The Managerial Merry-Go-Round 2017/18 - sackings etc at other clubs - Zidane going/gone

Comments

• Slaven to Watford? ;hmm
  • Good call, there’s worse out there
  • edited January 2018
    I don’t think Bilic should manage a team in the Premier League ever again, not good enough and simply not up to the job.
  • I think that is a strange sacking as early season he had them playing way above the sum of their parts and looked safe, they have hit a slump but the main issue is I don't see the managers available that would have their head turned by Watford, which means they could struggle and fall into a relegation fight that should never have happened. I think they will stay up but have just brought that into question more than it was yesterday in my opinion.

Slav may serve them well as although he has limitations I think his strength is in the short term and his arm around the shoulder style can help bring a team together. It would of course depend on what options they have but as Cuz has said, there are a lot worse out there. Although I will confess one I would have put into that category is currently saving palace and impressing greatly.
  • The owners have fingers in European club pies... so may well bring in a manager less well known over here.
  • Apparently gracia already in place to take over on two year contract
  • I don’t think Bilic should manage a team in the Premier League ever again, not good enough and simply not up to the job.

Was good enough for us finishing 7th in the league (4 points off a champions league spot) + 11th last season
  • Re Silva

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that Watford have gone on this bad run of form just after Everton tried to get him.

Whether it is Silva not having his heart in the job anymore or the players not playing as much for a manager who wanted to leave, there’s no point in keeping him if it’s not going to improve.

While the owners are obviously trigger happy, in this case, I think they may be right if there was little chance of things improving.

But yes, sacking someone after 6 months is a bit ridiculous!
  • I don’t think Bilic should manage a team in the Premier League ever again, not good enough and simply not up to the job.

Actually don't think Watford are good enough for Slav.
    I mean why bother when no manager lasts more than a season or so...
    A shoddy run club IMO and as a fan would not be happy to see a new manager so often ;ok
  • edited January 2018

I don’t think Bilic should manage a team in the Premier League ever again, not good enough and simply not up to the job.

Was good enough for us finishing 7th in the league (4 points off a champions league spot) + 11th last season
    Twist,
    I was never that happy with his appointment, I never think a good player makes a good manager, i’ll agree his first season was a good achievement, but I think that was more Payet and the way the team played around him than anything that Bilic did.
    Last season he looked to have no plan B after Payet departed and this season we looked even worse, in short the team were a mess. I know some thought he should be given more time but I think he had that last season,I was both relieved and pleased to see him shown the door.
    Moyes seems to be sorting us out and we are I hope heading in the right direction.
    We shall have to agree to differ on Bilic ;ok
  • Cuz1 said:

Apparently gracia already in place to take over on two year contract

They didn't hang about, did they.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42768739
  • edited January 2018
    Claret... “I never think a good player makes a good manager,”

what about Pep, Ancolotti, Zidane, Dalglish, Conte, Cruyff to name a few..
  • Vorse

I suspect there was an implied 'automatically'.
  • I hope Watford crumble. Silva worked wonders with that squad; the owners sack managers every time the cereal packet is empty; and then they refuse to let Silva talk to Everton. So their logic goes: "He was brilliant. We refused to let him go, so now we're sacking him." Very odd.
  • Christian gone at Leeds now, ready for monk return
  • Bradford sacked theirs now
  • Here's an unusual one: West Brom have sacked the Chairman and the Chief Executive!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43047113
  • Here's an unusual one: West Brom have sacked the Chairman and the Chief Executive!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43047113

If only...
  • That's novel ;hmm
  • See - it CAN be done ;pray
  • bbb

Well, it can where the owner isn't the Chairman...
  • West Brom is owned by Shanghai-based businessman Lai Guochuan
  • How safe is Pardew now?
  • Not surprised sackling Pulis and replacing him with Pardew was stupid.
  • bbb

Well, it can where the owner isn't the Chairman...

grey
    we need a 'tongue in cheek' emoji...
  • bbb

Winks and whistles work quite well.

My intention would have been clearer if I'd made it
    Well, it can where the owner isn't the Chairman... ;wink
    or
    Well, it can where the owner isn't the Chairman... ;whistle
    I hadn't thought your post was 'serious', and nor was my reply meant to be.
  • http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43274344

Birmingham have sacked their manager and are now looking to appoint....

wait for it...

their fifth manager in 16 months ;nonono

I think they also need a new appointments committee/procedure, because the one they have doesn't seem to be working.
  • Organise a march and sack the board ;ok
  • Birmingham sacked Gary Rowett when they were 6th in the league last season. Since then, they have played 67 games, won 14, drawn 15 and lost 38. Win % of 20.9%. They sacked him to bring in a 'name' and Zola had a win % of 8.3% (2 from 24 games).

Rowett on the other hand has a 44.7% win ratio with Derby County (21 from 47). Derby are 5th on 60 points. Birmingham are 22nd on 30 points.

Safe to say they got that one wrong.