Board/Fan Relationship

Comments

• You mean that we were mocked before, oh noooooooooooooooooooooooo ;biggrin
  • I know. My self-esteem is in tatters. ;weep

• They made the money and decided to donate it / spend it how they wished
    Exactly the same as you or I do

The club's money, no?
  • I've ordered a claret and blue burka to hide my shame.
  • Mocked.

Me.

Bothered.

Not.
  • I am happy with our current owners/board and I think some people are too quick to forget what a bad situation we were in when they purchased the club. I am more comfortable having owners that really know West Ham, certainly in Gold’s case having been born in Green Street and who are genuine football fans rather than a far eastern wealty individual who has only heard of West Ham within the past year who would want us playing in yellow because it is his favourite colour.

Sullivan and Gold have invested well in players as many others on here have pointed out and I think they were right in getting Allardyce in when they did and were right getting rid of him when they did. The same will Bliic, the right appointment at the time but now probably the right decision again to let him go (although I have only recently come to that conclusion) I don’t have a problem with Brady, a smart business women, there would be plenty of large companies that would love to have her on their board.

I'm fairly sure that if we were in the top half of the table we would not be having these conversations, and hopefully we will be before too long.
  • edited November 2017

A soulless, corporate, prawn sandwich club with no identity.

What does that actually mean?

'soulless' ... obviously it's subjective for every person, but what do Arsenal not have (as symbolising 'soul') that we do, in your view? ;hmm

Also, do you not like prawns?
  • Maybe he meant a prawn club sandwich. And it's soulless because they have substituted chicken for prawn? ;hmm
  • Whitehorse there's not a half thumbs up symbol but I half agree or should that be I agree with half your post ;biggrin
  • c&b

I remember a club owner (can't remember who) saying that the only way to become a millionaire as a football club owner was to start off as a billionaire.

I've seen nothing to suggest that they are in it for profit.

I reckon some would say that the club accounts which show £12m in accrued interest owed to them (rising to £20m by 2020) is a suggestion they could be.

Whether they take it or not is another matter, let’s hope they turn it into equity, time will tell.
  • But how much have they put in?

I know these numbers seem huge to us mere mortals, but in the context of how much they put in they aren't big profits?

• Slizzy

They've put the money in to clear external debt and buy players, haven't they?
  • I don't think it matters whether it was a direct donation to the Tory party or buying some seats at a Tory party event. The club should not be putting its money (or even its owners' money transferred through the club) into anything connected to a particular political party. So for me it was indeed a major error on behalf of the owners/directors and one that personally I do find extremely embarrassing and angering. We know Karren Brady is a Tory, but she must keep that separate from her job at West Ham. Maybe two wrongs don't make a right, but it might be nice if they were to do the same for a Labour Christmas event this year just to show they recognise the error and to balance things up. (Yes, I know there are other parties - like birthday parties - but probably just a second one would be enough.)
  • Slizzy

They've put the money in to clear external debt and buy players, haven't they?

They put in £25m to cover the shortfall of relegation, something they caused.

Bottom line, they shouldn’t be rotting up interest imo let’s see how it pans out
  • MrsGrey said:

But how much have they put in?

I know these numbers seem huge to us mere mortals, but in the context of how much they put in they aren't big profits?

Around £100m? They earn about £20m as it stands right now, but how much is the club worth now?
  • Is that £20m figure different from the £20m by 2020?
  • I think the idea that they are in it for the profit relied on the model that they would sell the old ground, get the Olympic stadium, thus making the club more attractive for an investor in the style as Abromavich. At this time in the sale they get a bigger price plus all the interest money back which they have been building up. I don't think anyone thought we were able to supply profit at Upton Park and that this was the source of their profit ambitions, they will come in the future. They need more than anything to keep us in the premiership of course for this model to bear fruit.

What should be noted is that even if in it for the profit that does not mean to our detriment and it could be quite the opposite in that if they build the club and we are bought by a genuinely interested and long term investor of substance we could finally take the leap hoped for. Should they only seek a high price and not the right buyer we could end up in the hands of a fly by night chancer.

The other model is that the David's are West Ham fans who anticipate their children taking over once they retire and see the club as a great East End club and want to keep it that way rather than become owned by money investors.

The jury is still out of course.
  • MrsGrey said:

Is that £20m figure different from the £20m by 2020?

It is one of the same, assuming they pay it back in 2020, if they don’t it will keep on increasing, or they convert to equity? (If that’s possible)
  • With family issues for me can somebody help with figures of incoming/ outgoings roughly Brady in her newspaper column Bilic spent 45 mil I thort wed got sum of that back through sales ?
  • Last year or in total?

Based on Soccerbase

£10m net this year
    £23m 16/17
    £20m 15/

So that figure seems conservative.
  • The other model is that the David's are West Ham fans who anticipate their children taking over once they retire and see the club as a great East End club and want to keep it that way rather than become owned by money investors.

This is what both Dave's have said, that the club will go to their children.
  • Thanks grey I thought that and also quoted 100 million since Slav joined more than anyone outside of the top six thought I’d heard Everton spent that in the summer unless she includes re-sales in her sums when it suits
  • We have spent over 100m since Slav began but we’ve recouped a fair bit as well.

Plenty of spin, all round. I have no problem if they come out and say money’s tight here’s the financials just bear with us, also you can’t have it both ways there were 9,000 £99 tickets sold the last two years, that income really is a drop in the ocean these days and that’s without the cheapest adult in the PL at £289 and how many of those sold?

Where I get the hump is when they say the ticket money will be transfer kitty, well sorry something doesn’t add up from last summer £10-14m net?? We bring in £40m ticket revenue.....

Also we’ve used another loan facility just not payday hence the mortgaging of the training grounds
  • Plus the TV money is very much prominent now, that's an extra what £30mil we get every season

Pretty sure the club is ranked in the top 20 wealthiest clubs in the world

Why I'm not saying that we should have the top 20th highest budget in world football but I do think that we could spend more without risking ourselves financially

I just don't think the Daves have the money to push us on

Talk about net spend but a lot of teams have made huge money selling their best players (look at Everton, Southampton, Spurs and Liverpool etc) for ridiculous sums whereas the highest we ever got was Payet at £25mil and that's highest by a big margin
  • Top 20 wealthiest has nothing to do with available cashflow or even profit, it’s about revenue/income. We got that because of ticket sales and PL TV.
  • People can blame the media and in some cases that is true however, when you have a board member writing in the Sun of all papers that Slav had over 100m to spend and no other club outside the top 6 had that during his period, well it’s any wonder they’re openly criticized, absolute rubbish and is up there with the Tony Gale ignorant statement about spending.
  • Top 20 wealthiest has nothing to do with available cashflow or even profit, it’s about revenue/income. We got that because of ticket sales and PL TV.

That's why I said immediately after that te top 20 thing didn't mean we should have the 20th highest budget...
  • This is the sort of classless rubbish that grinds my gears. What is the point of splashing this stuff in a national newspaper?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/4890707/slaven-bilic-west-ham-karren-brady-david-moyes-sacking/amp/