Bring on the Gooners (H) Match Thread - 13.12.17 20:00

Comments

• Wenger confirms Mustafi will miss this match as well, so looks like Mertesacker keeps his place in defence. ;hmm

Also, no Aaron Ramsey ... looks like Wilshere may start.

Shall we run a sweepstake on the time of his yellow card? ;biggrin
  • Given yesterday’s results (other than Palace) and tonight’s fixtures, something from tonight’s game would be massive. But our record against Arsenal is horrendous.
  • Luke, records are there to be broken ;scarf
  • Does anyone know a good pub in Colchester to watch the game?
  • Can`t believe how much I`m looking forward to this game, I know it`s the hope that kills us, but I honestly am at the point where I think we may get another result. I would be over the moon with a draw, but I have a sneaky feeling for a 2--1 win. ;scarf
  • Same again please Hammers.

We've got to get at them from the first whistle. Another team who doesn't like it up them. Watching their game with Southampton and their defence was all over the place. Stick with pace up front. If Antonio is knackered still, then play Hernandez or Ayew, not Carroll.
  • Twist ;ok

Go with pace, run them ragged, and then if we need him throw Carroll on with 20 minutes left and get players in and around him.
  • I have several Gooners at work, but the senior guy (season ticket holder and regular attendee) is worried for them as it is away from home, and thinks we will get at least a point, if not all three. Unfortunately, he is out tomorrow, so if we do get all three points, I can’t thank him for his wisdom ;whistle
  • ;scarf
    ;bubbles coyi
    ;bubbles ;scarf
  • More nervous because many people are expecting something now whereas we could still be taken apart

The effort in the Chelsea and City games have been just amazing....but it can be hard to do that 3 times on the bounce and Arsenal will want a result given their own poor form

I'd take a point if I am being honest
  • This game worries me.

It’s one of those ‘potential 0-5’s’.

Hope for a point if we can.
  • Twitter rumours are it’s the same XI (unsurprisingly).

• I'd take a point if I am being honest

I'd snatch your hand off for a point!
  • Bonus game for me.

Stoke is the big one. Particularly with Palace winning last night. Definitely need the three points there.

I'd take a point from tonight, but I don't think Arsenal will make the same mistake as Chelsea.

1-3
  • OCS ;ok

Next four are the big ones.

Given the fixtures tonight, a defeat for us should see us stay the same distance from those above us.

But imagine if we got a win. We could be 15th.
  • It’s too early to worry about everybody else’s results. Teams around us will be in and out of form for the next few months. Just focus on our own job and don’t obsess over the position and points of other teams in December, IMO.
  • COYI ;scarf COYI ;scarf COYI

A sneaky 2-0 for me ;pray
  • This and the previous 2 were always 'bonus' games, so to have picked up 3 points is great. Any more is double bubble.

Arsenal could easily come and turn it on (they do seem to like playing against us), and as others have suggested, it may be hard to get the same intensity out of the players. Have a feeling they'll start Giroud, and he tends to score against us.

I'd happily take a point, but if not that, then at least I hope we continue to give a good account of ourselves.

Then we can go to Stoke on Saturday, smash them, and be the catalyst for Sparky getting the boot.
  • Does anyone know a good pub in Colchester to watch the game?

molloys is ok if you like a chain type sports bar. Olde Marquis will have it on, or the Bricklayers Arms if you like Adnams beer.
    ;beer
  • Dreaming of two wins this week....

;pray
  • 2-1 to us I got 22-1 COYI
  • Getting ready for this one .............. ;redwine

But just incase............. ;sofa
  • Wombat, what's not to like about Adnams - nectar. It's given me a thirst just thinking about it. ;biggrin
    I'll just have to crack open a bottle of Shepherd Neame's Christmas Ale instead. ;beer
  • Collins on the bench good to see ;clap
  • Same team I think
  • Yes, same team. Good options on the bench again if we are behind. Heart say win, brain says draw if we are lucky.
    Giroud is starting - I imagine that is to try and out-muscle and out-jump Cresswell and/or Ogbonna.
  • Yes, same team. Good options on the bench again if we are behind. Heart say win, brain says draw if we are lucky.
    Giroud is starting - I imagine that is to try and out-muscle and out-jump Cresswell and/or Ogbonna.

Long ball merchants them gooners. Why cant they just play the beautiful game like us
  • I never realised what a lump Giroud was until I just checked on Wiki.
    Could we convert AC to a centre back - as long as he didn't have to tackle that is. ;biggrin
This discussion has been closed.