you aren't sure how to do that, see this thread: whu606.com/discussion/7162/why-am-i-having-trouble-signing-in

If you still can't log in, email whu***@gmail.com (where *** is replaced by numbers I am sure you can work out.) giving the name of the browser and whether you are on PC or mobile device.
Categories +
Table +
PhysioRoom +

Taming of the Shrews 07 Jan (FA cup Match Thread) and replay 16 January

Comments

• edited January 6

Got to be honest, I'd be 'oh, well' if we lost.

Grey (+ to others who feel this way..)

I just don't get that at all. If i our only ambition is to 'stay up' then why move from Upton Park?

We struggled to stay up at Upton Park (most of the time), we may as well have stayed there? Wheres this next level?
  • edited January 6
    Who says that 'to stay up' is the only ambition of those who won't be gutted if we lose in the 3rd round f the FA Cup this year?

Well, you do, obviously. But I haven't heard anyone else say that.

So while I, too, won't be upset beyond the normal level of upset at losing, I can (speaking for myself) say that staying up is not my only ambition.

I do, though, prioritise staying in the PL over winning a Cup. (Although doing both would be better.)

OldCastleSwift
  • loose in the 2nd round ;puzzled
    imagelost
  • edited January 6
    Twist

I just don't get that at all. If i our only ambition is to 'stay up' then why move from Upton Park?
    Well, I don't get it either, but then since I didn't say or imply that, that should come as no surprise.

Separately, you keep referring to 'next level' as thought the club had promised that it would happen from the first day of the move, which they clearly didn't.

To get us from struggling lower table to comfy mid-table regulars is the 'next level' imo.

Bilic was unable to deliver that, so the club made a change.

If, however, you believe that 'next level' involves a guarantee of winning trophies, I fear you will be sorely and regularly disappointed.
  • steve ;ok Corrected. I have a dodgy 3 key on my laptop. (Well, actually, it isn't on my laptop but in the fruit bowl. I must get round to fitting it back on at some point ;doh )
  • ;phew had me worried there Mrs Grey
  • I for one will be bitterly disappointed if we go out to Shrewsbury.
    TwistandShout
  • Wont be easy never is with us ,but they are 2nd pushing to go up so nearly championship team and there at home so will be there cup final ............ ;sofa
  • edited January 6

Twist

Well, I don't get it either, but then since I didn't say or imply that, that should come as no surprise.

Separately, you keep referring to 'next level' as thought the club had promised that it would happen from the first day of the move, which they clearly didn't.

To get us from struggling lower table to comfy mid-table regulars is the 'next level' imo.

Bilic was unable to deliver that, so the club made a change.

If, however, you believe that 'next level' involves a guarantee of winning trophies, I fear you will be sorely and regularly disappointed.
    As a fan, what are your aims/hopes at the start of the season?
    No cup run?
  • Anyway back to the game.
    Have backed us to win 3-1 at 18/1
    MrsGrey
  • edited January 6
    But we aren't AT the start of the season - we are half way through.

What relevance are start-of-the-season hopes to a match in January?

Anyway, http://www.whu606.com/discussion/10201/slaven-bilic-targets-top-six-finish-for-west-ham-next-season-except-he-doesnt-what-about-you makes for interesting reading. In a hindsight sort of way.
  • So you didn't look forward to an FA Cup run at the start of the season?
  • edited January 6
    I always think a cup run would be nice, but my hopes are focused only the league.
  • Herb

Not sure why you would say that, or think that.

I can't think what I have said that would lead you to that view.
  • Grey,
    Responding to Mrs G 'What relevance are start-of-the-season hopes to a match in January? ;ok
  • I think a focus on the cups is very important and don’t see why it should be at the expense of the league. Otherwise what’s the point? We are not going to be able to spend £100m plus just on full backs and therefore competing for the league will be out of the question - I don’t see another Leicester happening any tIme soon. We have little hope in competing for a CL spot either. And even if we manage to snare a Europa spot, based on the last time, having managed to achieve this we didn’t seem to take that particularly seriously either (yes it was an early start but do our magnificent supporters not deserve to have a few European road trips?)
  • MrsGrey said:

I always think a cup run would be nice, but my hopes are focused only the league.

