West Ham vs Huddersfield 11.09.17 Match Thread

Comments

• mrsGrey , Whats Ayew's position ? Rice , Fernandez ? i didnt think he was a winger .
  • In the past Ayew has played in every outfield position apart from centre back, defensive midfielder or right back (in 2015 he played left back for Marseille against Lorient) but in the last three seasons he's mostly played on the left wing, right wing, attacking midfielder or striker which is where he's been played this season and the last.

Fernandes has also played a variety of positions, mostly attacking midfielder, central midfield or right wing.

Rice is a centre back.

So that's one player whose played four games out of position, one player who played half a game out of position and everyone else in positions they're used to.

PS its Fernandes with an S not a Z, a Portuguese surname not Spanish.
  • edited August 2017
    So although Rice was playing out of position in the first 3 games no one thought to mention it until he makes a mistake and then it's all down to playing out of position?
  • I don't think it's that uncommon for youth team players to get a new position when promoted, so I don't think he is playing out of position. When you graduate to the full team it's a different game, that's where you find your position. If anything, you'd assume he was being played there to protect him from being exposed as a newbie CB.
  • Totally disagree Outcast. If he's being played out of position because he wouldn't hack it in his 'proper' position then he shouldn't be playing at all.
  • edited August 2017
    IronHerb said:

Totally disagree Outcast. If he's being played out of position because he wouldn't hack it in his 'proper' position then he shouldn't be playing at all.

Or he's been playing in a position that more suits his attributes in the pro game than at a youth level? Like Oxford being played there. Not so different to Eric Dier either.

It's annoying when a player is played in positions that are obviously unnatural to them and unsuited to their game but I don't think a player being used in several positions is inherently a bad thing. I think Rice as a DM has a natural link.
  • I am pretty patient but i am done with Fonte and Ayew as starting players.

I think Zab has shown enough to keep his place.

• Possibly no Sakho if reports are to believed that he's off to Rennes

Really hope that we manage to pull off one or 2 moves before deadline day

Hart
    Zabaleta Reid Ogbonna Cresswell
    Obiang Kouyate
    Antonio Ayew Lanzini
    Hernandez

Sub: Adrian, Byram, collins, Fonte, Noble, Fernandes, Martinez

Possibly looking at that for this game....not many game changers on the bench
  • Loads of talk about protests against the board for this one.

I agree Ham, I think it will be toxic. If social media is anywhere near representative of the fan base, half of them want Bilic gone, more still want the board gone and it seems the fans are arguing amongst themselves. Carry that onto the terraces and it could be a very poisonous atmosphere.
  • Social media is representative of a small percentage of the fans that attend games there are loads armchair warriors venting at the min . The atmosphere will be decided by the football on the pitch . Look at arsenal supposedly mass unrest but the best you get at games is a few banners . ;lol
  • It will be interesting to say the least what the atmosphere will be like. I just hope we score early, get behind the team and win convincingly. I want Bilic to succeed.

We lose or draw this, and I think Bilic will be gone. I wouldn't be surprised if Rafa is already being lined up by the board.
  • Other than Arnautovic, looks like Slav is going to have everybody available for this game. If we play as badly as we have in 2.5 out of the 3 games so far, I imagine he'll be gone unless it results in a win.
  • First home game coming up and people are talking about a toxic atmosphere, West Ham fans are better than that.
  • Lukerz said:

Other than Arnautovic, looks like Slav is going to have everybody available for this game. If we play as badly as we have in 2.5 out of the 3 games so far, I imagine he'll be gone unless it results in a win.

Lanzini is injured, no? ;hmm I'd be surprised if he was involved so that's two of our best attackers out.

First goal is key. If we get it, we have a chance. If Huddersfield do, I fear we'll implode.
  • A protest against the board would be a total and utter embarrassment. Anybody involved in that should be ashamed and go and support Spurs instead.
  • Anybody involved in that should be ashamed and go and support Spurs instead.

I see comments like this quite a few times on social media. And I don't really get it, to be honest.

Is there a particular way that a club has to be supported? Are West Ham fans who are not happy with what the West Ham board are doing not allowed to voice their opinion?

I consider myself a supporter of West Ham, the club. Not every chairman or manager is going to get my support if I don't agree with what they do or say. Macari is considered a swear word in some West Ham circles, same with Terry Brown. They didn't get everyone's support but it didn't make those people any less of a fan of the club.
  • OCS,

Fair enough, if that's how you feel then fine ;ok

I feel like as a supporter of West Ham you should do the best thing for West Ham. If you think creating a toxic atmosphere at games we desperately need to win is doing the best for West Ham, we'll have to disagree.

Not to mention the owners might not be perfect, but they've done a lot of good stuff, and there are many, many worse ways to run a club.
  • OCS

For me, there's a difference between not being happy with the board/manager, and disrupting games with banners and choreographed displays of dissatisfaction which, imo, serve more to fuel the egos and soshallow media hits of those involved than to actually achieve anything purposeful.

It seems to me that the only effective protest is to not go.

For me, if you go to a game, you go to get behind the team and try to spur them on to do well.

Going to barrack the manager/board/players seems to me entirely pointless.

Surely the key word is 'support'?

• Jorderz, Grey ;ok

I see both sides of the arguments and for me, there's validity to both.

My point is more about the 'go and support someone else' attitude, because that suggests there is a right and wrong way to 'support' a club, when it really comes down to an individuals perception of support.
  • edited September 2017

OCS,

If you think creating a toxic atmosphere at games we desperately need to win is doing the best for West Ham, we'll have to disagree.

And just for the record, I don't think creating a toxic atmosphere is doing the best for West Ham. I would like nothing more than 55,000 West Ham fans coming together and cheering the side on.

I just don't think they will, particularly if we concede first.
  • It comes down to the team

If they show no fight and let in a goal against Huddersfield then it's going to be toxic

If we score the boo boys will shut up and unite
  • I watched the second half of the Malta game, apart from goal kicks when Hart had the ball he either threw it out or passed short, with us he hoofs it up the pitch and gives away possession.
  • edited September 2017
    I've seen numerous comments on social media that supposed fans want us to lose so that Slav is sacked, incredible really, quite frankly they can go

And if I see another incorrect comment from fans about 4m net spend over 2,3 or 4 years thanks to those baffoons Gale and Merson I think I'm going to explode!!!

;angry
  • You just know Merse was the kind of kid who copied his homework from some other kid, 'cos whoever it was he copied from had to be cleverer than him...
  • Gayley helping Merse prepare his stats:

• Grey that whole scenario from both of them has done my head in, it's so reckless
  • Slizzy

Use it as a simple test:

Anyone who takes it at face value clearly knows nothing about the club, and if they claim to be fans then they aren't so much armchair, as 'on a stool in the shed at the bottom of the garden' fans.
  • edited September 2017

And if I see another incorrect comment ... I think I'm going to explode!!!

Welcome to my world.

;weep
  • edited September 2017
    G man it's ignorance of the highest order, my twitter and Facebook feeds have been full of it, I've tried to correct some but then you get labeled a "Boardette" unless you take the time to place a disclaimer

;lol

Just for the fun of it I'm going to do this

A) Tony Gale is a twonk

B) Merson is a twonk

C) they're both Twonks
This discussion has been closed.