Newcastle v West Ham Match Thread - Saturday 26th August - 15:00

12345679»

Comments

• And now the bright news, we are 3 points behind the gooners and 4 behind the spuds #almost champions league.. nurse
  • That was about as poor as it gets, especially when you look at the line ups on paper.

No idea why he didn't start obiang and taking Rice off could be another Oxford moment. Let's hope he handled it well and that it was purely based on us having to chase the game

He's making some baffling decisions for sure but I still back him and want him to turn this around, for me I hope they don't go all knee jerk after 3 games (yes I know it's been longer than that)

Mark Nobles post match comment about "we know we're going to lose games" is part of the problem for me, it's in our DNA, we don't have the winning mentality some of the time.

Thought Hart came out of it pretty much unscathed at the weekend, probably kept the score down, but he was the only one, Hernandez was lucky to stay on the pitch as well.

Let's get back to basics, hard work, organization and a system we truly believe in and stick with it, not all these continual changes.
  • Noble saying Rice will learn from his mistake ! The way I saw it he slipped then bust a gut trying to recover the situation - Think most of the others could learn from that.
  • We didn't lose because of rice's error. Our defence would have capitulated at some point or other, it was a matter of when not if
  • Rice was given the ball when he had a player on him and when he tried to find a pass there were none on and he got tackled . Maybe he could have put his foot through it but the lack of options was half the problem
  • PLF - when Oggy passed the ball Ritchie was a few yards off Rice, Rice had a quick look upfield to see what was on but stumbled just before the ball reached him and never really got his footing back. Collins and Noble were open, Perez was blocking a pass back to Oggy.
  • Must of missed it I could only bring myself to watch it once ;weep
  • tbh, the stumble alone did him really, but there weren't great options available. Collins would have been a risky pass with where Joselu was, and the pass to Noble would have to have been very firmly struck baring in mind the Newcastle players just off screen (that come surging forward as Rice is pressed), that Rice was obviously aware of.

Also, Atsu isn't even in shot originally; at one point, you can see at least 10 yards of clear space in front of Noble. Unfortunately, Zaba is still hugging the touchline rather than tucking back in as play is switched over to Rice. He is thus out of postion and too slow to catch Atsu, and Noble just jogs back while Atsu makes the telling run past him to break through the defence.

If you can bear to watch again

https://highlightsfootball.com/video/newcastle-united-vs-west-ham-united-highlights-full-match/

So yes, once again an individual error does for us, but again, if other players were better then that mistake might have been recoverable. All teams have players that make mistakes, but I'm sure I saw a league recently of mistakes leading to goals over a certain period of time and we're either top or second. Here, if Zaba or Noble had been better positioned/reacted better/been quick enough to track Atsu's run, it might still have been 0-0 at half time.
  • Mitrovic charged with Violent conduct for the Lanzini elbow
  • Do you have a time machine or is this team for the Huddersfield match ;lol
  • McHammer said:

Mitrovic charged with Violent conduct for the Lanzini elbow

Just checked. He actually gt a 3 game ban for this.
  • And he claims it wasn't even a foul!!
  • Don't do us any good though.
  • And he claims it wasn't even a foul!!

Who claims? Mitrovic accepted the charge?
  • He accepted the charge so he didn't get a lengthier ban but still claims it wasn't a foul.
  • Headline reads: -
    Aleksandar Mitrovic says elbow on Manuel Lanzini 'was not even a foul'

In the text he says: -
    It wasn’t even a foul in the game.

So as the ref didn't blow for a foul, as he didn't see it, so Mitrovic feels it wasn't a foul.

If he really felt hard done by he should have appealed as you rarely get a lengthier ban unless the appeal is seen as frivolous.
  • edited September 2017
    Toon fans: They're picking on us. ;doh
This discussion has been closed.