The new manager hunt (was the Moyes thread) only 3 days to wait...

Comments

• They can’t stop telling porkies......
  • More likely they thought saying they would appoint a DoF sounded impressive and would go down well with the fans before they'd actually bothered asking Moyes his opinion on the proposal.
  • Probably, or it was just a “move” to quieten the discontented fans around the time
    Of proposed marches and fan meets
  • It just means that Sully can now throw Moyes under a bus much easier, should he be appointed, and things are not going well at the start of next season...
    " Well you know we wanted to appoint a Director of Football, but the manager insisted he wanted total control - and he has to be judged by his results. There are some bargains to be had in South America etc......."
    Isn't it funny that, a few games after the excitement and protests at the Burnley game, we all then get excited about beating Southampton, and a draw with Chelsea, then the first bit of back tracking starts. They must feel that they have dodged a bullet. A director of Football is much more than somebody involved in scouting and transfers, they put in place a template that exists throughout the teams, so that we all play to a plan, and the DOF has a say in hiring even the manager to make sure that plan is adhered to. Arsenal have appointed the Ex Barca DOF last year - and they've got Wenger in place !
    I do hope, that once we are technically safe, the pressure is put back on this board. Their game plan will have worked to perfection - do just enough to stay in the prem - make a profit on player sales - enjoy the Sky money for another year. Spend 30 Mill. in the Summer .... ;doh
  • edited April 2018
    That quote doesn't actually say that a Director of Football would be appointed.

And I don't in any case think changing a plan after further thought and discussion means that the original plan was a lie, necessarily.
  • Hope there is a protest at the last home game of the season regardless of the league we will be in next season.
  • You mean from the minutes? I don’t see how that doesn’t say they will appoint a DoF. And any way it might be interpreted otherwise would be more dishonest than just changing the decision.
  • So we have to almost have a lawyer's forensic level of observation to establish exactly what is said.
    There was a CLEAR effort on behalf of the board to establish that he was going to step away and appoint a DOF or equivalent. Subsequent articles in the media to that effect were not challenged.The Standard piece interviews Moyes who agrees with it, but quibbles about the title only - in quotes.
    To suggest that Sullivan didnt really say or mean it is disingenuous at best. It was announced at a time of supporter unrest and media interest. Now it seems that this was/ may be a tactic. Moyes has not done enough for me to start laying the law down about his future - a DOF should be appointed to look at Moyes's long term prospects, not the other way round.
    Still - saves a salary I guess. Another example of us being made to look like amateurs at board level.

If we have to forensically take apart every thing that Sullivan says then we will be having some real fun on this forum.
  • I’m not convinced fans wanted a DOF. They just wanted Sullivan out of the loop, especially in player selection.
  • Don't trust Moyes much more than Sully tbf...don't think his transfer record inspires confidence

But long term Sully needed to get away from it
  • It will always revolve around Sully. A DoF is just a different person to where the blame can be deflected when it goes wrong. They were quick to mock Slav getting snodgrass and Fonte, however for all we know Slav might have wanted other better quality players but Sully might have refused to pay what was required. After all that is exactly what happened in the case of Carvalho
  • Wenger is available ;whistle
  • Moyes is probably about the best we can hope for right now, I really hope he does "An EFC" but it's going to be tough, funny we've gone from the owners spouting "Champions league football", "Move will help us close the gap to the next level", to the manager now proclaiming "I'd like to get us consistently top 10"......

Will be interesting to see how much he will have to play with, I'd be surprised if it's over 30m
  • I’d say to turn the squad round with better balance it’s 50 million he needs and that doesn’t include sales generated cash will he get or not in my lifetime
  • Moyes is probably about the best we can hope for right now, I really hope he does "An EFC" but it's going to be tough, funny we've gone from the owners spouting "Champions league football", "Move will help us close the gap to the next level", to the manager now proclaiming "I'd like to get us consistently top 10"......

