Board/Fan Relationship

Comments

• ASLEF

He said he had always been played on the right, which wasn't true at all.

Snodgrass said he played on the right or "in the hole" and that was indeed where he'd played for Hull last season. He'd played on the left about a dozen times in six seasons before he joined us so obviously that's not his natural position

I still don't see how that is slagging off the club, more like slagging off a manager who has since been sacked
  • He's contracted to West Ham so therefore shouldn't criticise, hope that more to your liking ASLEF, them. If he can't handle Sullivan saying his kids begged him not to sign him then he needs to toughen up. Another good reason to out him at the earliest opportunity.
  • His kids shouldn't be in a position to affect transfers in the first place though. That's what you employ a manager for.
  • ASLEF

Sorry, got my sides confused, but the point is the same; he said
    Every time I played, I was on the left. I don't know why he did it.
    http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11685/11012294/robert-snogdrass-hits-out-at-under-fire-west-ham-boss-slaven-bilic

This is simply not true.

Can't find it now, but I did a touch map analysis at the time, and he played on the right for at least half the games, including his debut against Citeh.
  • His kids shouldn't be in a position to affect transfers in the first place though. That's what you employ a manager for.

Well, since both players were bought, it seems as though the kids don't affect transfer policy.
  • edited December 2017
    IronHerb said:

He's contracted to West Ham so therefore shouldn't criticise, hope that more to your liking ASLEF, them. If he can't handle Sullivan saying his kids begged him not to sign him then he needs to toughen up. Another good reason to out him at the earliest opportunity.

Snodgrass was told he could leave either on loan or by transfer at the beginning of August, he might be still under contract but its clear that there's no future for him at West Ham so why shouldn't he criticise if he wants to?

ASLEF

Sorry, got my sides confused, but the point is the same; he said

Every time I played, I was on the left. I don't know why he did it.
    http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11685/11012294/robert-snogdrass-hits-out-at-under-fire-west-ham-boss-slaven-bilic

This is simply not true.

Can't find it now, but I did a touch map analysis at the time, and he played on the right for at least half the games, including his debut against Citeh.

Yeah, he exaggerated the situation a tad but he was playing on the left a lot more than he was used to. At City he came on as a sub for Feghouli, for his first start against Saints he was on the left.
  • edited December 2017
    I think the board is in borrowed time with regard the fans respect and any goodwill left. I think they stretched it to the max with the appointment of David Moyes, which if he works out that could take the spotlight away from them, but make no mistake there appears a growing dislike of Sully and Brady, not least because of there inability to control their public sharing.

In short they could do well to remember a basic of good PR which is to take double your share of blame and half your share of praise. I think there is too much vanity within both of them to do this however.
  • I’ve never had a great deal of respect for Brady, her politics overshadow the good she does for women in business. The sycophants that fawn over her on Twitter is nauseating.

I was and still am greatful to the DDs for saving us from financial ruin and (IMO) certain administration. But Sullivan’s need to show publicly that he’s ‘the man’ makes me wonder if there is truth in the little man syndrome theory.

• edited December 2017
    If Sullivan expects the players to show loyalty and discretion when they comment about the club then he should do they same imo. To publicly make disparaging remarks about named players he signed and currently under contract to the club is unacceptable, unprofessional and destructive.

If a player had said he regretted coming to the club and his advisors were begging him not to deal with David Sullivan I wonder what the reaction would be?
  • I respect how they helped us out when we needed then but they cannot take us any higher and genuinely arent the best owners

The are childish and petty for the most part and they just reek of unprofessionalism imo

Unfortunately untill someone who can take us to the next level...which except from Red Bull ive heard nothing about clubs interested in us...then they are going to stay
  • Yes looks like we stuck with them and there lies the problem, they know there’s nothing out there to change things so they can do or say what they like basically
  • I don’t necessarily want to change them but I would really appreciate it if they would represent the clubs interests every time they make public comment.
  • @ SuzanneClaret
    "Regardless, the chairman and his loose tongue is, in my opinion, doing more harm than good. All he is doing is waving his ego about in public". You are so right.

