Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IF YOU CAN'T SIGN IN, CLEAR COOKIES FROM YOUR BROWSER CACHE

If you aren't sure how to do that, see this thread: whu606.com/discussion/7162/why-am-i-having-trouble-signing-in

If you still can't log in, email whu***@gmail.com (where *** is replaced by numbers I am sure you can work out.) giving the name of the browser and whether you are on PC or mobile device.
Categories +
Table +
PhysioRoom +

Taming of the Shrews 07 Jan (FA cup Match Thread) and replay 16 January

167891012»

Comments

• It was defo Jonathan Pearce. Really distinctive voice. The Gerry Gow comment made me wonder whether he was a reporter or footballer back then in Bristol. After a quick google search apparently he had aspirations to be a footballer but messed his leg up
  • On the plus side we're not Arsenal.........
    KuchinghammerOutcastLondoner
  • Vorse,

Agree Moyes certainly made no excuses for our poor performance and rightly so, we are lucky to have the chance of a replay ;ok
  • Anyone know when the replay is likely to be
  • edited January 8
    Not sure how Moyes could have been more pro-active, given the players he had available.

It's not like he kept a wealth of attacking options on the bench, is it?

Most people seemed happy with the team before KO; they just didn't get going.

Dodger58Hammerex
  • It was clear that starting line-up wasn’t offering anything though. He could’ve started making changes by 60 mins. He could’ve taken Kouyate or Ayew off. Quina was only brought on because of Reid’s injury.

Even if he didn’t want to sacrifice defensive stability, there were players doing nothing who could’ve been replaced with some of the young, attacking players on the bench. I think there was plenty Moyes could’ve done - he only allowed one sub any kind of time to have a go.
    Dodger58welovethehammersalderzchicagohammer
  • Can't see life past this season for Hernandez he just won't suit our football

What a shocking waste that would be if it turns out that way. ;weep
    KuchinghammerSlaven_Cups_His_Beard
  • I was surprised by the strength of the line-up but I did look at it and think ‘a keeper, 4 CB’s, 3 non-attacking CM’s and a LWB’ and thought ‘how would we score?’. Ayew and Hernandez are poachers, so we were basically reliant on Masuaku as the sole provider.
  • When is the replay? Can’t see it on the Beeb fixtures
  • Hamstew said:

Anyone know when the replay is likely to be

Tuesday 16th. 7:45pm kick off according to the FA website.

All the replays are on Tuesday apart from Wigan v Bournemouth on the Wednesday because Bournemouth play Arsenal on Sunday

All 7:45pm kick offs apart from Reading v Stevenage. Guess that will be on telly

http://www.thefa.com/competitions/thefacup/fixtures
    HamstewMrsGrey
  • Lukerz said:

I was surprised by the strength of the line-up but I did look at it and think ‘a keeper, 4 CB’s, 3 non-attacking CM’s and a LWB’ and thought ‘how would we score?’. Ayew and Hernandez are poachers, so we were basically reliant on Masuaku as the sole provider.

And Masuaku looked shattered. He looks like he was struggling to get up and down the wing like he used to which is his main weapon. Just like what happens when Antonio is shattered. In fact you could see Masuaku was tired during the Tottenham game, so 2 days later he's only going to be worse.
  • I thought Moyes picked a decent 11 but then he played 442.

I think we had the players to go 343 or 352.

Would would have given Hernandez more chance to be in the box.
  • So your telling me you don’t know where scoring is going to come from with a transfer spend of nearly 36 million between them, imo we didn’t go through because of poor attitude thinking just show up and we will win now we should pick same ish team to rectify themselves
  • Not sure how Moyes could have been more pro-active, given the players he had available.

It's not like he kept a wealth of attacking options on the bench, is it?

Most people seemed happy with the team before KO; they just didn't get going.

Team (players) was good enough to beat a league one team. Tactics wasn't.
    Cullen right midfield ;doh
    Long ball to Hernandez and Ayew ;doh
    Obiang and Kouyate in the centre together again ;doh

• I think you'll find that there was another team on the field who where confident in there formation and who out muscled our diminutive strikers, including Martinez when he came on. We played into their hand lumping it up field to two of the biggest centre backs I've ever seen.

Anyway. Nice ground, easy to get to but the low sun was in our eyes for 90 minutes. Mind that's not all bad as we couldn't see all that was going on. ;biggrin
    Cuz1Dodger58chicagohammer
  • Do we know Moyes told them to hoof ? I think he picked a decent team(considering injuries) who played very poorly with only a few individuals on their game, most chose the easy option of putting their foot through it mainly because our midfield were unable to retain the ball and Shewsbury worked a lot harder closing down than we did. I more disappointed with certain players rather than the tactics. I think Moyes putting Cullen in central midfield was a good move considering his age and the more senior players on the pitch shows Moyes was more than willing to give a young players a chance
    ClaretandBlueforLife
  • Cullen only played in the centre with 15 mins to go. Should have been there from the start as the only one who can complete a pass.
    We were playing a team 2 divisions below us. I just can't believe how bad we were.
    Vorselaarhammer
  • You really couldn't believe we could be that bad after seeing some of our performances this season. ;lol not in the least shocked myself.
  • Yeold, it's one thing to made to look average by PL teams, but to be outplayed by a League 1 side is not.

Injuries and fatigue no doubt played a part, but we should still have performed much better, IMO
  • Cullen only played in the centre with 15 mins to go. Should have been there from the start as the only one who can complete a pass.
    We were playing a team 2 divisions below us. I just can't believe how bad we were.

Twist,

I agree we were poor, but after witnessing our performance in the first half against WBA on Tuesday we were pretty good in comparison. To put yesterday’s performance simply Moyes picked a decent enough side allowing for injuries, Shrewsbury worked harder than we did with i’d say Cullen our best performing player on the field yesterday, not to mention a couple of fine saves from Joe Hart.
  • Poor performance indeed but wish I couldn’t say I’ve seen worse the only saving grace for me is they have a replay and a chance to show they are fit to wear a West Ham shirt
  • 4th round draw coming up who will we get ;wahoo
  • edited January 8
    away to Bournemouth or wigan
  • So we might be playing Bournemouth away twice in 8 days.
  • Why? We've already played them away in the league.
    McHammerbaracks_a_hammer
  • Whoops, can't even interpret my calendar ;yercoat
    Dodger58
  • Very few positives to come out of that, rice and Cullen for sure (I don’t think Burke will be making it - hope I’m wrong) and the fact we’re still in the draw for the 4th round

Every game now I’m left shaking my head at Kouyate, I have no idea what has happened to this guy, I always thought he was one of our best signings since the SA era. Him tracking back at one point was truly awful

That being said he probably made a tackle at the end which kept us in the cup
This discussion has been closed.