The Managerial Merry-Go-Round 2017/18 - sackings etc at other clubs - Zidane going/gone

Comments

• edited March 2018

No, Luke, some people were definitely making the point that the owners were only going to appoint an available manager, because they are cheap.

Tbf that hasn’t been proven incorrect, has it?

They went for an available one.

They went for an available one because they are cheap? Well based on their hiring record (Grant, Sam, Bilic, Moyes = all available at no cost), I think that’s a reasonable thing to imply.
  • Lukerz

Nor has it been proven correct, but that isn't really the point, is it?
  • Some people on here looked upon Bilic as the one to take us to the next level with a playing style to match now he’s the cheap option how times change, here’s me happy with mid table and good cup run
  • edited March 2018
    Cuz1 said:

Some people on here looked upon Bilic as the one to take us to the next level with a playing style to match now he’s the cheap option how times change, here’s me happy with mid table and good cup run

Not every manager out of work is a cheap option. I thought Bilic was the right man but he lost a grip of everything, not helped from above, and came across exhausted. Sam was also ‘the right man’. Grant and, so far, Moyes, look like they were poor options.

Being available doesn’t mean you’re a bad manager, but it limits the pool of options if you do go for one out of work. For me, you look for the best man for the job. I understand that this season it was not going to be easy replacing Slav mid season. I get that. But it doesn’t change the fact that 3/4 of their managerial appts were made in the close season, and all were available. It also doesn’t change the fact they decided to keep Bilic on in the summer.

And I don’t get this points scoring approach to discussion. So what if someone said something different 4 months ago or 4 years ago. Opinion can change and so do circumstances.
  • Wasn’t a dig at anyone’s personal choice sir Alex had only done it at Aberdeen and if there fans had there he’d have been gone long before all his success, my point really is all the chop and change ie not sticking with managers when things are not going well you will end up with this type of stereotype manager because nobody in there right mind would want to come
  • Lukerz

I don't think anyone is point scoring, but I do think it is fair to look either for consistency, or for an acceptance that a pov has changed.

I don't think, in this example, that it is fair to charge our owners with being cheap because they appoint available managers, and then not do so to other clubs that do the same.

Otherwise it looks like special pleading.
  • Practically everybody hires a manager out of work, unless you’re a much better side than us.
  • Luke, I wasn't trying to dig you out by re-posting your old comment. Just trying to clarify what had been said on the subject because current 'how we remember it' might not always match up with what actually happened.

Of course opinions can change ;ok

But what has been said is there for all eternity. Well, until grey backs up the database and prunes the ancient discussions, that is.
  • It's being reported that Mark Hughes is going to get the Soton job which is quite a brave move to employ the manager sacked by the team two places below you and in the relegation places to help you avoid relegation.

My hope is that when we play them Arnie gets to wind him up for a second time by netting a couple before striding past him as a late substitute as he did against stoke.
  • And throwing his scarf at him. ;lol
  • Long as he doesn’t throw it at hart cus he’d drop it
  • Good luck with that Southampton ;lol
    Then again Hughes is a Championship manager at best....... ;lol ;lol
  • then his first win is beating us :)
  • then his first win is beating us :)

;nonono ;nonono
  • The same old men doing the same old rounds....

#boring #predictable
  • Hughes does ok with squads that he inherits, so I think Soton will avoid the drop (unfortunately.) His problem is that when he buys promising players, the team slowly gets worse. My mystic Meg prediction for Soton is Champo after 2 or3 years.
  • They only appointed him til the summer, so we'll see what happens
  • Never been relegated so maybe take two teams down in one season. ;biggrin
  • stats now show that moyes record is worse than under bilic

So do we stick or spin ??
  • But it'd Bilic's squd, not his own.
  • Fair point but our premier league status is on the line here
    And in the transfer window he signed a striker that never players a 36 year old full back and mario
  • Are we blaming Moyes for the transfers now then? I thought it was that he wasn’t backed by the board?
  • Its Thursday so its moyes fault ,tomorrow is Friday so its the boards ,and Saturday the players cause we lost again ,but this week no game so its the F.A for not giving us a game ;biggrin
  • The new managers job is to get the best out of existing players its not happening
  • Well I blame the year... 2016 was a much year than 2018...

I don't understand why we didn't stick with 2016.
  • Reading turf out Stam.

Presumably he failed to Stam his authority on the players...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42503110
  • Grey, is there a reaction for groan?
  • Bubbles

This one does nicely:

;yercoat