Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IF YOU CAN'T SIGN IN, CLEAR COOKIES FROM YOUR BROWSER CACHE

If you aren't sure how to do that, see this thread: whu606.com/discussion/7162/why-am-i-having-trouble-signing-in

If you still can't log in, email whu***@gmail.com (where *** is replaced by numbers I am sure you can work out.) giving the name of the browser and whether you are on PC or mobile device.
Categories +
Table +
PhysioRoom +

Taming of the Shrews 07 Jan (FA cup Match Thread) and replay 16 January

Comments

• Shrewsbury will be without their regular goalkeeper Dean Henderson because he's on loan from Man U and they won't let him play in Cup matches. Instead they'll have back up Craig MacGillivray who has played nine times this season and only kept one clean sheet against WBA U23s in the EFL Trophy
    ClaretandBlueforLife
  • OCS, Samuelsen was watching in the stands yesterday. (Noticed him sitting behind Martinez). He had an injury but has been back. The problem is the u23's haven't had a game for a while as the last 2 were postponed. Id expect to see him play on Sunday
  • If the U23s haven't played in a while it might mean our youth options are limited too. If they don't have the match sharpness it could impact their ability to get through the game, and at the very least Moyes will want a team that can compete for the whole 90.

re: RWB. I agree that Byram has potential, but his injury record is shocking. He's been here two years now and played 29 times. That's awful. I think we either need to consider Antonio a RWB option, or we need another. Trying to come up with a side for this game is really difficult because of that position, IMO. I think that's why some people have suggested a back 4 (it's certainly why I did... actually, did I post a team? I know I wrote one out... ).

Against a League One side we should dominate the ball, and I think it wouldn't be unreasonable to play a right sided midfielder instead of a wingback. But I'm not even sure how many of them we have available? ;hmm
  • Is Rice only left-footed?

Otherwise, he could do for us on the right.
  • It may have to be Kouyate
  • Well, we took our eye off the ball against Arsenal in the cup by playing a weakened team and then lost to Newcastle. We need to maintain momentum. rest a few for sure, put a couple on the bench but don't stick 4 or 5 kids in as Shrewsbury wallet them alive. Remember Forest?
    I'm with Horsham on this and we should look to progress in the cups.
    Slojo
  • Grey

I think Rice is right footed?
    ASLEFshruggedSlaven_Cups_His_Beard
  • We aren’t a very good side right now, Horsham, with limited resources. A couple of key injuries and we are in major trouble.

Beating Shrewsbury hardly makes it likely we’re going to win the cup. However, two or three injuries to any of, say, Arnie, Lanzini, Noble, Obiang, Ogbonna, Zabaleta, and we struggle badly in the league from then on.

Losing to Shrewsbury makes it even less likely.

• Alderz

Looks like he is two-footed, then.

It's how he describes himself in an interview I just looked at:
    I see myself as a ball playing centre back that can play with both feet.
    I only asked as he looked so comfortable on his left in the last two games.
    alderz
  • Alderz, Antonio should make a decent wingback in the Victor Moses mould, I know he was a disaster as an out and out right back, but he certainly has the attributes to be a wing back. Its a shame because I think (in his own head) he has ruled himself out of playing there after his poor showings as fullback. On saying that, if Moyes wants to play him as a forward in tandem with Arnie I have no problem with that as it gives us pace and movement up front.

Grey, I think Rice is right footed, but looks comfortable with both. AS ALL PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALLERS SHOULD ON THOUSANDS A WEEK.
    tomkinsworldclasssecrethammersfanalderz
  • edited January 5
    Twist and others' choice for RB commits a foul and is yellow carded. Ref asks him what his name is, the captain says "Don't tell him, Pike".
    ;biggrin ;yercoat
    Cuz1TheMadcapLaughsimagelostwhupathmanKuchinghammer
  • Stupid boy............................................
    imagelost
  • Try to stick to as strong defense and attack as possible but refresh midfield.

Hart
    Kouyate Reid Ogbonna
    Samuelson Noble Rice Quina
    Haksanabovic
    Arnautovic Hernandez
  • Grey ;ok

He’s been excellent on the left so far. Huge future for us and Ireland I hope.
    Hammerdublin
  • NEoldiron said:

Twist and others' choice for RB commits a foul and is yellow carded. Ref asks him what his name is, the captain says "Don't tell him, Pike".
    ;biggrin ;yercoat

Geoff Pike ;hmm
  • Try to stick to as strong defense and attack as possible but refresh midfield.

