West Ham vs Huddersfield 11.09.17 Match Thread

Comments

• So no club has survived relegation with 0 points after 4 games. Bournemouth and Palace 0 points after 4. If West Ham lose Monday relegation spots all but confirmed?????
  • Erm, no. I'll wait to see how the other 34 games play out personally.
  • Bilic really does need to play 3 at the back as many have suggested. I really think it suits our players, allows us to attack, and makes us less exposed.

We really must win.
  • ;hmm I heard yesterday that 8 teams have lost there first 4 games in the prem and 4 survived if that's true it means we have a 50% chance of staying up
  • No. Sadly, that's not how statistics work. They don't predict the future.
  • edited September 2017
    Attacking line-up?

So

Hart
    Zabaleta - Collins - Reid - Masuaku
    Antonio - Noble - Kouyate - Ayew
    Chicharito - Carroll

Have a feeling Carroll will be a surprise starter.

To be honest, I feel it's the best way to approach the game and deal with the pressure. We don't need nervyness. We need all guns blazing. Get the crowd excited, not subdued. If they score 3, let's get 4. We have shown we can't defend. So why not go for it.

If we lose he'll be sacked anyway. But an attacking win and confidence will be on the up.

Have a feeling we'll do it. 3-0.

coyi
  • Big man, little man. Goals for fun. ;wahoo
  • @Yeoldhammer and steve : In the 1985/86 season WHU won only one of their opening four fixtures (lost to Birmingham, Luton and MANU and won against QPR) and went on to finish 3rd in the old first Division. So could a win against Huddersfield change everything. Mind you the 1985/86 team had players like Phil Parkes, Ray Stewart, Tony Gale, Alvin Martin, Alan Devonshire, Mark Ward, Frank McAvennie and Tony Cottee. Billy Bonds was out for the whole season due to injury but no doubt was motivating everyone. How many of the current players are as good as that team?

On a brighter note, we are currently only 7 points away from a European football spot and it could be down to only 4 on Monday night!!
  • Surely any contacts leaking that we are going to go all out attack is counter productive/dangerous to our sucess.
  • I think we will see a change tomorrow as I think the results prior to the break left no one in any doubt that this game was a case of now or never. If there was a game you would fancy at this point it would be a home game under the lights against the newly promoted via play offs team.

We need go out positive and play as though we have just won our first three matches as we do have the players to hurt Huddersfield.

My prediction is that Antonio will come to life tomorrow and breath life into our season and we will leave the pitch looking forwards again.
  • Ex says:

"There are some significant and big changes to the system and players tonight. One last throw or the dice from Slaven it seems.....⚒⚒"

;hmm
  • That's not a bad thing. It's pretty obvious to most that things couldn't carry on as is.
  • So no club has survived relegation with 0 points after 4 games. Bournemouth and Palace 0 points after 4. If West Ham lose Monday relegation spots all but confirmed?????

Not true.

• We haven't lost 4 games though. ;hmm
  • Hence yeold's saying 'if west ham lose on Monday'.... ;biggrin
  • Home win ;wahoo
  • I think we will see a change tomorrow as I think the results prior to the break left no one in any doubt that this game was a case of now or never. If there was a game you would fancy at this point it would be a home game under the lights against the newly promoted via play offs team.

We need go out positive and play as though we have just won our first three matches as we do have the players to hurt Huddersfield.

My prediction is that Antonio will come to life tomorrow and breath life into our season and we will leave the pitch looking forwards again.

Slav said in his Standard column they were discussing a change of system so I think we'll def see this happen
  • Hopefully 3 at the back or 4-4-2 with Sakho and Hernandez up top as a pair, not one of em on the wing

Hart
    Reid Collins Ogbonna
    Antonio Obiang Kouyate Cresswell
    Lanzini
    Sakho Chicarito
  • Lanzini's out injured.
  • With only two fit attacking midfielders/wingers I'd be surprised if we weren't changing tactics.

Hart
    Zab Reid Oggy Cress

with either

Noble Obiang Kouyate
    Antonio Hernandez Ayew

or

Antonio Noble Kouyate Ayew
    Carroll Hernandez
  • I'd have Holand or Habthingymebob in before Ayew.

Interested to see whether Sakho is engaged and in the squad or sulking
  • Articles on Sky Sports with quotes from mslav saying that he is willing to give Sakho a chance (not specifically in reagrds to this game albeit) saying that he's focused and ready to so he may be available

No Lanzini is a bummer thought he'd be fit

Don't want Ayew in the team like McHammer says although I'd actually quite like to see Masuaka there he is good going forward and should have the instincts to help out Cresswell defensively

Also would be nice to have a bit of pace on the wings
  • McHammer - I'd rather see Ayew playing for some other team but he was our record signing until Arnie and I expect he'll be in the starting XI
  • It is so important that we play with purpose and intensity, against Newcastle we had over 60% possession and I think we all know how that turned out.

We have the players to get ourselves out of this malaise but I think we desperately need to get the first goal and close them out.

Under lights, the pressure clear to see, expectations high, I think it is going to be a slightly nervy but ultimately exciting night in east London this evening.

COYI
  • Given performances and that his job is on the line I hope Slaven picks on form/ability (even if it is for the U23s) rather than pricetag coming into it.
  • I have Chicarito as Captain in my dream team tonight. So I would like a 6-0 West Ham win.
    How is that for positivity!!!!

I wouldn't mind a scrappy 1-0 though in all seriousness as a defeat will really stir things up!!

We must take the game to them and I would prefer Andy to start (take him off later) instead of coming on if things go wrong. If we start slowly I see Huddersfield getting the win.

• I'll take the 6-0 - it will take us out if the bottom three??..
  • edited September 2017
    Thinking it could be this tonight:

Hart
    Zabaleta - Reid - Collins
    Antonio - Noble - Obiang - Kouyate - Masuaku
    Sakho - Carroll
  • I have never been more confident of a West Ham win.

Well, not since our last match.
  • Carroll starts according to twitter rumours.
This discussion has been closed.