Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IF YOU CAN'T SIGN IN, CLEAR COOKIES FROM YOUR BROWSER CACHE

If you aren't sure how to do that, see this thread: whu606.com/discussion/7162/why-am-i-having-trouble-signing-in

If you still can't log in, email whu***@gmail.com (where *** is replaced by numbers I am sure you can work out.) giving the name of the browser and whether you are on PC or mobile device.
Categories +
Table +
PhysioRoom +

Neymar going to PSG. Probably.

This discussion was created from comments split from: Summer 2017 Transfer Speculation (continued).

Comments

• This Neymar thing has taken a turn for the even more bizarre.

When his representatives attempted to deposit the necessary buy-out fee with the governing body, as is the norm (La Liga then pass it on to the selling club, rather than the money being given to the club directly), La Liga refused to accept it ;nonono

Apparently in breach of any powers they might have, and effectively simply blocking the transfer, despite the terms of the existing contract between Neymar and Barcelona.
  • As repulsive as it is, I'm not sure why La Liga has taken it upon itself to arbitrate FFP.
    MrsGreyalderz
  • Because la liga know that Neymar is one of the top players in the world and could arguably have the biggest "brand" outside of Ronaldo/Messi (of not more let's be honest he's a social media darling)

This move helps the French league and disadvantages the Spanish league

Add to the fact it's highly irregular deal and a unbelievable amount of money they at least have a right to complain especially if the money is being circumvented from somewhere not PSG
  • As repulsive as it is, I'm not sure why La Liga has taken it upon itself to arbitrate FFP.

Each football association can have their own rules when it comes to FFP. It's not just UEFA.

Although this situation is quite funny to me.
  • Adam said:

Each football association can have their own rules when it comes to FFP. It's not just UEFA.

Yes, although I;m not sure la liga have. ;hmm

And they specifically cited 'possible breach of UEFAs rules' as a reason for not accepting the money.
  • Because la liga know that Neymar is one of the top players in the world and could arguably have the biggest "brand" outside of Ronaldo/Messi (of not more let's be honest he's a social media darling)

This move helps the French league and disadvantages the Spanish league

Add to the fact it's highly irregular deal and a unbelievable amount of money they at least have a right to complain especially if the money is being circumvented from somewhere not PSG

They're doing it because they're powerless to stop their league losing one of the best players in the world to the French league, agreed. That doesn't make it okay.

It isn't up to La Liga to decide what contravenes FFP, IMO.

It's taking the law into their own hands, so to speak, out of pettiness at their inability to hold onto Neymar. If PSG are breaching FFP, they should leave it to UEFA to sort out.
    MrsGreyalderz
  • Adam said:

As repulsive as it is, I'm not sure why La Liga has taken it upon itself to arbitrate FFP.

Although this situation is quite funny to me.
    Whether La Liga have their own rules or not is irrelevant, IMO, as if I'm understanding correct the breach they are citing as the reason they have refused the money relates to the UEFA FFP.

La Liga shouldn't be involving themselves in this. Why do they allow these astronomical release clauses at all if they aren't going to allow them to be met?
    alderz
  • I don't think UEFA will look at it until the deal is complete. It is up to each club to ensure they comply with FFP; as far as I am aware selling clubs are not in a position to challenge receiving clubs about whether FFP rules have been broken.
    MrsGreyalderz
  • If la liga is unwilling to accept the deposit, I'm more than willing to offer up my bank account
    MrsGreyjay_in_cptPrestonHammerMunichHammerKuchinghammer
  • FFP will not be able to be assessed until PSG release their accounts for this year 2017/18 in poss 18 months - 2 years down the line, as nobody will be able to reconcile till then whether they have made an 'illegal' loss or not.
    Waste of time imo - this will go through.
    alderz
  • ;ok

Also, the assessment of debt and whether the limits have been exceeded is calculated over a 3-yr period, not one season. La Liga have no way of judging that at this point, so can't really block the move.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-40814333?intlink_from_url=&link_location=live-reporting-story
  • edited August 2017
    Could this La Liga chat possibly be moved to a separate thread? I keep seeing new posts and think we've signed someone ;weep

;ok
    yoyoAdam
  • edited August 2017
    OCS, the thread is being (has always been) used for discussing non-WHU transfers as well. ;ok

I had originally thought to have separate threads for WH and non-WH transfers, but in practice it might be difficult to make it work. Since so many potential transfers are linked to what other clubs are doing. #dominoeffect

Although, WH are probably out of the Neymar-PSG-Barcelona loop. ;lol (Edit - so I've split these off from the other thread, which will still be used for transfers generally.)

Oh, and if we sign anybody, it will have its own thread ;transfers done', so you can relax ;hug

PS. We aren't signing anybody else until the end of the window. ;biggrin
  • Wasn't the President of La Liga recently arrested on possible corruption charges?

Pots and kettles anyone? ;doh
  • EUFA should ban all Spanish clubs (except Barcelona) from all competitions until this is resolved.
  • It's done now. They paid the buy out money direct to Barca.
  • If la liga is unwilling to accept the deposit, I'm more than willing to offer up my bank account

Let me put you in touch with my Nigerian Prince friend.
    Kuchinghammer
  • Neymar says he didn't move for the money.

Of course not. And he didn't delay his transfer so that his father could collect his commission ;doh

http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/40827104
  • MIA

I don't think he did move for the money, personally. I think he moved because he wants to be the best player in the world and as part of that he wants to be the world record transfer, wages, etc, without going to China
  • So first he needs to be the best player at his club. ;biggrin
  • I think he didn't want to be in Messi shadow anymore.

The great Crufty questioned the signing when he went to Barca, saying you don't want two captains on a ship...

After the PSG comeback when he was superb the front pages were full of Messi...

I don't think Money was the driver.
    alderz
  • http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40873031

Spanish FA still holding it up. It seems very, very wrong that they can be that petulant and cause such a hold up. IMO they should have to pay Neymar's wages if they hold things up.
    MrsGreyJorderz_Moyes_will_be_Moyesgrey_til_I_dye
  • Whilst I concur with you alderz that the jurisdiction over the financial fair play rules should be instigated and investigated by UEFA themselves and not a specific club or league taking things into their own hands, I understand how the Spanish league doesn't trust them (UEFA) to do so in a legitimate and competent manner. I certainly feel that certain clubs seem to at the very least bend the rules regarding FFP and UEFA and get away with it. I believe a team like Barce/the Spanish league know this first hand but it's generally been for their benefit, where as now it is being used against them so they are calling foul. Of course it still does not give them the right to go against the rules, but I understand their motive to do so.
  • But surely the worst offender of all is Real Madrid.
  • If the transfer window was to close right now, PSG would have spent far less then other clubs in this window, they will have just spent all of their money on one player, as opposed to say Man City, who spent most of their money on fullbacks.

Also, would the Spanish F.A. call foul if say Real Madrid were to pay a similar amount for Kylian Mbappe?
    alderz
  • The Spanish clubs have been banned from signing players so they have been pre-signing them... Which seems kind of against the point...

Half the players don't pay taxes..

Pot and Kettle..