Board/Fan Relationship

Comments

• MrsGrey said:

Izzy, but on his twitter he also says the tickets+ points were reinstated.

Which means they were taken away at some point SD&CC called that out and said it never happened and that these protestors or flag owners were lying.

He’s been made to look a bit of a plum now as the truth came out, he believed the Sullys
  • I still don't see what justification he can have for demonstrating outside someones house. IMHO its just not on.

If I owned West Ham and they did that to me, you could bet your last dollar I'd ban them from the ground.

But I'm a vindictive menopausal hot mess so I might just have dealt with him myself, face to face...

Don’t disagree that it wasn’t the correct thing to do, some did it over SA

But when you knee jerk like that then have to backtrack because you now may of made the situation worse, well......
  • MrsGrey said:

If its true tickets were lost (rather than just an attempt at a cover up), and not reported, then of course the tickets should be cancelled. Because somone else is using them fraudulently (or maybe not so fraudulently, depending on how true the 'lost' story is.)

There's clearly more to this than meets the eye.

How many people are telling the whole truth and nothing but the truth?

Mrs G “tickets lost”?

Sorry I wasn’t clear, they’d had their ST cancelled/revoked and banned from home or away for 3 years and lost all their away points.....

They didn’t drop them in the street
  • The shock horror reaction to the flag episode is a bit ott imo.
    Outside the gates is public land and the house is about a quarter of a mile away down a long drive. It was a photo opportunity nothing more.
  • They deserve everything they get IMO
  • edited November 2017

Well, sorry Madcap, but

a) I'm a traditional die hard supporter (if 47/56 years counts for that)

b) I'm working class

and you don't speak for my perspective.

By all means, be as disappointed in them as you want, but don't assume that others have to share your viewpoint, or that you can speak for a class/group.

Since you haven't defined what you mean by 'simply being a football club',
    I have no real idea what you think that means, outside the standard definition.

Thankfully the majority don't share your view on the owners and are now starting to act.
    (Before you ask... no i haven't polled every supporter on the planet - I'm going on the basis of all the chants, banners and other west ham forums)
  • (Contains swearing)

• We could have Pep or Pochettino in charge and it wouldn't make a difference. Its the people up top who have ruined us.
  • edited November 2017
    Funny you mentioned pep, there was some guy on TalkSPORT yesterday, sounded like “angry Terry” the cab driver but don’t think it was. He said that Moyes has to go after one game ;lol and said we need someone from the area, they said you wouldn’t have Pep, he said No, they mentioned Ray Winstone and he said yeah he could have an assistant role.

Surely a windup but very funny

• What I would like to see them deliver is regular mid-table mediocrity, (which, from where they got us would be the next level, imo) before I start worrying about further levels.

I think that would be a fair expectation, if not for the stadium move. Giving up a longstanding home, especially for one with so many flaws, is probably not a trade-off most would say was acceptable for a next level defined as mid-table mediocrity. A lot more was implied with the stadium move.
  • edited November 2017
    The stadium move is the elephant in the room IMO.
    I think that most fans would accept us still being a yo yo club, with mid table aspirations, but not to give up the Boleyn to stand still.

It was our home.

You give that up for something better, both on and off the pitch, and it hasn't happened, and too much has now been revealed about the Board's modus operandii to put it back in the box. And yes , our current form is affecting everybody's mind set, but the fact remains that promises were made about the next level in return for the sale of the Boleyn, that are clearly not going to be fulfilled. That gives fans the hump.
    The current Board do not have the money, or will not invest further to let us kick on, relying on pay day loans to finance transfer activity, and mortgaging our assets to do so for this year.
    They are making 7% interest on a debt that has merely been transferred to them, and not got rid of.
    They will sell at the earliest feasible opportunity IMO - and please lets not hear about them being the saviours of our club - they spotted a unique business opportunity that came off.
    We could easily have gone into administration after Eggy and still survived. Other clubs have - with nowhere near our level of support.
  • edited November 2017
    Agree with nearly every word of that, one thing though there were NO promises, always amazes me how so many fans think they were promised this next level and succcess, they weren’t but I get what you’re saying

With regards the debt and interest, not only did they transfer it they helped cause some of it with relegation!
  • Things that have been said by the owners:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/jan/19/sullivan-gold-west-ham-takeover

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2916915/West-Ham-win-Premier-League-five-years-say-David-Sullivan-David-Gold.html

This one didn’t help much

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/sporting-president-labels-west-ham-owners-the-dildo-brothers-as-war-of-words-over-william-carvalho-a3628721.html

I wouldn’t say it’s the best arena for Football

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/talksport.com/football/one-greatest-arenas-world-football-west-hams-karren-brady-talks-olympic-stadium?amp

How many managers have we had at West Ham under their ownership?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/jan/19/sullivan-gold-west-ham-takeover

There are many more articles with quotes that don’t help the owners cause.

Personally I think they have done things with good intentions however I can understand why people hold them to their word.

I do think they are chancers and they’ve run all their businesses with promises that aren’t ever scrutinised. West Ham are just too public to get away with it. They just don’t know any better.

Their history doesn’t help

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2006/apr/02/sport.comment

One thing I definitely don’t agree with is the interest they charge the club.
  • The interest on the loans is for me the worst thing they’ve ever done. I’d rather they had paid themselves a wage and performance related stuff.

How you can have the bare faced front to charge interest on loans needed because of your own mistakes is beyond me.