I don't recall any of this from the previous owners or indeed from most other EPL boards. All matters about player quality should be handled internally. Sullivan ought to know that his negative jibes about players would draw a negative response because even after leaving WHU they still need to earn their living. So a defensive response is to be anticipated. Sullivan does not seem to understand human behavior.
    Not sure if it is something in the London Stadium water, food or the DNA of Sullivan that encourages him to wave his ago about, he should get it checked.
  • There are some cut from the same cloth, Mike Ashley springs to mind, the guy who bought Cardiff made them look restrained to be fair, not the type of company we would like our board to keep however.
  • Managers must question this. Why would anyone who doesn't have a point to prove come to us when it's almost inevitable that at some point you're going to be undermined? Definitely when things go a bit wobbly but probably even when things are going well and he wants to make it known that he apparently signed someone. He's already undermined Moyes with his talk about kinds of players we should sign.

I also honestly think he just lies. I think in his attempt to brag, he stretches things so beyond their reality that they're just not true anymore.
  • Mike Ashley doesn't go out of his way to talk to the media, he just does stupid things that gets media attention as does Assem Allam at Hull. Vincent Tan at Cardiff seems to have learnt his lesson and has kept quiet since his spat with supporters back in 2013

Steve Parish at Palace occasionally opens his mouth to change feet but who is Stoke's chairman? Or West Brom's? Bournemouth's? Burnley's? Leicester's?

The "big" teams generally have quiet chairmen, Abramovich doesn't talk to the press, when Levy speaks its usually for a good reason while Arsenal, Liverpool, Man City and Man U all seem happy to let their managers do the talking.

Our chairmen are quite unique in English Football, they want to be celebrities on a level with the players and manager.
  • I agree with Aslef there. I'd prefer a chairman to act like a 19th century kid... seen but not heard! I understand it's their money and they have the right but it's not a good thing when their names are so well known. I couldn't name too many other chairman and those I can are rarely spouting off.
  • Oh dear Karren Brady’s latest in The Sun about Snodgrass......

He’s still OUR player! What is she trying here some kind of reverse psychology that he will think “I’ll show her” when he comes back?

;doh
  • edited December 2017
    S_C_H_B,

You mean when he returns in an Aston Villa shirt if we sell him to them?
  • Who knows but right now he’s a WHUFC employee, disgraceful comments
  • I’m not her biggest fan but I don’t think she was saying anything out of order. I’m sure both club and player would acknowledge that it didn’t work out well
  • We paid £10.2m for Snoddie a year ago, now that we have announced to the world that he's not wanted here how much is he worth? £5m? £4m? A packet of Polos?
  • “The signing of Robert Snodgrass wasn’t exactly a triumph”

What on earth is she actually getting out of saying that? The player will resent it, the fans generally don’t like comments in the press like that and it won’t exactly add to his value either.

She needs to stop writing for that rag, it really is that simple
  • Granted - or if she continued to do so how about talking about josh kings attack on Obiang and demanding they review the evidence with a view to banning him
  • I said my piece at the beginning of this debate & I haven't changed my opinion. As a football fan I show solidarity with the 96 & it utterly appalls & embarrasses me to think that our vice-chairman writes for that awful rag.
    The fact that she spouts the sort of nonsense quoted above just makes it worse.
  • ;doh why can’t they just shut up.
  • Really don’t like her in any way shape or form, full of herself and I haven’t read her column because what she says is irrelevant to me
  • ;doh why can’t they just shut up.

Ego
  • Snoddy must be feeling well loved, first Sully comes out and says his kids begged him to sign Snodgrass, then Brady annouces the signing "wasn't exactly a triumph". He's still a West Ham player, still an asset from a business point of view, so how does it make sense to devalue him?

It really is incredible that these people have risen as high as they have considering their complete lack of nous when dealing with PR matters. As ASLEF says, their egos go above all else, and this is not a good thing for our club ;weep
  • Good for him, got the winner today, wished he’d lifted his Villa shirt and it said

“Ssssh Brady bunch”

;wink