Summer 2017 Transfer: The final countdown and the fallout

Comments

• Resigned to not signing anyone today.

Except maybe Wilshere as a last minute punt.

Leaves us very light on the wings and up front, which makes me feel sad.
  • A Brighton fan writes....
    Ask what Brighton’s three main priorities for this transfer window were, and the answer would be a striker, a striker, a striker.

Put simply, there aren't enough goals in them to keep us up. We haven't scored a league goal this season. And that is before the nightmare scenario which has predictably happened of Sam Baldock and Glenn Murray both being injured, leaving Tomer Hemed as our only fit striker.
  • same boat as us with regards to strikers then
  • Farcical situation we find ourselves in. Nearly everyone here said we needed 2 CF, as we couldn't afford to rely on Sakho or AC being fit and willing to play. So, what happens? We bring in Hernandez, and that's it. Sakho supposedly was over his back problems after his op, but what about his head problems?

Ridiculously no-one at the club managed to discover at any stage over the summer that Sakho was unhappy enough here to do an Odemwingie, so even if we don't give in to his demands for a move at this late stage, we're still down a CF as there's little chance we'll get any football out of him given his previous behaviour and his latest stunt.

So effectively we're down to Hernandez, Carroll (who isn't fit and even when he comes back from this injury we know the next one is just round the corner), and Martinez who hasn't even made the bench for a league game this season. I know we only start with 1 up front, but most games the 1 works so hard that he gets subbed so in most games at least 2 CF get game time, and we've only got one fit, senior striker.

It's all well and good the club coming out and saying Sakho is an integral part of our plans, if he doesn't want to play, then he won't. It beggars belief that our club is so stupid to find ourselves in this situation. He tried to get a move away last summer, it didn't happen, and we hardly got a game out of him all season. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. DS should be feeling pretty damn ashamed of himself. Absolutely ridiculous
  • buffybegood

Unless DS is like this... ;lol

• Other clubs might have fans that feel the same as us. However we moved to the os to apparently move to the next level.
  • edited August 2017
    Maybe we should rename this thread 'The Final Meltdown'.

Ex has said that there'll be no business tonight. Suggests that players were offered to West Ham but Slav didn't want any of them. Carvalho was the one he wanted but the club wouldn't meet Sporting's valuation.

Not sure what happened to one out, one in policy. Since Slav said that we've seen Feghouli and Snodgrass shipped out and we haven't replaced either ;hmm
  • maybe they have accepted relegation ;hmm
  • I believe the board put in big bids on players making sure they don't quite meet the club's valuation. This way fans thing we have tried with a big transfer but in reality they had no intention of signing them. That's my theory.
  • Everton sign Vlasic, so more chance of Mirallas going out on loan I guess, although whether he ends up here is another matter.
  • I wonder what other business Karen Brady and David Gold were attending to in a different part of the country on deadline day...
  • Definitely not transfer business.
  • Sakho joins palace. Llorente joins spurs. ;weep
  • I wonder what other business Karen Brady and David Gold were attending to in a different part of the country on deadline day...

They aren't involved in transfers, so probably attending to business other than transfers. Or personal business.
  • Do you think Mahrez is still at Paris airport, or has he given up and gone home? ;lol
  • So why my did feggy and snoders leave?
  • William Carvalho playing for Portugal tonight. I thought he was 4-6 weeks away from being fit... ;hmm
  • That was just a made up excuse to justify not paying the money. Unless of course you don't need to be fit to play international football.
  • Now he's just scored.
  • Well this day has just gone about as bad as possible
  • Hang on, thorn - who said it was 4-6 weeks before he'd be fit? The club?

There was a mention on here by a poster, but elsewhere I read he was not injured. When I asked if anyone had a link/source to the 4-6 wk story, nobody came up with anything.

Are you sure you (or AN Other) aren't just making things up?
  • I've been saying for ages to get rid of Sakho, never mind the fact he's injured more than Carroll, his head has not been with the club for a long time IMO. If someone, particularly in a foreign league is willing to pay circa £9m for him when his contract ends after this season - bite their hand off. Ideally scramble to grab someone else in on loan, but even if we can't - get shut. I really believe even if we force him to stay he will put on a massive huff, put in half effort performances, mysteriously be injured, or just not turn up. Please take the money! And if it gives us the extra £5m needed to bring in Carvalho, all the better.
  • We are just 3 big injuries away from being in the relegation mire. I know I'm being negative but the people running the club drive me to despair.
  • re 'paying the money' for Carvalho.

His club asked £35.

West Ham offered £35m.

How is that being 'cheap'?

Sporting Lisbon subsequently upped the price. Whether or not WH was right or wrong to refuse to be messed around is a matter for debate.

But don't ignore the fact that they went straight in with an offer to match the asking price.

#revisionisthistory
  • edited August 2017
    You could argue we're already in the relegation mire.

But yeah, if we were to lose Hernandez to injury who do we play up front? I'm not convinced Ayew's a striker. In fact, based on this season so far, I'm not even convinced he's a footballer.

If we play Antonio there, who plays right wing? Same with Arnie on the left. We have left ourselves very short in terms of numbers and I do feel like we've been short changed by the people in charge.
  • edited August 2017
    The meeting has now happened

Screenshot_2017-08-31-21-10-46
  • I think the board and Slav were too impressed with their early work getting in the players they wanted

It meant there wasn't enough urgency in other deals and we put all our eggs in the carvalho basket (why do we do this every year)

The squad is low in confidence and low in numbers
  • Let's face it with the complete shambles that has been the start of our season and players like Sakho and Snodgrass making so much noise about not wanting to be at the club.
    Surely Carvalho would never have come to West Ham.
    It is difficult to see how things can be improved now.
    I hope those in charge have some sort of plan has anyone any ideas?