Board/Fan Relationship

Comments

• edited February 2018
    OCS, that quote doesn't mean necessarily what you said it means. It is open to interpretation, and you have interpreted it one way. There are others.

Plus, Payet's always going to be looking to blame someone or something else isn't he, and trying to cast himself in a good light after his bad behaviour?

We were also told it was a family issue.
  • OMG!

Please don’t tell me the Payet temper tantrum is getting a re-brand.

• Yeah! He didn't like the new badge. ;biggrin
  • Whatever you want to call it he appears to be proved right!
  • "There were several reasons, but the first one was sporting: West Ham's objectives were no longer the same from the season before, and I felt danger for my football and my place in the France national team"
    And look how good that's panned out Dimi ;lol ;lol ;lol
  • edited February 2018
    Allegedly....
    He wanted to go back to France because his wife left him - he was caught playing away with a young lady from Chigwell.
  • Expat,

Sorry missed something there, playing for a team that's 3rd in the league and played for the national team last October!
  • Could have another re run of this as Arnie has been unleashed as an out and out striker and could be the next Luakaku, strong, skillfull (more so than Lukaku) and a finisher. I think teams will come in for him in the summer and feel that Arnie does what Arnie feels is best for Arnie, hence the treatment he got from Stoke fans. This means he may need some persuading to remain by us showing ambition in the transfer market. Other wise we may, I say may, have Payet mark 2.

He may a complete gentleman and honour his recently signed contract of last summer but if Chelsea were even thinking of Carroll etc, Arnie is the perfect signing for them.
  • I thought he'd not played for a while, oh well .................
  • Ok although I feel the owners bring a lot upon themselves because they should be quiet this next level business needs to be addressed

As a business if we are only making 25mil per season it’s just NEVER gonna happen, they have already stated they do not wish to spend there kids inheritance and I for one agree with that there families futures are far more important.
    But with that being the case the owners as fans have to accept they have taken us as far as they can or want to take us and on that basis need to sell if a suitable person comes in.
  • That will never happen!
    David Gold told me at The London Stadium on Wednesday afternoon that he doesn't know where this selling up talk is coming from.
    His shares will be passed on to his 2 daughters when he is no longer around.
  • Macca - but if that is the case, as OCS has said before, why move us to the LS?

If they never intended to spend their money longer term and only invest based on revenue and player sales, we should’ve stayed put.

It raises the suspicion that they did it for their own gain and nothing more.
  • Of course they did it for there own gain
    There business at the l s is worth a lot more than it was at up
  • Macca85 said:

As a business if we are only making 25mil per season it’s just NEVER gonna happen, they have already stated they do not wish to spend there kids inheritance and I for one agree with that there families futures are far more important.

Their families futures are far more important to them

I would argue the state of West Ham United FC is far more important to the fans, and I'm pretty sure that if the fans were told that we would only spend c.£25m per season, there would have been a hell of a lot more resistance to the move to the LS.
  • edited February 2018
    Macca

You are taking that quote out of context:
    I'm not in the business of risking my wealth, my granddaughter's inheritance," he says. "But I will go the extra mile for West Ham. I would not have come in in the first place if it hadn't been West Ham.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/david-gold-my-dad-was-in-jail-we-were-in-abject-poverty-west-ham-was-pure-escapism-2364751.html

He said something similar recently, referring to SImon Jordan doing his dough at Palace.

His point is that neither of them are going to throw mad money at the club, but we already knew that.

It is not that they will not inject some of their own money.
  • Lukerz said:

It raises the suspicion that they did it for their own gain and nothing more.

You say that as though you're surprised, that is 100% the reason they did it imo. From the word go they stated their ambition was to move to the OS; if that wasn't a possibility there is no way they would have bought us, again, imo.
  • buffy

And Gold says 100% it wasn't. I'm happy to believe him. From that same article:
    He denies that he invested in his boyhood club because he also saw the prospect of a lucrative move to the Olympic stadium. "I swear to you that it wasn't until we got into the club that we realised the potential," he says.
  • edited February 2018

buffy

He denies that he invested in his boyhood club because he also saw the prospect of a lucrative move to the Olympic stadium. "I swear to you that it wasn't until we got into the club that we realised the potential," he says.
    I'm sorry but that is errant rubbish from Gold. Is he seriously trying to make us believe that no due diligence was done on the potential of the LS move before they bought us?
    If you believe that......
  • The Icelanders were actively looking into relocating.

