The Managerial Merry-Go-Round 2017/18 - sackings etc at other clubs - Zidane going/gone

Comments

• Grey,

What about where his teams have finished over the last three seasons prior to this?

Everton aren’t the first team to struggle after losing their star player and spending big in scattergun fashion.

Surely this season is Koeman’s outlier, rather than the three before. With Bilic, it seems a lot like his first season was the outlier.
  • It's about time we had a manager that divides opinion on this forum...
  • Jorderz

Everton are showing all the failings fans are moaning about us having, and Koeman has been sacked because there was no sign that he knew how to change that.

He has been criticised for the team not having a 'personality' or settled playing style or formation, and for playing square pegs in round holes, and for being stubborn in refusing to change things. His marque signings have failed to deliver, and he failed to land his key transfer target.That should sound pretty familiar to those who want Bilic gone, and if Koeman gets a pass because it was 'the board's fault', then so should Slav.
  • Luke, you are not comparing like with like, or taking into account context.
  • Well Lukerz you mentioned Silva and Wagner as good catches recently but not Koeman. ;hmm
  • Grey,

But Koeman has a better record of getting things right than Bilic does.

Even in Bilic’s very best season (the Payet season), Koeman still finished about Bilic.

He then followed up with two more top seven finishes, while Bilic looks ever more clueless and out of his depth.
  • Jorderz

I thought Everton were quite poor last year, and Lukaku was the big difference.

Not sure why you would think to appoint a manager who has been sacked for failing in exactly the same way as the manager you think should be sacked.

IF we need to get rid of Bilic, we need a manager who can turn us around. Koeman was sacked for not being able to turn his failing team around.

Why on earth would you think he can do for us what he couldn't do for his own team, with signings he agreed to or asked for?
  • I think Everton’s transfer window was poor, which presumably Koeman was a major part of, but his record with teams like us is excellent.

It’s gone wrong for him at Everton but there is enough in his record to suggest this season is the blip, whereas with Bilic its his first season which is the outlier. That’s why I think it would be a good move.

Also, Everton have played all the top teams and lost their star player, which takes time to adjust to. We’ve only played Spurs and Man United.
  • edited October 2017
    So if we accept (not even) Koeman can get points against them, bringing him in when we still have those teams to play seems a bit risky.

Also, I don't concure with your interpretation that 'there is enough in his record to suggest this season is the blip' because, as I posted earlier, there's also enough in his record to suggest this season is typical of the trend when he manages at a club more than a season.
  • I think we all know that our board don't like paying out money, so we can cross out anyone currently in a job. They won't pay the compensation even if it gets us the right man.

I think that is why Koeman looks like an attractive option, because he's free.
    Look at all the other managers who are not in a job, hardly an inspiring list is it?
  • So you have faith in Bilic to get points against the big teams? I don’t. I feel confident that home or away we’ll take several pastings against the big teams if we persist with Bilic ;whome

Quite, and therefore if whoever we appoint is going to polarise some fans we may as well get someone who at least will keep us in this league. Someone like..... ;whistle

Twist, can you help me out here...
  • Has Bilic really been given 2 matches to redeem himself though. Can't see much point in saying "we are not going to sack you today but will probably leave it until next week instead but if you can pull off 2 miracles this week we might let you hang on for a little while longer".
  • Twist
    I think we all know that our board don't like paying out money,
    No, we 'all' don't 'know' that.. The fact that you keep insisting on it, whilst ignoring evidence to the contrary, doesn't make it true.
  • I’m absolutely convinced we’ll lose the next two, anyway.
  • “when results go bad he doesn’t seem to know how to improve and lift players”

You could be forgiven for thinking someone is describing Bilic here. In fact this is what has been said of Koeman by Michael Ball who played under him for a while..

;hmm
  • I’m absolutely convinced we’ll lose the next two, anyway.

Last season there were precious few decent performances which accompanied by victories. However two of the best of them were home and away v Palace ;hmm
  • Koeman won't come to us, anyway. He thinks he's better than that.

End Of.

;wink

• edited October 2017

So you have faith in Bilic to get points against the big teams? I don’t. I feel confident that home or away we’ll take several pastings against the big teams if we persist with Bilic ;whome

Which might be a reason to sack Bilic, but is hardly a reason to appoint Koeman. ;whome
  • Ironically, I probably would have gone for Koeman post Southampton and I admit that I am surprised that he has failed to make a positive impression at Everton.

He was somewhat handicapped by a significant rise in expectation that following a significant transfer window where a lot of money chang3d hands, that they would be challenging for a top six spot

However, you cannot ignore the fact that the frailties exposed at Everton (mentioned in prior comments) appear very similar to our own and I see no justification for supposing that he would be able to turn us around.

Frying pan to fire springs to mind -

I have rather reluctantly come to the decision that Bilic does need to go, but our friend Koeman, IMO, is not the answer
  • After reading some other places really pleased no one on here has said they hope we lose against Spurs so that Bilic gets sacked...

;fishslap
  • Three favourites for the Everton job:

Dyche
    Allardyce
    Unsworth

Jeez
  • That's bookies for you.

• Dyche is flavour of the month.

Allardyce is always mentioned even though he has said on numerous occasions that he's not interested.

Unsworth did cover previously
  • Lukerz said:

Three favourites for the Everton job:

Dyche
    Allardyce
    Unsworth

Jeez

;lol
  • Its

So you have faith in Bilic to get points against the big teams? I don’t. I feel confident that home or away we’ll take several pastings against the big teams if we persist with Bilic ;whome

I dont even have faith Bilic will get too many points against the small teams, let alone the big ones!

Maybe we need a coach who places a decent amount of emphasis on actually having a high level of fitness (and pressing in a game), especially seeing how low we are ranked in terms of yards covered etc

I doubt Koeman will come to us anyway but I would be in the camp that he's a better option and manager than what we currently have.

However, I still would like to see Marcelo Biesla at West Ham.

His signature formation of 3–3–3–1 would be very interesting in the Prem and his eccentric ways would certainly cause a bit of divided opinion ;wahoo
  • In watching what has happened at Everton this season and Leicester last season and to a degree ourselves I am beginning to question the old adage of one player does not make a team.

Everton sold Lukaku and look a shadow of the team they were and it's arguable he has kept them away from relegation scraps for the last few years, As for Leicester Kante's leaving seemed to have a massive effect whilst bringing what Chelsea needed to be dominant last season, whilst we have struggled since Payet left and Tottenham did have a decidedly difficult phase when Bale first left.

Although both Barca and Real obviously have strength in depth they do both have the talisman player in Ronaldo and Messi. It will be interesting to see if PSG can move into the next level with regards Champions league success which is obviously the idea behind investing so much in Neymar.

Quite, and therefore if whoever we appoint is going to polarise some fans we may as well get someone who at least will keep us in this league. Someone like..... ;whistle

Twist, can you help me out here...
    Nope, don't have a clue....
  • The Mirror seems certain we are after Mancini. But. You know. The Mirror.