Liverpool (H) who will leak the least (4th November match thread)

14567810»

Comments

• edited November 2017
    Basically, yes we are (IMO) 'bigger' clubs than Watford, Huddersfield, Bournemouth, and Burnley, and if this was out of season I would think a manger of one of them would be potentially interested in making the switch. But right now, at this point in time almost a third of the way through the season it would be a huge risk for them to move to us. They are all in pretty cushty positions and if they are ambitious to move on can do so at the end of the season. But to do so now, to a team in our position one point above the drop, with fans who expect much more, and no huge war chest, it is far too big a risk on their current high reputations (IMO obvs).
  • Just as you say managers fear damaging their reputation, you can easily say managers are looking for a quick opportunity to rebuild their reputation. The longer you're out of a job, the harder it is to get another one. Surely these managers have confidence to pick us up. It isn't even like we're cut adrift at the bottom of the league. 3 wins on the bounce and we're top half.
  • All fair points Jorderz ;ok
    However it is my belief that while we are looking so poor we come across as a risk too great. Obviously someone will take a chance and jump at the position (should we sack Slav) but I don't think it will be any of the six Lukerz suggested, nor can I think of any inspiring to me managers who would.
  • Moyes you are joking
  • 3 wins on the bounce? At the moment I'd be ecstatic with 1 win.
  • sweepy23 said:

We are supposedly in the top 20 richest football clubs in the world. I don’t think it’s too hard to find a decent manager. Some clubs have had 2 or 3 great managers on the trott. We’re just run like pawnbrokers.

Pretty sure we’re not the top 20 “richest”, probably top 20 “income”?
  • Worryingly 4 of our next 5 games are live on Sky so more misery for more people.
  • Had 1-4 in the predictor. Should have had a bet.

Me too!
  • Worryingly 4 of our next 5 games are live on Sky so more misery for more people.

Good
    Everyone can be tormented
  • We were crying out for someone like Marco Silva before the season had even started

Hindsight is marvellous.
  • edited November 2017
    Moyes, please no ;doh
    Phil Neville no no no ;doh ;doh ;doh
  • Every goal we concede, ever new level of crass incompetence we lurch to no longer hurts me. I think am now institutionalised. I feel like I’m in Shawshank

Brooks_a_hammer ;hmm
  • Coming back to the game, the onus is surely on the captain to ensure that when we are having our first corner of the game at 0-0 after 20 mins, against a team with frightening pace, that more than one player stays back??...
  • TBF Barack’s, I would expect all 11 players to be able to organise that. When I played at Sunday level (in goal), I was always the one shouting to the defence when we had a corner to make sure the two full-backs were just in front of the halfway line and that we had a CM in between them and the 18 yard box. Nobody else ever organised that. I would expect Hart to see there being a potential issue should we turnover possession.

But Slav is the one who should be responsible. If he sees we aren’t set up as he wants, he needs to shout to Cress and Fernandes where he wants them and what he wants. Ironically I actually think we were set up how he wanted, which just shows the gaping issues we have with our management team.
  • Lukerz said:

TBF Barack’s, I would expect all 11 players to be able to organise that. When I played at Sunday level (in goal), I was always the one shouting to the defence when we had a corner to make sure the two full-backs were just in front of the halfway line and that we had a CM in between them and the 18 yard box. Nobody else ever organised that. I would expect Hart to see there being a potential issue should we turnover possession.

But Slav is the one who should be responsible. If he sees we aren’t set up as he wants, he needs to shout to Cress and Fernandes where he wants them and what he wants. Ironically I actually think we were set up how he wanted, which just shows the gaping issues we have with our management team.

Bilic probably did shout, but he's so far from the pitch they didn't hear him
  • edited November 2017
    2m?
  • I feel almost dirty suggesting it, but Phil Neville is going to be a better manager than his brother, and I wouldn't mind him sorting our defence out. But not with Moyes, nononono. How about Jap Stam, he seems to push his teams a bit harder than our present management team. I'd look to the Championship myself, they're more likely to take the job. Sigh, gloom etc
  • edited November 2017
    1. First goal

There were two players back for their corner - but they were Cressers and Edi. Not reknowned for their tackling ability. So the question for me is why Slav lets all three centre backs go up for a corner in the first ten minutes. That is surely his choice and one that seems rather risky to me.

Edi got a lot of stick from MacManamanana and others on Sky for not taking out Salah. However, firstly I don't think he was balanced or close enough to do this. And secondly, even if he had, since Salah didn't have the ball, Mane would just have passed to the Ox, who was also free to score. Sure Edi could have done better, but he's not a defender. and for me, it's firstly about the tactics regarding who stays back and secondly about the positioning of the two staying back.

2. Second goal

The second goal was just unlucky. Yes, Kouyate didn't need to head it out for a corner - probably could have been smarter and won a goalkick. But he's not a defender, so won't have these instincts.

3. Some positives

We played some good stuff in brief spells, with Lanzini and Ayew looking very sharp and hardworking as well as skilful. Ayew should have scored and things might have gone very differently after that. But the main question is why we didn't start off the match like we played in the start of the second half.

Also, as noted for their goals, we were missing two CBs and two RBs/three RWBs. We just don't have the strength in depth to cope with that, though possibly Rice should have been trusted at CB. However, Zaba is back next game.

4. The lack of effort & energy

MacManamoan said he was shocked by the lack of effort in the first half. I think this impression was partly down to the players playing to Bilic's instructions to sit deep. He seemed happy with the way they had played. But surely we can keep a relatively deep line but still be biting at the oppo's ankles, pressing as a team? Was the fact that we didn't down to poor instructions, fitness or attitude?

5. The bigger picture

All in all, important for me not to debate Bilic's future on the basis of how one game went but on the last year or so. And the string of heavy defeats at our new home show that it is a poor record over the last season and a bit, for which Bilic must take responsibility.
  • I couldn't understand why nobody was on the back post for their second. If someone was, they might have been able to stop it.
  • I thought that too, but I don't think they would have been able to stop a shot from that distance, PH.
This discussion has been closed.