West Brom vs West Ham - Saturday 16.09.17 3:00 Match Thread

Comments

• Hart
    Reid Collins Fonte
    Zaba Obiang Kouyate Cresswell
    Antonio Hernandez Arnautovic

Adrian, Rice, Byram, Quina, Ayew, Carroll, Sakho

That's my eighteen. To be honest, I'm not 100% on Arnie coming back in because it doesn't send the best message, but I think we have a formation that works for us and Arnie is our best option at left forward.

Our midfield options looking very light at the moment. Really wish we'd gone all out for Carvalho ;weep
  • edited September 2017
    The only message we need to send is putting the eleven players on the pitch who have the best chance of coming away from the Hawthorns with a result.

Arnie's served his suspension, time for him to start repaying some of that transfer fee
  • I can see that point of view, but I can also see the point of view that nobody who helped us win the game the other night should be dropped for somebody who has done nothing this season except elbow somebody in the face.

IMO Arnie should have to earn a place back slowly.
  • Arnie looked good in the half hour before he was sent off, he was combining well with Antonio and Hernandez, had a couple of chances on goal and had been clattered a few times because the defence were struggling to deal with him.

He's only had three red cards in 313 appearances (plus one international) as a top flight first team regular in England, Germany and Holland with 64 international caps.

If he's doing well enough in training then he should start.
  • I agree ASLEF. I'd rather not handicap ourselves, if we can help it!
  • Back on the Lanzini discussion, which I missed. Lanzini was bought when 4-2-3-1 was the dominant formation and that is where he would excel. While wing backs are now the thing of the moment, I think there are still matches where 4-2-3-1 will work and that's where Lanzini comes in. Those games are also the ones you'd probably want to see Noble and Obiang as the two, games where we will have a lot of possession. However, we also need to be high on confidence to play that, imo. So this weekend I'd stick with the same formation with wing backs.
  • edited September 2017
    Hart
    Fonte Collins Reid (c)
    Zab Kouyate Obiang Cressers
    Antonio Hernandez Arnie

Arnie and Antonio are both good in the air (Arnie's 6'3"), they can knock down high balls for Hernandez

Lawro's predicted 1-1, worryingly he's been right on the result but not the score three out of four so far.
  • To be honest, I'd probably take 1-1 right now.

But a front three of Antonio, Hernandez and Arnie could sneak us a win. And with Carroll and Sakho on the bench we have decent forward options (finally).
  • So after all the gnashing of teeth about AC fitness we drop him after one good performance. ;hmm

• Lawro's predicted 1-1, worryingly he's been right on the result but not the score three out of four so far.

If he's out by one goal, then it won't be a draw.
  • IronHerb said:

So after all the gnashing of teeth about AC fitness we drop him after one good performance. ;hmm

For this one, yes. I think Evans and McAuley are better suited to containing someone like Carroll as opposed to trying to contain the movement of Hernandez and pace of Antonio and Arnie.

Just my opinion though, of course.
  • edited September 2017
    IronHerb said:

So after all the gnashing of teeth about AC fitness we drop him after one good performance. ;hmm

Sorry forgot, the 'made me laugh' was positive not sarcastic ;dog

Although i'd tend to agree with OCS that Evans and McAuley are much weaker against nippy attackers and appear to 'enjoy' the contest with Andy ...
  • IronHerb said:

IMO, the reason there is "gnashing of teeth" about his fitness isn't because people believe he should be in the starting XI every week, but rather that without him we lack options. Now that he is available, we have a few different tactical choices. Doesn't mean we go with the "AC Option" every time.
  • As well, it must be at least contributory towards his dismal injury record that we have historically needed him to play every minute he's available because of no alternatives.
  • I like the fact that we now have legitimate choices for different attacking combinations.

It makes it harder for other teams to prepare for us to think they could either be dealing with AC or Hernandez or both, a front 2 or a 3, direct and crosses into the box or a quick counter attack.
  • alderz said:

Doesn't mean we go with the "AC Option" every time.

My car has an AC Option, I only use it for about four months of the year!
  • that'll explain it then
  • alderz said:

Doesn't mean we go with the "AC Option" every time.

My car has an AC Option, I only use it for about four months of the year!
    Does your car keep breaking down as well.
  • ... and does the mechanic say it'll take a couple of weeks to fix, only for it subsequently to be out of service for several months ;hmm
  • edited September 2017
    Twitter talk is it's the same line-up as Monday.

Could be a contender for the final MOTD slot this one.
  • Think it will be the only FINAL that we will likely to be in. ;lol
  • edited September 2017
    Weird how exactly this time last year we also played WBA away for our 5th game. The classic 4-2.

Line-up was:

Adrian
    Nordtveit - Collins - Ogbonna - Masuaku
    Noble - Kouyate
    Antonio - Lanzini - Payet
    Zaza

Think today's line-up is vastly improved tbf.

Reckon Arne could come off the bench to be the match winner today.
  • edited September 2017
    Notice that Pulis is trying to slightly alter their side to make them more offensive.

Whenever he's done that before y's ended badly and he reverts to type. Interesting I see what he does today after last weeks defeat.

Back to default? 4 CB's, 3 DM's, two wingers and a target man? Play for corners.
  • Big Andy defending corners and chicarito playing as the striker during corners.

Wonder if Noble may come back in as the skipper.
  • Lukerz said:

Weird how exactly this time last year we also played WBA away for our 5th game. The classic 4-2.

Line-up was:

Adrian
    Nordtveit - Collins - Ogbonna - Masuaku
    Noble - Kouyate
    Antonio - Lanzini - Payet
    Zaza

Think today's line-up is vastly improved tbf.

Reckon Arne could come off the bench to be the match winner today.

You could easily say the same about West Brom's lineup.
  • Away win ;scarf
  • I hate playing Pulis and usually expect us to lose.

Please please prove me wrong West Ham ;pray
  • McHammer said:

Big Andy defending corners and chicarito playing as the striker during corners.

Wonder if Noble may come back in as the skipper.

Noble, Lanzini and Fernandes all out, Noble should be back for Bolton according to the website

https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2017/september/14-september/team-news-arnautovics-return-noble-lanzini-and-fernandes

• Unchanged then, with Arnie on the bench.

Not a fan of Hernandez out wide, myself ;hmm
This discussion has been closed.