Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IF YOU CAN'T SIGN IN, CLEAR COOKIES FROM YOUR BROWSER CACHE

If you aren't sure how to do that, see this thread: whu606.com/discussion/7162/why-am-i-having-trouble-signing-in

If you still can't log in, email whu***@gmail.com (where *** is replaced by numbers I am sure you can work out.) giving the name of the browser and whether you are on PC or mobile device.
Categories +
Table +
PhysioRoom +

Spurs A - 4.1.18 - 8pm - Match Thread

No rest for the wicked

Onwards and upwards

Easy three points this one. The only question is do we give them a two goal head start this time?
whupathmanimagelostSuzanneClaretTwistandShout

Comments

• I'm going to this one. It's part of my Christmas presents from my son who's a spud. I'll be stuck in among them so I will have to learn to keep my mouth shut.
    ClaretandBlueforLife
  • Be interested to see how many knocks we have picked up, assume cresswell is at best a doubt and that its too soon for starts for Collins & Antonio

Hard to drop Carroll but i dont se ehim making it through a 2nd game after playing 95 mins 48 hours earlier

I personally would play Oxford but i feel hes off to germany...dunno why as there are places for him

My team:

Adrian
    Reid Ogbonna Rice
    Oxford Obiang Noble Masuaka
    Lanzini Hernandez Arnie

• edited January 2
    Always a corker of a game this one. Expect plenty of goals.
  • Assuming some may be injured/exhausted

........................Adrian......................
    ............Kouyate...Reid...Ogbonna.....
    Oxford.........Rice....Noble.........Masuaku
    .........................Lanzini.....................
    ................Hernandez....Arnie.............

Kouyate is rubbish in midfield lately, played well at the back before, think he can do it again. Would love to start Carroll, but I don`t think two games in two days will do him much good, a good option off the bench if needed. Hoping Arnie and Lanzini can dig deep and play, both vital for us at the minute, if not who else?? Haksabanovich, Ayew, Quina?? Reid has been poor lately, backs off too much, hoping he can get his mojo/confidence back, don`t have many options at the minute with Fonte, Collins and Cresswell out, and Zab must be shattered. ;scarf
  • Spurs will eat Kouyate alive.

His lack of the basic skills you require to work in midfield will be exploited by Spurs.

Playing him will cost us goals.
  • Oxford at wingback doesn’t make sense to me. He’s not played there before, he’s not played with this team before, and he’d likely get torn apart by Danny Rose
  • Kouyate just doesn't seem to be able to control a ball in a congested space. You need to do that as a central midfielder.
    alderz
  • sweepy23 said:

Kouyate just doesn't seem to be able to control a ball in a congested space. You need to do that as a central midfielder.

Fixed...
    sweepy23chicagohammer
  • Alderz, Oxford played right back for BMG and apparently played well, he is young, fit and reasonably quick, I`m not sure what other options we have. Kouyate performed well at the back previously, I certainly wouldn`t have him or Obiang any where near our midfield, Noble and Rice are both composed on the ball and would/should make a much better pairing than Kouyate and Obiang who have both been dreadful. Kouyate is a centre back, and he seems a pretty decent one. I think Zab would get run ragged against Spurs, who else could we play as right wing back??
  • Personally, I would still go with Zabaleta.

Oxford played 4 times for BMG. Once as a CB (for 1 minute), twice at DM, and once at RB. He played RB against Freiburg in a game that BMG lost.

Looking at the Squawka analysis of both his performance and the Freiburg performance, it seems that he played well against a side that went long ball and physical. He was good in the air, tidy in possession, but didn't offer much going forward.

I think it would be an extremely different challenge against Spurs than it would Freiburg, both in style and quality of opposition. That's not to say he's not up to it, because maybe he is, but it just feels like a big risk to me.
  • Kouyate performed well at the back previously
    Kouyate is a centre back, and he seems a pretty decent one
    I can not agree with this. He was poor and at fault for at least one of the goals when he played at the back. He does not think like a defender and should be now where near a defensive birth.

I'm not one for square pegs in round holes.

chicagohammer
  • I've read that Oxford has injured his ankle in training. This was on sport.co.uk via Twitter so possibly not the best source.