I'd take relegation to win the FA Cup. Without a second's hesitation.
    Dodger58
  • edited January 6
    I dont think at this stage of the season its one or the other; The PL is important but likewise the cup is our only chance of glory and also potentially our best route into europe as well but it can be managed; at this stage of the season we in the lower end/mid table pack whereby if we are able to string a decent run together we can break free from the relegation threat and in doing so, can then reassess the cup games as they unfold.

On Sunday we are playing a lower league side after playing 2 games in 3 days, so I'm fine with us playing a rotated side but depending on the opposition and the stage of the cup we must adapt accordingly. The 4th round will fall between 2 Home games vs CPFC (Sat 20 Jan) and Bournemouth (Tues 30th Jan), which will be two important games in our season and its a very tight schedule once again unless the game is picked for the the Friday F.A Cup slot, so we may be in a similar situation for the next round. If we progress to round 5 it will fall in between games against Watford and Liverpool but played on the weekend and no midweek games, so its entirely feasible to give it the respect it deserves and attack each game as it comes.

As for this weekend, No Idea what the injury situation is like or who is in the squad so its a complete guess, but I'd go for-

------------------------HART-----------------------
    ------------BURKE---COLLINS----RICE----------------
    ---ANTONIO-----CULLEN---OXFORD-----MASUKAU-----
    -------------QUINA-----------AYEW-----------------
    ----------------------MARTINEZ---------------------
  • Leicester played a rotated first team squad X1 against mid table Fleetwood and were fortunate to draw. If we put 5 kids out against 2nd in the table Shrewsbury we are likely to get comfortably beaten.
    imagelost
  • TWC

Just to clarify, afaIk, no one has said it is either one or the other.
  • MrsGrey said:

I'd take relegation to win the FA Cup. Without a second's hesitation.
    I am afraid that for me avoiding relegation has to be the priority, relegation could be devastating to the future of the club, as for the cup, there will always be next year.

That does not mean that I would not enjoy, nor look forward to a cup run.

Unfortunately, despite our recent results which have helped us tremendously, we are deluding ourselves if we think that we are out of the mix and that relegation is not a real threat this year

Just my tuppence worth.

MrsGreyDeanscaleshammerwhupathmanalderzWhitehorsehammer
  • TWC

Just to clarify, afaIk, no one has said it is either one or the other.

Of course ;thumbsup .The talk at times seems to be that they cant be exclusive and that one or the other has to suffer if the other is given more of a priority, but with a bit of good management (rotation) and luck with the cup draw, you can target both competitions and use the cup games as momentum for the league.
    chicagohammer
  • Burke and Cullen start according to Ex, along with Rice and Hart.
  • Is there going to be a stream for this?
  • Outcast

I'll start a streams thread in around an hour.

It is on BBC 1 in the UK.
    OutcastLondoner
  • Im actually really excited to see the youth been given a shot

it feels like Cullen and Burke have been talked about for ages and I never had the pleasure to see them when they were ripping it up at Bradford, which coincidentally I think players like Browne, Samulesen, pike etc could be sent there and could potentially be a good feeder club

Shame that it looks like this game comes too soon for Oxford

Would not surprise me though if the team looks a little disjointed today as there will be a lot of players who haven't played together before

2-1 hammers
  • Is there going to be a stream for this?

It's live on freeview TV (for once)!
  • I expect to see rotation but if we don’t take this seriously we will be knocked out. Shrewsbury are well and truly on the up, won’t be the best pitch, small ground.

We need the right attitude and several first teamers.

I’d like to see:

Hart
    Zabaleta - Burke - Rice - Masuaku
    Noble - Obiang - Cullen
    Ayew - Chicharito - Haksabanovic

Adrian, Reid, Kouyate, Lanzini, Quina, Carroll, Martinez

That way you only bring in 3 youngsters to impress but keep the rest of the side strong with the experience of Hart, Zab and Noble.
  • edited January 7
    Lukerz

No sense from Moyes that we aren't taking it seriously:
    I’d like to say we won’t make a lot of changes on Sunday, because I try to be consistent, but the bigger problem is the number of players we have available and the fatigue due to the amount of effort they’re putting into the games for us just now. Plus, we’ve got injuries, but if I have my way I’ll put out as strong a team as I possibly can there.
    Read more at http://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2018/january/05-january/moyes-relishing-fa-cup-return-shrewsbury#BKQQ72hg0h4eQgXo.99
    ClaretandBlueforLife
This discussion has been closed.