The new manager hunt (was the Moyes thread) only 3 days to wait...

Comments

• It's certainly possible Alderz, but I still don't think that the board considered Moyes their No1 target. My personal opinion is that he was considered a means to an end in keeping us up, after which point we would look elsewhere (Benitez or Silva).

As it's transpired, Moyes is proving himself very capable and increasingly popular so I fully expect them to give him a longer contract in the summer.
  • "Listen, we'd like it if you'd manage us. We know we're down the wrong end of the table, so we understand if you don't want a long-term contract"
    "Yeah, I understand. You don't want to sign me up for five years and then have me take you into the Championship in five months!"
    "Right! How about we agree to see how it goes this season, and then we'll sit down in the summer and talk long-term?"
    "Sounds good to me!"

This version does not allow for the assumption that the Board are cheapskates, incompetent, weak, conniving or reluctant to sign Moyes, or that Moyes doesn't want to sign, hates West Ham, is the second choice, or wants to leave in the summer, and so is useless to this forum.

I agree that I don't know what I'm talking about, and apologise for this post in advance, and agree with any statement anybody wishes to make following this.
  • edited February 2018

This version does not allow for the assumption that the Board are cheapskates, incompetent, weak, conniving or reluctant to sign Moyes,

Not sure why it doesn't allow that assumption at all; I think you could be spot on with the dialogue but I still think the board are cheapskates, incompetent, weak and conniving.
  • I don't really know what my theory is on how they came to the agreement they did, and I guess it doesn't really matter what I think went on, because I won't ever get a confirmation anyway.

IMO it's only fair to give the owners credit for a good decision. They appointed someone who is doing a good job. My own feeling on the owners doesn't really impact upon that.
  • Moyes goes on a charm offensive ;biggrin
    “I’m having dinner with [former Academy Director] Tony Carr and one or two other people who have been part of the Club, so I’m building up my knowledge on West Ham and trying to become more informed.

“I want to embrace the ex-players. We’ve had Ray Stewart and Tony Cottee down, I’ve invited Tony Gale in and I’m trying to get Frank McAvennie down from Scotland. I’ve told them they can come and watch training, as I’ve got nothing to hide, or come to a game.

“For football clubs to flourish, they need the ex-players around it, even around the training ground. If any of the ex-players want to come in, we’re saying come down and have lunch with us.”
    Read more at http://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2018/march/09-march/moyes-confirms-hart-will-start-goal-against-burnley#ZWMElhmjfRkmQ4RY.99
  • edited March 2018

Charm offensive, or new transfer policy ;whistle
  • Genuine question, what was the reason for replacing Tony Carr with Terry Westley, that is of course if it is actually known.
  • I am guessing Tony Carr wanted to retire.
  • I don't think Tony Carr wanted to retire, he was shunted upstairs when he was 63, and became an "ambassador" but when he reached 65 was offered a part time role which he rejected.

Westley had been S&G's youth manager at Birmingham City.
  • Not really any better than Slav
  • Could be the official end of Moyes career hopefully Everton do the same with Allardyce and we can finally see some new young blood managers in.
  • Not to be reactionary, because I felt until a few games ago that he was doing a good job, BUT after 23 games Moyes win % is 26.09%. That is the worst of any of our permanent managers. Zola had 28.75%, Roeder had 31.40%, Grant had 31.91%.

6 wins in 23 is pretty abysmal.
  • We have now had several meltdown performances too. I’m not convinced he’s one who can handle a crisis
  • Some of the decisions have been strange, IMO.

Dropping Hernandez right as he found some form, sticking with Mario even though he has offered very little, not making subs til extremely late on in games, rarely using all three subs, not giving Hugill a sniff, bringing Evra into the side after Antonio had just given a very good performance at wing back.

I am no longer convinced he's the long term answer, but he still has plenty of time to turn my opinion around.
  • I thought Moyes was doing really well but the last three games have been bad.

Against Liverpool, I thought we were good in the first half and eventually their quality told, so no real alarm bells.

Swansea reminded me a lot of watching Slav’s teams crumble. Just awful.

Today, we were playing well before they scored the first goal and didn’t deserve to be behind. I maintain we looked good enough to get back into the game before everything turned toxic.

But I just don’t know anymore. I thought he was turning the defensive shape around, but he hasn’t. Teams keep pouring through at will and it’s despressing to watch.
  • We have now had several meltdown performances too. I’m not convinced he’s one who can handle a crisis

barracks,

I’d add that i’m not sure we have the players to handle a meltdown either.
  • I still have a slice of humble pie in my pantry, I looked at longingly a few games ago but something stopped me.

Unfortunately I doubt if I will be going near it any time soon

;cake
  • I'm not suggesting we sack Moyes but I would suggest his job shouldn't be dictated by whether we stay up or not. He's either a good enough manager for us next season (whatever league we are in) or he is not.

If we are going to gofor a trendier, younger manager then I'd just go and get Silva now instead if waiting around to discuss things at the end of the season when another club has already signed him.
  • It's hard to judge Moyes as there is little doubt he has brought something to us and we have achieved certain results because of the qualities instilled, yet he has also been no more consistent than Slav and we have certainly had our share of shockers under both this season.

I think appraise at the end of the season, at present I am slightly in favour of keeping him on.
  • Moyes got a bit cocky when we were doing well, but he's never dealt well with any team losing form. His dour 'tell it like it is' approach doesn't exactly lift the spirits, and its a bit of 'The Darkest Hour' stuff needed now. ps If we're in the Champo, he's the last man I want in charge. Nobby would be a good shout, not as manager but in the support team. pps my humble pie is ready and I'll be delighted to eat it after the Everton game ;cake
  • It's hard to judge Moyes as there is little doubt he has brought something to us and we have achieved certain results because of the qualities instilled, yet he has also been no more consistent than Slav and we have certainly had our share of shockers under both this season.

I think appraise at the end of the season, at present I am slightly in favour of keeping him on.

Almost like the issue is the quality and depth of the squad... ;hmm
  • they had a Jan window to help Moyes out with and refused to.
  • If only they'd signed a defender, a midfielder and a forward.
  • MrsGrey said:

If only they'd signed a defender, a midfielder and a forward.

Of course, signing those players and signing players who are any good are two different things.
  • They signed a striker.....really
  • They signed a defender....really?
  • Chortle chortle, most hilarious.

I was replying to yeold's statement that they 'refused' to help Moyes out in the summer window. A statement which is clearly false.
  • MrsGrey said:

a past it defender whilst selling our other CB that offers Nothing
    a striker that cannot get off the bench
    an up and down midfield player ?

• Oh, sorry. I had my telepathy turned off when I read and responded to your earlier comment. ;ok
  • MrsGrey said:

But what was the point in signing Hugill, and did it improve us at all? He's been available for 450 minutes of football since signing, and he has played 12. That's 2.7% of available minutes that he's played for us. He replaced Sakho, who played 293 of the 1620 minutes he was available, 18%. So basically, we replaced a guy who never played with someone who plays even less.

Mario for Ayew is probably an improvement given his form for us, but Evra definitely hasn't improved us.

Loaning out Reece Burke AND selling Jose Fonte was daft, given our lack of other options.

Personally, I feel that we have a weaker squad now than we did before the transfer window
This discussion has been closed.