Hart
    Kouyate Reid Ogbonna
    Samuelson Noble Rice Quina
    Haksanabovic
    Arnautovic Hernandez

I like this, but ?
  • Why would we go 4 at the back, for the thousandth time it doesn`t work for us. We have found a system that works, and one in which we look a billion times more comfortable in, and still people want to try 4 at the back. 3-5-2, 3-4-1-2 or if the occasion demands 3-4-3. This is how we play, this is how we should play, buy the players or use the players we have to FIT THIS SYSTEM. I would love to see three or four youngsters start, to include (if fit) Byram, Oxford, Haksabanovic and possibly Quina. Please, for the love of God, not 4 at the back. Thankyou. ;scarf

A lot of us would like to see a completely different 11 for this one. Our first team regulars may suit playing with wing backs and 3 CB's but that doesn't necessarily mean it'll apply to the youth players.
    imagelost
  • Holland is broken.

As is Oxford, I think.

And Burke and Cullen still at Bolton.

Not sure what's going on with Samuelsen. Haven't heard his name mentioned for months ;hmm

He's played the last 3 games or so (maybe more) for our u23's. Our u23's were having a cracking season but since about November time they've lost every match. So presume he hasn't done too wel but from the sounds of it, nor have the other players recently.
  • Alderz, Antonio should make a decent wingback in the Victor Moses mould, I know he was a disaster as an out and out right back, but he certainly has the attributes to be a wing back. Its a shame because I think (in his own head) he has ruled himself out of playing there after his poor showings as fullback. On saying that, if Moyes wants to play him as a forward in tandem with Arnie I have no problem with that as it gives us pace and movement up front.

Grey, I think Rice is right footed, but looks comfortable with both. AS ALL PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALLERS SHOULD ON THOUSANDS A WEEK.

I've said it before but Antonio should not play anywhere in defence. Not RB, not RWB either. His ideal position is RW, it's as simple as that. His second best position is as a striker or right midfield. No more of "try him in this position" nonsense imo especially if the position is anything defence related.
  • IMO his best and most consistent period for us was when he played RWB
  • I'd like Kouyate and Chicarito to play as both of them need confidence and game time. Apart from that I am not all that fussed. Carroll on the bench, perhaps Sakho up front with Chicarito.
  • I'll be gutted if we lose this.
    We need a mix if youth and experience. I would have Noble on the pitch.
  • Got to be honest, I'd be 'oh, well' if we lost.
  • Makasi was on the bench last match. Any idea where he could play? So... Hart. Chicarito, Martinez. Rice. Hacksaw, Samuelson, Quina. Nobes the lucky mascot. Koyate in defence. Subs Carroll, Reid, Obiang. Result?
    Hart
    Koyate Oddbins (Reid) Rice
    Quina Samuelson Noble Hacksaw Arnie (Obiang)
    Chicarito Martinez (Carroll)
    and Makasi, wherever he can play.
    11 men and a Makasi. What could go wrong? ;hmm
  • Moses Makasi is a DM/CM, scored against Swindon in the EFL Trophy and he's also the U23s captain

David Moyes made 108 appearances and scored 12 goals for Shrewsbury Town 1987-90
  • He's in! (David Moyes, that is)
  • I'd be miffed if we lost. We need a mix of youth and experience. The good thing is Rice and Oxford (if fit) are both.
  • Outside the top 6 or so, whenever a team has to, or chooses to, make several changes for a cup game, they are running a risk.

For example, if Shrewsbury play their regular XI, we are facing a team that have a set system, and are familiar with how the others operate within that.

The question then is whether the players we put out can gel quickly, and operate at their normal, PL level.

If we go out to lower level opposition, it will hardly be the first time.
  • If Moses Makasi is a defensive midfielder who according to the official site is "strong in the tackle and composed in possession," at 22 (no spring chicken) surely this is the ideal game to give him a go. We are crying out for decent midfield cover, could be a revelation and save the Daves a pound or two.
  • I agree re Makasi he has been at the U23 for a while he needs to show something being one of he older reserve players

Given that we dont have a game for a week i wouldnt be surprised to see minimal rotation
This discussion has been closed.