Will be interesting to see how much he will have to play with, I'd be surprised if it's over 30m

Personally I think the manager has more grip on our reality than our owners/board. I think it was ridiculous of the board to make such a statement.
  • They felt they had to sell the move, theybe made some outrageous statements since they arrived.

I honestly believe if they’d been a bit more realistic they'd get more respect from the fans and less hassle.

Trouble is they were blinded by the need to sell 57k seats at all costs.....otherwise immediately the move is questioned, they’ve not held up their end of the bargain though, where is the 40m a season net spend, add to that wasting untold and taking their interest while not doing enough in the last 4 Windows, you reap what you sow

for us constant top 10 is the next step.
  • edited April 2018

They felt they had to sell the move, theybe made some outrageous statements since they arrived.

I honestly believe if they’d been a bit more realistic they'd get more respect from the fans and less hassle.

Trouble is they were blinded by the need to sell 57k seats at all costs.....otherwise immediately the move is questioned, they’ve not held up their end of the bargain though, where is the 40m a season net spend, add to that wasting untold and taking their interest while not doing enough in the last 4 Windows, you reap what you sow

Not sure if they were discounting seats to fill the new stadium, which I thought they would have to do in any event that they’d raise anywhere near the sort of revenue to give a 40 million surplus for transfers, sounds like pie in the sky thinking imo.
  • They were pretty clear that the move should generate 10-12m more a season than the Boleyn which was around 26m and Gold has always claimed the ticket money was the transfer kitty

Either way they fell well short
  • Agree they fell well sort but I think they would have said anything to sell the move to the fans & SAB.
  • Unfortunately yes, all they had to do was be a bit more realistic, they’ve dug their own hole with some of the things they’ve come out with. That being said my pet peeve is when fans say they were promised next level and world class players...

NO YOU WEREN’T!!!
  • SCHB

Correct we only made £1.5m extra through match receipts.

It’s not difficult to figure out where they got the £10m-£12m figure.

A very crude calculation would be:

An extra 26,000 people (34k to 60k) at an average cost of £400+ per season ticket. The cost of running the stadium for West Ham would be covered by the match day food, etc.

Obviously, with all the discounting, we haven’t seen the increase in the match receipts we want to see. But this is a 99 year lease. Over time, I’m expecting the ‘moving stadium’ discounts to be phased out (while keeping the standard ‘over 65s’ and ‘under 12s’ discounts).
  • Maybe the factored in get a percentage of naming rights which the lddc or who ever have still not managed to sell
  • Adam,
    I think over time and with improved performances from the team taking us nearer to the level we’d like us to be at, prices will be hiked and discounts removed.

• That being said my pet peeve is when fans say they were promised next level and world class players...

NO YOU WEREN’T!!!

Erm, Brady definitely said something about world class players for a world class stadium.

I suppose she is wrong on 2 counts then ;whistle
  • She said that we should be able to attract top class players with a larger capacity ground
    Is it the board's fault that we couldn't?
  • dee,

Possibly not but it depends if you have a large enough group pf players to try to sign from surely a few must come off? We don't appear to do that. ;ok
  • deehammer said:

She said that we should be able to attract top class players with a larger capacity ground
    Is it the board's fault that we couldn't?

Well, if the board won't pay for them, then yes, it's the board's fault. Let's be honest, we were stitched up over the move, there is just no denying it.
  • To me (and I know many won’t agree), this feels like deja vu of the Zola season where we just about survived. Consistently not good enough yet will probably survive with a pretty underwhelming points tally. To many that might seem to be acceptable to keep Moyes on (ie surviving in the PL) however I am not of that view. We’ve had countless opportunities to pull ourselves above 40 points yet have blown it time and again, to the extent that we find ourselves agonising over not holding out for a point v Arsenal. It should never have come to this.
  • barracks,
    Agree Moyes should be given another season to stamp his authority on the club, too often it is about muppets like Sullivan who is at both a muppet and an embarrassment to our club.
This discussion has been closed.