Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IF YOU CAN'T SIGN IN, CLEAR COOKIES FROM YOUR BROWSER CACHE

If you aren't sure how to do that, see this thread: whu606.com/discussion/7162/why-am-i-having-trouble-signing-in

If you still can't log in, email whu***@gmail.com (where *** is replaced by numbers I am sure you can work out.) giving the name of the browser and whether you are on PC or mobile device.
Categories +
Table +
PhysioRoom +

Taming of the Shrews 07 Jan (FA cup Match Thread) and replay 16 January

OK guys my last cup thread was the spuds, lets unleash the youngsters

Comments

• I'd expect some serious rotation, so it's almost impossible to pick a side.

I'd like a bit of a mix between youth and experience, as there is no reason not to target the cup this year, imo.
  • The most important game of the season. Full strength please.
    Hammerwombat
  • edited January 4
    alderz, serious rotation ;ok

We can target the cup, but at this point, against Shrewsbury, we have to ask our B team players to step up, imo. Unfortunately, with injuries, we don't really have a B team as distinct from our A team.

(Totally disagree its our most important game of the season, horsham.)

Ideally I'd want to rest Zabaleta, Reid and Masuaku. If we need Arthur, maybe play him as LB (less running).

Hart in goal.

Rice, and ?Burke.. possibly Ginge (if fit) at the back.

Carroll, Chicarito and Ayew to start.

Tricky with the rest - lots of tied legs and lots of injuries. Kids to fill in the gaps, with maybe Antonio and some of the less tired senior players (Noble, etc) on the bench.

• Hart
    Reid Ogbonna Rice
    Johnson Makasi Quina Masuaku
    Haksabanovic Ayew
    Hernandez

Although ideally we'd rest Reid, Ogbonna and Masuaku, but I don't know what we've got left in the squad. I did hear that we wanted Burke back for this one ;hmm
  • Difficult to go anything but full strength given the injuries and squad depth.

Would assume Hart, Rice and Quina may get minutes. Zab will need a rest yet there is nobody to come in for him.

So realistically:

Hart
    Rice - Reid - Ogbonna - Masuaku
    Quina - Noble - Obiang - Haksabanovic
    Ayew
    Chicharito

Maybe minutes off the bench for Martinez too, Adrian, Cresswell, Zabaleta, Kouyate, Lanzini and Carroll to make up the rest.

Really not much else we can put out. Don’t reckon Moyes will go full strength.
  • I think we’ll go 4 at the back with Oxford as RB. Zabaleta definitely needs to rest.
  • edited January 4
    Oxford is injured though. We had a young RB, Johnson I think, on the bench earlier in the season. Maybe he'll get a run.
  • Is alex Pike not the u23 RB?

Impossible to predict the team with injuries etc and rotation but i agree with the general consensus that the team should be rotated to keep everyone fresh
  • The most important game of the season. Full strength please.

I don’t think it is. It’s the third round of the FA Cup against Shrewsbury, and we’re 2 points about the relegation zone.

Rest most of the first team, IMO.
    OldCastleSwiftalderzMrsGreygrey_til_I_dye
  • edited January 4

Oxford is injured though. We had a young RB, Johnson I think, on the bench earlier in the season. Maybe he'll get a run.

From when I've seen the U23's play at matches, Ben Johnson isn't ready for the first team. In fact he's still getting used to the u23's.

Anyway I'd like to see us rest our players and give the kids a go:

---------------- Hart --------------
    Oxford - Pask - Ogbonna - Rice
    ------------- Obiang ---------
    Hak'vic - Samuelson - Quina
    ------------- Martinez -----------

Subs: Adrian, Collins, Johnson, Bryram, Makasi, Ayew, Hernandez
  • Hart,
    Pike, Collins, Rice, Cresswell
    Samelsen, Noble, Kouyate, Haksabanovic
    Ayew
    Martinez
  • Can we trust Hart?
    Will be OK on his right hand side, but I don't trust his left hand side at all!
  • I have that problem of whether to buy a left side twix or a right side one. I cant tell the difference at all so I keep trying both ;wink ;wahoo ;scary
    imagelost
  • I don’t think it is. It’s the third round of the FA Cup against Shrewsbury, and we’re 2 points about the relegation zone.

Who cares? Cups are the only tournaments we are ever likely to win in any of our lifetimes. It's about the glory, not finishing 15th. Playing a weakened team devalues our history and should be avoided.

Hammerwombat
  • I see this as an exciting opportunity to give our youth a go. It is also about keeping our first team players injury-free as well as in optimum condition for our game against Huddersfield after. By optimum condition, I don't just mean physically but also mentally. Even Adrian deserves a rest even if he's not physically tired from playing in goal, he could be mentally tired.
    MrsGreyalderzMarkNobleLocalHero
  • Why would we go 4 at the back, for the thousandth time it doesn`t work for us. We have found a system that works, and one in which we look a billion times more comfortable in, and still people want to try 4 at the back. 3-5-2, 3-4-1-2 or if the occasion demands 3-4-3. This is how we play, this is how we should play, buy the players or use the players we have to FIT THIS SYSTEM. I would love to see three or four youngsters start, to include (if fit) Byram, Oxford, Haksabanovic and possibly Quina. Please, for the love of God, not 4 at the back. Thankyou. ;scarf
    OldCastleSwift
  • And Martinez also deserves a game, getting quite excited about this. ;champagne
  • edited January 5
    Madcap ;ok

Out transfer policy, for this window and the next, should be based on three at the back. I think we're ok at CB (for this window at least) but we desperately need a RB/RWB and a CM.

