The new manager hunt (was the Moyes thread) only 3 days to wait...

Comments

• edited November 2017

OCS

Yes indeed - if we finish 16th, 3 points above the drop zone does he get kept on?? ;hmm

I guess it depend on whether he's been set any targets, other than survival. I mean, we were probably targetting top 8 at the beginning of the season, but it wouldn't be fair to ask him to achieve that given our start.

Is top 10 a realistic target? I would say Sully seems to think so given his comments about believing we have the players that can achieve our original goal.

For me, a lot will depend on the performances. If we play really well over the next months but finish 15th, that may be enough to convince me that he deserves a longer contract ;hmm
  • Sacked Slaven Bilic personally telephoned West Ham stars to ask them where he had gone wrong. He was told he had not been tough enough on his squad and the intensity in training was too low.

[via @MirrorFootball]
  • Sullivan on Bilic: "We had to make a change. His eyes had gone & the fight had gone...I probably should have made the change in the summer."
  • I mean that's doesn't shock does it....

The players who went on loan to other clubs basically said that our training was always light as well as some of the first teamers

Not to mention the complete lack of intensity and fitness in our actual performances (can you recall anytime we performed for 90 minutes?)

As lukerz (I think) said the images of training always looked like they were just having some fun and doing shooting drills whereas Moyes first training session looked to be more intense and performing drills

• I think Oxford will go. He apparently has some residual value and is on a reported £20k a week. Cullen's been on loan for what two or two and a bit seasons now? His future is elsewhere imo.
  • because Oxford and Cullen are going to raise enough money to buy anyone of any quality to add to the squad ;lol
  • As a professional footballer surely you know what you need to be fit, all this after the horse as bolted doesn’t bode with me why not bring it up at the times through noble the captain are they really that bad at our club with no self discipline, I think inconsistency in performance didn’t help plus Slavs tactical inability at times
  • I'm not sure. Slav didn't seem too keen on playing the youth; Oxford didn't really feature after his mistake at Leicester, Rice likewise after Newcastle (until injuries dictated otherwise) and Martinez wasn't considered good enough despite 24 goals in 23 games for the Dev Squad.

It may be that Moyes, or whoever takes over in the summer, have a more proactive approach in playing the youth and the likes of Oxford, Rice, Martinez and Holland will get more of a chance.
  • edited November 2017
    OCS

We're only 6 points off 10th, and tbh, from what I've seen so far this season, there aren't any teams between us and 7th that we shouldn't be able to match, IF Moyes gets us going.

(Yes, it's a big IF...)
  • because Oxford and Cullen are going to raise enough money to buy anyone of any quality to add to the squad ;lol

Did I say that? ;hmm
  • IronHerb said:

I think Oxford will go. He apparently has some residual value and is on a reported £20k a week. Cullen's been on loan for what two or two and a bit seasons now? His future is elsewhere imo.

Makes me think that our chairmen are not letting the youth play for certain financial reasons.
  • edited November 2017
    welove

Sorry, but that doesn't make any sense at all.

Under the current chairmen the club committed to the investment to qualify us for Category 1 academy status.

We spend millions on the Academy each year, in the hope of bringing through players.

What possible financial advantage could there be to spending all that money, and then not playing players who were good enough?
  • Two things in I know it’s only the sun but made me laugh.
    1. Sullivan said Leon osman said he was the best manager he worked for ( who) lol
    2. And David Kidd says any hammers who wanted Bilic out should have been careful what they wished for cus his team at Sunderland emptied the ground far quicker than Bilic did in London.
  • For Leon Osman read Mark Noble as far as Everton fans go. Never herd of David Kidd.
  • Ironherb, get you and kidd is the suns chief sports writer apparently
  • Sunderland fans have been emptying their ground early for ten seasons, and it’s still empty now. Hardly think that’s solely the responsibility of David Moyes.
  • Nicely balanced article, that...
  • Horshamhammer, I don’t think that Sunderland fan likes Moyes one bit mate
  • This made me laugh...

he showed an utter contempt for our club.

;lol
  • to be fair that article is all the things that make me nervous about him...

There can be no doubt that it was a complete and utter embarrassment.

But then we're all hoping that the Sunderland time was a big blip in his career...
  • OCS

Yep, chips on both shoulders.
  • to be fair that article is all the things that make me nervous about him...

There can be no doubt that it was the Sunderland players were a complete and utter embarrassment.

But then we're all hoping that the Sunderland time was a big blip in his career...

OK. Fixed it for ya. ;biggrin
  • Tbh, Moyes will be over the moon to get this job. From the outside looking in, it seems that getting the defence sorted and letting the flair players do their thing is basically what needs to happen, and he is very capable of that. I’m warming to it, partly because he needs this to work badly if he wants his career to last beyond May
  • herb - ;wave

To be fair saying they were in a relegation fight after 2 games it not the greatest form of player motivation...
  • Wasn't wrong though but I see where you're coming from. ;ok
  • His 1st proper interview due on sky from 6pm UK time...
    Just hope he comes across positive, not dour...
    Also a more trendier suit than the one he adorned for the club website... ;ok ;run
  • I liked his suit on the club website, thought he looked pretty dapper, tbh
  • Tonka has his say:

“I hope West Ham fans get behind him, because their support will certainly give him a greater chance of success,” says Ray.

“I think any genuine West Ham fan will want the new manager to do well. Because it’s not about personal opinions or individuals, it’s about the good of the club and

“As a professional footballer, nothing beats confidence. If you walk out on the pitch and feel that spirit, that togetherness and that belief, then it can make such a huge difference.

“The fans in the stadium must understand how big a part they can play in helping the team. I just urge all West Ham fans – whatever your personal opinions about individuals or decisions – to get behind the manager and the team when they step out on the pitch, because we all want the same thing – for West Ham to be successful.”

Read more at http://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2017/november/08-november/moyes-great-choice-west-ham-manager-ray-stewart#MuRVHElUwRP43fpQ.99
  • I think it will all come down to these first three matches as he has a chance in each to make an impression and take points, if he fails to do so and in turn fails to get the fans behind him he may find after the next three he may be getting his head called for in January. If however he makes a good start and can show himself to be making a mark on the players and how we play, and all importantly picking up points I feel the fans will forget their disillusion at his appointment and get behind him as we always do.

West Ham fans are hard but it works both ways, if he gives everything and ensures the players do then he wont be short of support, but if nothing changes he may have the shortest lived honeymoon period in the history of time.

This discussion has been closed.