I would go:

Adrian
    Reid Ogbonna Rice
    Zaba Noble Obiang Masuaku
    Arnie Lanzini
    Hernandez

I know Zaba is slow and quite possibly running on empty, but we have so little cover in this position he has to play. This really needs to be a priority position in the transfer window.
    SuzanneClaretTwistandShout
  • Cresswell is out for sure?
  • Not confirmed, but I'm working on that assumption
  • Ok ;ok

I'd agree with your line up in that case.

I bet your're well pleased ;lol
    MrsGrey
  • Alderz, thanks for the reply, a gamble I know, just couldn`t think of any other options. I just think zab will get the runaround. Suz, I think Kouyate is a better centre back than midfielder, which isn`t saying much I know. Ideally neither Kouyate or Obiang on current form would get a look in, but we are short on numbers. I don`t think either deserve to start in midfield either ways. Could really do with Byram back as well. Think he would make a good wing back.
  • edited January 3
    Reece Oxford played RB once for Borussia MB in a 4-4-2, no crosses, mostly stayed deep, not much to recommend playing him as a WB

They lost 1-0 to Freiberg who were 16th, BMB were 4th.
    welovethehammers
  • Madcap ;ok

ASLEF

He did manage two successful take ons, 80% passing accuracy (mostly inside to the central midfielders), won 7/8 headers, 1/3 tackles, and (I'm going from memory here as I can't open the page right now) 11 defensive actions (interceptions, blocks, clearances).

As I mentioned earlier, I personally don't think he's got the skills to play wing back. However, I suppose there is an argument that we are likely to be playing an almost flat back 5 against Spurs, and he certainly seems capable of playing as a RB.
  • alderz said:

Oxford at wingback doesn’t make sense to me. He’s not played there before, he’s not played with this team before, and he’d likely get torn apart by Danny Rose

Not tomorrow he wouldn’t. It is rumoured Rose is out injured for at least tomorrow and Spurs’ cup game
    alderz
  • Alderz, thanks for the reply, a gamble I know, just couldn`t think of any other options. I just think zab will get the runaround. Suz, I think Kouyate is a better centre back than midfielder, which isn`t saying much I know. Ideally neither Kouyate or Obiang on current form would get a look in, but we are short on numbers. I don`t think either deserve to start in midfield either ways. Could really do with Byram back as well. Think he would make a good wing back.

Just a bit of advice... I'd keep away from Runaround Suz

# ;run around
    PrestonHammerSuzanneClaretHammerwombat
  • A bit boring but maybe Noble could play on the right

Adrian
    Kouyate Reid Ogbonna
    Noble Rice Obiang Masuaku
    Lanzini
    Arnautovic Hernandes
  • Oxford according to sky sports preview has sprained his ankle in training as suggested earlier
  • alderz said:

Oxford at wingback doesn’t make sense to me. He’s not played there before, he’s not played with this team before, and he’d likely get torn apart by Danny Rose

Not tomorrow he wouldn’t. It is rumoured Rose is out injured for at least tomorrow and Spurs’ cup game
    Is that not how you spell Ben Davies?
    SuzanneClaret
  • I'd probably go for:-

-----------------ADRIAN---------------------
    ----------RICE---REID---OGBONNA------------
    --ZABA-------KOUYATE---NOBLE---MASUAKU---
    -----------LANZINI-------AYEW---------------
    ------------------ARNIE----------------------

• Going into this game, our last 5 form is equal best with Palace for teams outside the top 6.

coyi ;scarf
    Slaven_Cups_His_Beard
  • Rice again showed his versatility on Tuesday, playing a 14 minute cameo at left-back after Aaron Cresswell picked up an injury and the Academy product was thrilled to play his part.

“I’ll play wherever the manager wants me to play,” he added.....as a kid I never thought I would have made about 15 appearances for West Ham [at this age]. Right back, left back, centre back, midfield, I’m not bothered. I just want to play football.”

;wahoo

Read more at http://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2018/january/03-january/rice-everyones-buzzing-get-win#w4LKcmXghZeGrbCh.99

SuzanneClaretSlaven_Cups_His_Beard
  • 6-0. Hernandez and Arnautovic.
    MrsGrey
  • Outcast, sounds like you haven't quite come down from your 17 hour flight from Malaysia. ;wink
  • 6-0. Hernandez and Arnautovic.

Whose going to score the other four mate might have a bet
This discussion has been closed.