West Brom vs West Ham - Saturday 16.09.17 3:00 Match Thread

Comments

• This was such a poor game, devoid of any quality that it deserves to be last on MOTD in 3 weeks time
  • Yeah, an away point isn't too bad, but three would have been very useful.

So Spurs next is it? Don't think we'll get anything from that, so looking like 4 points from 6 games. Very disappointing start given who we've played.
  • edited September 2017
    Some midfield creativity missing I think. ;hmm
    The sooner Manu is back the better.
  • Good away point considering our start to the season.

So am i still match thread creator after a draw ;hmm
  • Yeold

You have managed to stop us conceding - I think Slav should recruit you into his back room staff
  • ;hmm just woke up might have to replay tonight to send me to sleep again .at lest we tried to play never easy against that lot they must be the worse team to watch in the prem .
  • edited September 2017
    Still think we need to get Hernandez in the middle and put Carroll back to the bench and put Antonio Arnie up with Hernandez in a front 3
  • Once we realised WBA were not going to attack we needed to change system, the 343 with full backs as wing backs was too defensive so we could not create. Our 'spare man' in space when attacking was always one of the outside CBs, who aren't our best creative options.

We should have been more adventurous IMO changed to a 4231 or I think a 442 (Hart;Cress,Reid,Fonte,Zab;Arnie,Kouyate,Obiang,Ant;Carroll,Hernandez) at half time, especially as it seemed Collins was struggling. Little bit disappointed Slav was not braver to change formation today.

With Hernandez, he works so hard but he is not a wide man. Either play someone else in that role or play a different formation.

However it's a point away from home which is always useful. We move on.
  • Sakho is the only one of our forwards who can run the channels and be effective when he does so
  • A clean sheet and a point away from home is never bad, unless the opposition is a really negative WBA, then the result will leave you feeling totally flat.

Gawd knows what WBA were thinking, they did know that they were playing West Ham Utd didn't they?

I swear that if ever Tony Pulis is appointed our manager, I will take a sabbatical.

Agree with most of the comments here, let's set ourselves up so that our fox in the box, can actually get into the box, I do not recall Tony Cottie playing left wing

Not a disaster, but not that great either
  • If Spurs beat Swansea by four goals or more, we will be out of the drop zone. Come on you... ;hmm nope I can't bring myself to say it
  • take the point move on that's 4 away games and only one home .
  • Good away point considering our start to the season.

Go for it.
  • Whilst I hear the argument to have gone 4-4-2, you just know that that would have opened us up, WBA would have stayed defensive and we wouldn't have broken them down, and we would have lost 1-0.

A clean sheet away in the PL for a team who conceded 10 in the first 3 games is a positive.

But yes, no more Hernandez on the wing. If 3-4-3 is the way forward, it needs to be Carroll or Hernandez imo
  • edited September 2017

Good away point considering our start to the season.

Go for it.
    its up, long may the 0 goals conceded continue
  • Missed the game, reading the posts glad I did.....

The stats on the Beeb we seemed the better side...

2 clean sheets and 4 points after 4 away games, ok....
  • still think Carroll should be our last 20 minute guy i just think Hernandez in the middle will force us to play the style of football that the majority of fans want to see and we will not see punts up the top as much. I just think Hernandez has the movement to pull players left and right alot better and Antonio and Arnie probably want a more mobile player to play off than a flick on from Carroll.
  • edited September 2017
    WBA were obviously waiting for us to open up, as they had nothing to hurt us n our starting shape.

Would have liked the win, and we were the only team really looking for it, but as alderz said, after shipping 10, 2 clean sheets, one of them away, is no bad thing.

i think we need to accept that this season has to be played in sections.

Our first challenge is to get away from the relegation spots, and be bottom of the middle third.

IF we achieve that, then we can start to look at taking more chances and opening up more.

Until then, be very difficult to beat.

We played two quite poor sides, and lost both, conceding 3 in each game.

We've played 2 sides of a similar standard got 4 points and not conceded.

I'll have that for now.
  • a draw is better than a loss but I am finding myself questioning Bilics tactical ability more and more. we have a good squad of players but you have to use them correctly ie little pea or Carroll or play them as a pair. Bilic also seems poor at adapting our tactics as the game changes. i will take the point but Bilic????????
  • Barney

Well, he managed to go from 10 conceded in 3 to 0 in two, so I think he deserves some tactical credit.

He will not be unaware that he is sacrificing Chicarito atm, but sometimes that is what you have to do.
  • At the end if this game I'm going to hunt down the Radio London commentators and rip out their voiceboxes ;angry

This was probably the only highlight of the day.

I'm not sure why we've got rid of wingers, who might not have done that much but could've settled, to waste money on Arnautovic who's showing even less.

He has to work out how to play Hernandez as a striker. I find it so frustrating watching AC on his own, even when we try to cross to him we're rarely able to actually find him.
  • Was Bilic trying to boost players' confidence today? After battering in the previous three away games today's clean sheet should have boosted player confidence. They can defend and with a bit of luck can also score. With Carroll in the team it is always going to hoof in a 3-5-2 formation and that marginalises Hernandez. I don't think Fernandez can play in the middle in this formation. He could be the second striker in 4-4-2 formation but that has leaked goals. That is the conundrum Bilic has to solve as Hernandez is wasted on the wing.
  • This was such a poor game, devoid of any quality that it deserves to be last on MOTD in 3 weeks time

Match of the Day - The Insomniac Edition.
  • I think we played ok
    It's like the team finally clicking together
    Gotta be injury free
  • I do not think that AC liked being taken off, not one bit, he was shaking his head the entire time it took him to saunter off.

• Some one check stats

1st half """" yesss pants"""
    2nd ?????
    Clean sheet , point from a bogie team arguable ;hmm
  • chicago, I noticed. ;ok I wasn't sure if he was disgruntled at being taken off, the way he played, or not scoring.

He wasn't a happy bunny though.
  • I reckon he was probably just frustrated. He didn't do much wrong but it's not like things were going so well that he would've felt he had a chance of changing things. It was one of those days where the balls to him weren't exactly right, nor was he was always in the right places to attack them - which I think is hard against CBs like those in a Pulis side.
  • Friends at the game said Hernandez was playing pretty central.
  • The first 3 games we conceeded 10 goals

We now have 2 clean sheets I couldn't care less who they were against as it looked as if ANY team could knock past 3 past us

He's steadied the ship with 3 at the back and hopefully the goals will start to come

I'd be more embarrassed if I was a WBA fan not only have we been rubbish away this season but we were the superior team and showed more ambition which is working for them

Feel Lanzini is just so key to this teams creativity as he can do stuff with the ball at his feet that no one in our team can
This discussion has been closed.