Newcastle v West Ham Match Thread - Saturday 26th August - 15:00

Comments

• ;hmm seems like most of us then,.................. ;sofa
  • Adam said:

Who were we playing in those 10 games, ASLEF?

Stoke H 0-0
    Swansea A 0-0
    Villa A 1-1
    Saints H 2-1
    Liverpool H 2-0
    Bournemouth A 3-1
    Newcastle A 1-2
    Norwich A 2-2
    Sunderland H 1-0
    Spurs H 1-0 (with Kouyate in a back 3)

Only 5 clean sheets which proves I can't count, that's why I became a train driver and didn't go work in the ticket office (lucky escape as they're all closed).
  • Not 100% on the condition of the players but I would like to see:-

------------------------HART-------------------------
    ----ZABALETA-----COLLINS-----OGBONNA---CRESSWELL---
    ------------KOUYATE----RICE-----NOBLE ---------------
    ------AYEW-------------------------------ANTONIO----
    ------------------------HERNANDEZ--------------------

• I think Obiang should play ahead of Rice, and hopefully Lanzini is fit to replace Ayew. Agree with the defence.
  • I would like to see Kouyate / Obiang / Noble play together.

Have they ever?? I think due to injuries / form they have never started a game a three??
  • Jorderz, fair enough ;thumbsup , I just feel Obiang isnt quite there yet after his injury and needs to be eased back a bit to get back into form, he has been a touch off pace so far. Also Rice will add more for set pieces(which could be decisive) and a natural shield to the back 4 which would free up Noble and Kouyate a bit more. Anway, big fan of Obiang though ;bowdown ;bowdown ;bowdown
  • Twc ;thumbsup

You might be right about Obiang, but hopefully he can get back to last season's form ASAP.
  • Kouyate looked less sharp than Obiang to me on Wednesday
  • McHammer, id agree but that was kouyates first appearance since the start of pre-season so you can understand him not either being at 100% or given the situation of the game, playing completely within himself. 2ndly Obiang is alot more refined and technical than Kouyate so if he is abit off or struggling it is more noticeable where Kouyate is very raw, powerful and a bit unpredictable anyway so he can probably get away with it more.
  • If he goes with the usual 4 2 3 1 the only debate seems to be the 2 central midfielders.
    I would go
    Hart
    Zabaleta Collins Ogbonna Cresswell
    Obiang Kouyate
    Antonio Lanzini Ayew
    Hernandez

But if he goes with the diamond as in midweek then -
    Rice
    Kouyate Obiang
    Lanzini
    Antonio Hernandez
  • Please please win this ;pray
  • edited August 2017
    Midfield is very weak today.

Rice, Noble and Fernandes.
  • Yes, Obiang should be in there.
  • Newcastle have an extremely average team. It's a Championship team.

I fear, however, West Ham will continue their run of being very generous when the opposition needs it most ;weep
  • edited August 2017
    It was said when we got thumped by Man Utd that we wouldn't be facing sides like that every week. Equally we won't be facing sides like Newcastle every week either so we had better not capitulate like we have in each league game thus far
  • Apart from Fernandes starting ahead of Obiang or Kouyate the team looks pretty good

Hope we can finally get some points on the board
  • Bench has some good options
  • I'm feeling good. Think we'll get a good result today; Antonio and Hernandez will be too much for them. Bench looks excellent. ;pray ;thumbsup
  • So pleased Ginge and Rice have kept their places, it's well deserved.

coyi
  • Antonio looks up for it
  • Not that great a start from us, struggling to get any sort of rythum together
  • Chicarito borrowing Arnie's brains for this game.

Very frustrating start; another game where we are unable to transition form defence to attack, whilst allowing Newcastle plenty of chances to do so...
  • edited August 2017
    So Zabaleta goes off to get a blood injury (cut above his eye) dealt with and we have to defend a corner without one of our defenders. How can that be right?
  • Ayew down. Not looking good.
  • Don't really understand what's happened to him but he's been down for a while

Possibly Lanzini to come on....maybe it's a bit too soon for him
  • MIAHammer said:

Ayew down. Not looking good.

At least it appears to be a facial problem - less likely to be a lengthy layoff than if he'd done a knee or ankle or something.
  • Ayew is back up which is good but I would still like to see Lanzini in that position, thus far he has failed to impress me once again
This discussion has been closed.