The Arsenal (A) Carabao Cup Match Thread 19.12.17 19:45

123457»

Comments

• Grey, for me its not all about team selection. I wasn't too upset with the starting xi (except for Cresswell at right back). It was the attitude and the defensive approach. We had nothing to lose by going for it, instead we went out on a whimper. That's the disappointing thing for me ;ok
  • Was there any team in the QF's that put out a full strength team?

The Bristol City manager described the game as their least important game this month.

Twist, you keep going on as though Moyes didn't want to win, but I don't think that is true.

He did what every manager does in this comp; gave some key players a rest, and some fringe players a game. He hoped that would be enough, and it wasn't.

Slizzy, saying Giroud doesn't regularly start for Arsenal, so is not first team, is a bit disingenuous. He starts regularly for France.

Teams outside the top 6 could only dream of fielding Walcott Welbeck and Giroud as a front 3.

Did the Bristol manager say that ? I thought it was their team Captain that said that.
  • Grey, for me its not all about team selection. I wasn't too upset with the starting xi (except for Cresswell at right back). It was the attitude and the defensive approach. We had nothing to lose by going for it, instead we went out on a whimper. That's the disappointing thing for me ;ok

We made 3 attacking subs and earlier than DM normally makes them so I view that as at least trying to get something from the game.
  • Arnie had about 7 minutes.
  • Yeold

Yeah, you're right. I read the BBC article, http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42404704, which started off about Johnson and what he said. I hadn't noticed they had changed 'speakers'.
  • Bristol made 1 change for the game from their normal team and that was th goalie
  • Guess the Bristol lads don’t get to play Man Utd that often though
  • thorn

Think I heard that they have so many injuries, they didn't have a lot left to choose from.
  • Were they down to the bare bones, I wondered where arry got up to nowadays

• Slizzy, saying Giroud doesn't regularly start for Arsenal, so is not first team, is a bit disingenuous. He starts regularly for France.

Teams outside the top 6 could only dream of fielding Walcott Welbeck and Giroud as a front 3.

Grey what France do is of little consequence how AFC normally line up this season and the facts are this....

Ground has started 1 PL game
    Walcott has started 0 PL games
    Welbeck has started 6 PL games

There is a reason for this, other players are normally getting in ahead of them, week after week.

When you look at AFC’s normal PL Side it was essentially their reserves, which was my point and that you’ll never have a better chance to beat them right now.
  • Slizzy

And my point was that 'reserves' doesn't really reflect the quality of many of the players on show for Arsenal in the game.

As to what France do being of little consequence, for me, it goes to show the quality of Giroud (who has got on in 15 PL games and made 24 competitive appearances.)

Unless you think France are a poor team with little choice of forwards...
  • Grey I think you're missing the point.....

Nobody is questioning they're all good players, internationals at that.

But it wasn't their first team lining up and the stats prove that.

There are reasons why those three have only started 7 games between them in the PL out of a possible 57......They're not currently considered 1st eleven players.

Back to my point, it was their reserves/2nd string/whatever you want to call it.

• Slizzy

It's just semantics.

Were we playing against a full side of regular PL starters?

No.

Were we playing against a number of players who would waltz straight in to our first XI?

Yes, imo.

So, were we playing against the best side Arsenal could put out?

No.

Were we playing against a side that still had lots more quality than we could play as our best starting XI?

Yes, imo.
  • edited December 2017
    Strange rest our players
    Way this feels down
    Go down with nothing
    Let’s hope it orks out
  • Prioritising the league game went well...
  • Prioritising the league game went well...

And an apology to you twist humble pie you was right there good call
  • Twist, but in my defence we are West Ham
  • Grey if you think that AFC side was better than ours on paper then we will never agree.

Originally you dismissed the fact this was their reserves, well it was.

Their starting eleven had made 29 PL starting appearances between them, ours had made well over 100
  • Cuz1 said:

Prioritising the league game went well...

I wish i was wrong, Cuz ;ok
  • Cuz1 said:

Prioritising the league game went well...

I wish i was wrong, Cuz ;ok
    For once I do mate
This discussion has been closed.