The new manager hunt (was the Moyes thread) only 3 days to wait...

Comments

• edited November 2017
    Dodger ;ok After an initial ;weep when the appointment was trawled in the press, I'm now coming round to thinking it might be OK. Time will tell, but I have a more open mind now.
  • Just watching his interview and he says his first focus was always on playing attacking football. I never had that impression watching his teams...

I think we are a much better squad than at Sunderland and he has a point to prove.

If he rediscovers his moojo there is a reason the Fergie picked him.
  • edited November 2017
    I'm just glad that Slav is now getting a break - He looked ill towards the end. That kind of ongoing stress can shorten your life, and I'm deliberately ignoring his salary as some sort of cushion etc. I will always follow his career.

I wish Moyes all the luck in the world and hope he can steady the ship.
  • Going backwards
  • edited November 2017
    Vorse said there is a reason Fergie picked him and I think that is true. What didn't do David Moyes any good was Fergie sitting in the Directors' box week after week like the ghost of Christmas past. It must have put unnecessary pressure on Moyes especially with the press making comments about Fergie's obvious displeasure over what he was seeing. It reminded me of Revie undermining Brian Clough at Leeds Utd.

I can't comment about his time in Spain as Spanish football holds no interest for me and I never followed his adventures there.

Sunderland was always a poisoned chalice and I don't think he had a chance there.

I am not especially pleased with the appointment but will support him. I just hope the players show some Professionalism and start and I mean start playing for the manager, the club and the fans. ;ok
  • Completely agree Dodger. Moyes built a top quality side who were excellent to watch and worked hard every week, with limited budget. So consistent season after season. I think he’s going to be excellent for us.
  • Was just thinking. Has Moyes got a good record of giving youngsters a chance?
  • Going backwards

From where? When did we ever go 'forwards'? The Payet season was clearly an outlier, rather than the norm/benchmark.

We'd struggle to be much worse than we have been for the last year or so.
  • I'm getting so many messages from mates about this appointment, unfortunately I can't get away from people at work. I really do hope you surprise us all Mr Moyes.

I'm also curious as to what his first team will be. If we believe his first job will be to concede less do we think Lanzini could be dropped? He may be seen as a luxury? I hope not but I can see it.
  • ;pray we are wrong
  • Why does anybody care what fans of other clubs think? Bewildering. I couldn’t give a proverbial what anybody thinks about West Ham except other West Ham supporters.
  • Welcome mr moyes

I do use other west ham forums ;whistle but i always like coming back here because the posts are so well balanced.
    I have seen posts saying we should have gone for ancelotti,marco silva etc well maybe those managers were not available or they did not want to come to west ham.
    Like it or not david moyes is our new manager and i am prepared to give him a fair crack of the whip and get behind him.
  • I always found Everton good to watch under him. They scored goals, were pretty robust at the back, and they didn't just lump it forward. I like watching teams get the ball wide and whipping crosses into the box, which he does, but he also had flair players who were good to watch too.

I would expect his side to be look something like:

Hart; Zabaleta Fonte Reid Cresswell; Antonio Obiang Kouyate Arnautovic; Lanzini; Hernandez

But I think the bigger differences will be a demand on the midfield to work back harder, better fitness, and more of a defensive plan / structure / shape / clue.

He's a good manager who has had his fingers burnt recently. He is far from my ideal appointment, but I am confident he will have the ability to steady the ship and improve the performances of the side immeasurably.

The difference between our side and Sunderland's side last year is that we actually have some decent players, we are just badly out of form.
  • Why does anybody care what fans of other clubs think? Bewildering. I couldn’t give a proverbial what anybody thinks about West Ham except other West Ham supporters.

Are there any West Ham supporters who are enthused by this appointment? Very few, judging by the reaction so far.

Are there any West Ham supporters who are enthused by this appointment? Very few, judging by the reaction so far.
    I didn’t say there were.
  • Isn’t Fonte out for few months?
  • Not My first choice but i will give him a fair chance i do believe what he does bring is
    organisation and strict boot camp style management some of these guys need at this point of the season , i don't think some players will get away with 755 ion training under Moyes .

Good Luck Mr Moyes .
  • 75% in training ;ok
  • Cottee saying if they got the man they wanted then why not give him a longer contract instead of short term
  • Had some sour cream last night I think it was off ,bit like what is going on at West ham

IF this was directed at me Jorderz....

I didn't say I cared, I've just personally got an unusually high level of negative comments from mates. I don't only think it's West Ham fans questioning this appointment.

I'll be interested to see what avenue Everton go down for their appointment. I personally believe we are on par with them in terms of expectations. Even though the board has stated they would've like CL football within 5/7 years, I've felt we should be aiming between 6th and 8th like Everton achieve regularly.
  • edited November 2017
    sweepy23 said:

Even though the board has stated they would've like CL football within 5/7 years, I've felt we should be aiming between 6th and 8th like Everton achieve regularly.

I agree - I want steady upper-mid table, if that makes sense. I remember saying that I felt that's what we should be aiming for, a consistent 'good' finish, the last time we had this discussion (before Slav).
  • If he can just get them to run for more than the first half of a football match that will be an improvement.
  • I’ll get behind him like I have every manager but if he thinks I’m changing my name or my avi then he can think again!
  • I’ll get behind him like I have every manager but if he thinks I’m changing my name or my avi then he can think again!

He'll be devastated ;lol

Davey_Cups_His_Haggis
  • Well we have been crying out for a new DM for ages. ;hmm

#carefulwhatyouwishfor
    #mixedmessages
    #shouldagotCarvalhobutgotDavidMoyesinstead
    #gratuitoushashtags
  • I wonder. Does Westfield have a ready stock of large Afro style wigs ;whistle
  • In truth I am trying not to pay attention to the reaction of fans, what I will be paying close attention to is the system we deploy and the reaction of the players.

I wish Moyes every success and will be behind him, I have a decent slice of humble pie sitting on my shelf and I am very eager to tuck into it

coyi
This discussion has been closed.