If we're going to use Arnie further forward, then we need a RM to cover for Antonio, who seems to forever be only a couple of games away from a spell on the sidelines.
    alderz
  • I don’t think it is. It’s the third round of the FA Cup against Shrewsbury, and we’re 2 points about the relegation zone.

Who cares? Cups are the only tournaments we are ever likely to win in any of our lifetimes. It's about the glory, not finishing 15th. Playing a weakened team devalues our history and should be avoided.

We don't win the cup if we beat Shrewsbury, though. We're into the fourth round and still extremely unlikely to win it.

I would agree if it were a winnable quarter or semi final, but it isn't. Still plenty of time to get knocked out after beating Shrewsbury, so I don't think it's worth risking injuries to first-team players which could jeopardise our relegation battle.
    OldCastleSwiftMrsGreyalderz
  • OCS, I`m still hoping Byram will be our right sided Masuaku, I think he has the attributes to be a good (possibly great) wing back, just seems to have been really unlucky with injuries. With Rice looking so good in a back three, I would have Cresswell and Masuaku as our left sided wing backs and, for now, Zab and Byram as our right. I see Arnie and Antonio as out and out forwards, either as part of a two or three. It`s in centre midfield I think we really struggle. With Obiang and Kouyate off form, although perhaps Obiang has/will re-discover his mojo, it leaves only Noble as our only decent centre mid, and that is open to debate. Lanzini, IMO, plays better centrally, but I like to see him further up the pitch. If we buy only one player in January it needs to be a top notch midfielder. ;ok
  • We don't win the cup if we beat Shrewsbury, though. We're into the fourth round and still extremely unlikely to win it.

I would agree if it were a winnable quarter or semi final, but it isn't. Still plenty of time to get knocked out after beating Shrewsbury, so I don't think it's worth risking injuries to first-team players which could jeopardise our relegation battle.

Well who am I to argue with such a positive attitude. When did our fans start showing such apathy towards the FA Cup?

• Hart
    Pike Reid Ogbonna Rice Masuaka
    Quina Noble Obiang
    Hernandez Martinez

Don't particularly think any of the back five barring zabaleta need changing, masuaka still had plenty to give on the left and should be able to get through this, think we'll need his creativity

Also it looks like Collins, Cresswell, Byram and Fonte wont be fit for this and not sure if Burke will be back form loan

Think the midfield needs refreshing but if i'm honest there is a real lack of depth at CM so droop kouyate for Quina (who can add a bit more guile to the midfield)

Martinez and Hernandez up front as they both could make a good pair....plus I wouldn't be surprised if Moyes wants rid of Ayew as well as sakho (if some reports are to be believed)

I agree we should buy around a 3 at the back formation, we are just better this way

• I think Reid needs a rest.
  • Reid got a rest when he didn't play against Bournemouth, I think he'll be fine
    ClaretandBlueforLife
  • We don't win the cup if we beat Shrewsbury, though. We're into the fourth round and still extremely unlikely to win it.

Well who am I to argue with such a positive attitude. When did our fans start showing such apathy towards the FA Cup?

We aren’t a very good side right now, Horsham, with limited resources. A couple of key injuries and we are in major trouble.

Beating Shrewsbury hardly makes it likely we’re going to win the cup. However, two or three injuries to any of, say, Arnie, Lanzini, Noble, Obiang, Ogbonna, Zabaleta, and we struggle badly in the league from then on.
    SuzanneClaretOldCastleSwiftMrsGrey
  • Madcap ;ok Absolutely agree about Byram being our long-term RWB. However, the fella is always injured (or so it feels). I don't know when he's due back, but even if he's back this month, I don't have a great deal of faith that he'll still be fit by February.

So for me, and I agree, we need to target a CM as a priority, but given our dearth of options at RB/RWB, I think this needs to be given a lot of focus too.
    SuzanneClaret
  • edited January 5
    Hart

Oxford, Burke, Rice in a back 3. Make it so !

Samuelson, Haksanabonvic, Cullen, Quina, +1

Martinez, Holland (is he still with us)

• Joe Hart be like ;doh
  • well Shrewsbury are second in League One. Some of our U21s are touted as being top level league One Players and Championship players. I guess we will see.
    MrsGrey
  • Holland is broken.

As is Oxford, I think.

And Burke and Cullen still at Bolton.

Not sure what's going on with Samuelsen. Haven't heard his name mentioned for months ;hmm
This discussion has been closed.