All the while the value of your investment has gone through the roof
  • I do agree with Billybondsbeard on the idea that I think many fans accepted the idea of giving up the Boleyn on account of it being a necessary to attempt to move to the next level and will feel terribly let down if we simply perform as we did before.

I do think however two seasons is not long enough to be able to say we wont get there as I actually feel we will, but perhaps not with the current board, but the new stadium will I feel eventually make us more attractive to an investor of substance, but it doesn't in itself ensure immediate success, how could it?

The issue about the board is more complex as when we consider the ground move there is a temptation to envisage a more sinister motive than I think is likely, in that they had no care about West Ham and it was purely business. I actually feel this is not correct and that they have tried their best within their ability and means but I don't think they are actually great at their job, I think the size of the task in running a premiership club is beyond them as I think they are essentially barrow boys made good. I think were they sackable they would have been fired a little while ago, were their performance measured as Slav's was or a players would be. I write this as we have had poor transfer windows, last year lots of targets which never got done and ending up with sub standard players at exactly the time we needed take a chance, although this is likely a mixture of responsibility of Sully and Slav, this year the whole Carvalho saga and its aftermath was again low rent barrow boy stuff in my view. They have had a managerial appointment hardly anyone believed in with Grant that got us relegated and now another chance taken with Moyes, add to this the many regrettable PR episodes of Sully and sometimes Brady such as her latest column regarding Slav and I sometimes just think you people are not professional enough to be doing this job.

To put it into perspective I am not sure many fans would envy too many of our players at the moment, maybe three or four. I don't think any premiership fans would be wishing they had newly appointed Moyes as their manager and probably just as many would want our owners as well. It's that reflection which is most sobering for me at present.

If we can survive this season, we need appoint a strong manager, select and sign good quality targets who fit together with existing players to make a team able in all areas of the pitch, I know it's easier said than done but the role of persuasion through selling our club as a destination and of course financial clout is the owners and managers job, Then go on a PR offensive which means trying to present us in a better light, so sully shuts up, Brady gives up her paper column and we give David Gold the mic if needed. Do this and we can hopefully walk on together, unfortunately get us relegated and you will likely become the new collective Mike Ashley.

• People need to stop talking about this 'next level' rubbish. It's been 1 year and 3 months since we played our first game at the London Stadium.

Not sure exactly what G&S said but West Ham fans needed lots of convincing to move. Of course they were going to hype up the move by saying we can achieve this and we can achieve that. Everyone says that when something new comes along. They weren't going to say: 'We are aiming to just about stay in the Premier League with this move, enjoy the new stadium!'
  • edited November 2017

I still don't see what justification he can have for demonstrating outside someones house. IMHO its just not on.

If I owned West Ham and they did that to me, you could bet your last dollar I'd ban them from the ground.

But I'm a vindictive menopausal hot mess so I might just have dealt with him myself, face to face...

Don’t disagree that it wasn’t the correct thing to do, some did it over SA

But when you knee jerk like that then have to backtrack because you now may of made the situation worse, well......
    I agree with that, but I have a knee jerk personality myself so I can sympathise. What I would have though, if I were them, would be a steadying right hand confidant to filter my anger issues so I didn’t look such a plum in public.
  • We’re all knee jerk at sometime or another Suze, trying to keep a lid on your WHU emotions is a full time job
  • Interesting week in the West Ham world.....

So, the club apparently called for a "meet" with such names as Andy Swallow. Micky Morgan and Bill Gardner, if you don't know these names look them up.

AS starts a Real West Ham Fans Action group on FB, where he's already at 6,000 members in just over a couple of days. He is very clear, the club contacted him not the other way round, the reason being these guys are organising something, which they're normally very good at. Ben & Tara would've been at the meeting and AS asked other fans for reasonable questions/concerns from fans, to take to this meeting as a five point plan

C&H then opened it up on their website as an ICF Meeting with the Owners, which was not what the new group wanted to see, that article was subsequently taken down pronto and has caused a fair amount of grief I believe.

The meeting has been postponed as they didn't think they had enough time to get their stuff together, however this action group are planning something for a later game possibly CFC or AFC. These blokes won't be "won over" or just fobbed off, they've been part of WHUFC for a very long time.

My guess is that the club got wind of protests, and are trying to reach out the olive branch, in order to try and quieten this down a bit. Some have even a suggested that this is an elaborate plan by the club, that if there is any protests/trouble they put it back on this lot.

I don't see this going away, now it's started.

• Great quote by Moyes - He wasn't aware of the problems before he came !

"I want everyone to be together. I am not aware of the problems before I came, I was a bit surprised when I heard (chanting against the board).
  • I was at school with Bill Gardener. He was in Mrs IH year.

I thought you might like to know that. ;biggrin
  • edited November 2017
    Thank you IH, good to know.

I have a bit of a problem being represented by members of the ICF. If they are who the club chose to reach out to I am quite disappointed.
  • Well that was a long time ago and bill Gardner wasn’t even part of it, AS was arrested 40 years ago, they were annoyed with it being portrayed as an ICF meeting so I thing they’ve moved on since those days
  • Well that’s ok then.
  • Cheers for that link ;ok
  • Andy Swallow was big in the late 80s rave scene, used to DJ at club called Echoes
  • Was he the bloke who claimed to have discovered one of the great disco queens?

She denied it of course, with the famous quip

'One Swallow doesn't make a Summer.'

Thanks. ;yercoat
  • Errr Grey, it's the one marked "EXIT" ;biggrin