I'd be very surprised if it wasn't in the Dave's thinking too.
  • Upton Park was a great stadium but it was getting old in parts (East Stand was built in 60@s) . If we had stayed we would have been even further behind the likes of Spurs Arsenal and Chelsea who will all have 60,000 stadiums soon. Although the OS is far from perfect it made a lot of sense moving there for the long term benefit of the club. If we had stayed we were restricted to how much we could redevelop the ground , the East Stand would have needed replacing at some point , maintenance costs would be higher etc . I get a better view at the OS for less money I would much prefer if we owned it and hopefully we will in the future bit if we stayed at UP I believe we would have remained a yo-yo club between Championship and PL .
  • bbb

I'm happy to take Gold at his word.

I don't appreciate your suggestion that by doing so I am somehow stupid.
  • edited February 2018
    Lukerz said:

If they never intended to spend their money longer term and only invest based on revenue and player sales, we should’ve stayed put.

But then we'd have had less revenue... and thus less to spend on players.

• edited February 2018
    PLF, we could still be a yo-yo club in the LS though. Although we finished 11th last season there were a few nervy moments, and this season we're still in a relegation scrap.

And, IMO, moving to the LS hasn't brought us any closer to Spurs, Arsenal or Chelsea, and nor will it unless we invest in a bigger and better playing squad. Stadium capacity alone doesn't put us on a level with those clubs.

I never got to Upton Park as much as I would have liked, but when I did I loved every minute of it; not just the stadium, but Green Street and the general atmosphere of the place. I've only been to the LS twice and I really don't like it. 50,000 fans both times but it felt empty.

I'm going to sit in the corner and sulk now ;weep
  • MrsGrey said:

Lukerz said:

But then we'd have had less revenue... and thus less to spend on players.

Which I think people would have been far more accepting of, IMO, rather than moving to the LS and having more - but ultimately not enough - money to spend.
  • OCS I think Upton Park Green Street were steeped in history atmosphere it was what people associated West Ham with it had it's own identity. The OS has no history yet but the atmosphere can be brilliant there and a match for UP. I have been a season ticket a both stadiums and they both have their pluses and minus points . I think we might not be closer to Spurs etc but if we had stayed we would have been further away from them . I think the people running the OS have done a pretty poor job so far and G&S are probably as disappointed with some aspects of the stadium as we are. I am a glass half full person and think long term the OS can be good for us we need it to feel more like our ground and I think that will improve with the more seasons we play there and the more games you associate the ground when it get a bit of its own history.
  • edited February 2018
    Good points PLF ;ok

I tend to be glass half empty (sometimes where West Ham are concerned the glass has been dropped, the beer has pooled around my now sodden shoes and the bar staff are throwing me unimpressed looks).

I know we're in it for the long-haul as far as the LS is concerned, and hopefully it will improve in time (along with our levels of success), but I'm missing the Boleyn a lot more than I thought I would.
  • edited February 2018

buffy

He can't mean the potential of West Ham as he wouldn't have bought the club without knowing its value as an asset so he must mean the potential to move to the Olympic Stadium which seems equally unlikely as Boris had made it known he wanted a football team two years before S&G took over.

It would also seem highly unlikely that S&G hadn't considered moving to the OS, back in 2003 they proposed that Birmingham City Council should build a new stadium which Villa and City would share. It didn't go down well with the fans of either club or the council

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2003/jun/18/newsstory.sport11
  • edited February 2018
    Its common knowledge that Brady is a Gooner but if anyone was wondering which team Sullivan supports here's an interview from 2004

"I wish the club all the best. My heart is with them because I'm from Cardiff." But Sullivan added, "I'll be following what happens as a fan, not as a potential buyer. In a perfect world I would like to get involved with a London club next."

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/cant-believe-size-cardiff-debt-2412466

Amazing what you come across with Google
  • Grey

I wasnt being critical of sully i totally agree with him i wouldnt do all my money on west ham either like Jordan did at palace
  • Macca

Didn't suggest you were being critical (and it wouldn't matter if you were), just that you weren't giving the full context of the quote.