Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IF YOU CAN'T SIGN IN, CLEAR COOKIES FROM YOUR BROWSER CACHE

If you aren't sure how to do that, see this thread: whu606.com/discussion/7162/why-am-i-having-trouble-signing-in

If you still can't log in, email whu***@gmail.com (where *** is replaced by numbers I am sure you can work out.) giving the name of the browser and whether you are on PC or mobile device.
Categories +
Table +
PhysioRoom +

Lindelof for 2 yellows, say good Bailly to those 3 points (Official match thread v Man Utd 13.8.17)

The first DeGea of the season is nearly upon us and the whole of Southern England will be on red alert as their team takes on West Ham in our opener.

We rarely get one over on Man Utd. For example, they got Tevez, Ince, Ferdinand and Carrick directly or indirectly from us and we got Pearson, Spector, Morrison and Macari the manager in the opposite direction. Oh well, always look on the Whiteside of life ;thumbsup

With that in mind, at least Lukaku can’t score against us anymore when we play Everton. Also we now have Chicharito… He’s Herrera example of a good player joining us of Man Utd fame

Over the last season there’s been a growing WAG problem at the training ground. However, when interviewed, Maureen ‘ho’, deflected every question and was Keane to blame everyone else for all issues. Those sorts of Giggs aren’t easy to come by… ;whistle

With the new rule coming in this season regarding two game bans for diving, can they Cantona fair hearing? Or is it an auto Matic ban? Butt whatever the case, its certainly a Law Best adhered to as it could Mata a lot ;run

The small matter of Arnautovic, Chicharito, Zabaleta and Hart will play Prem football for the Hammers! Two will get booed, one will get a great reception and the other greeted with indifference… Until he scores

Verdict: Don’t Beckham, its a Shaw thing ;wink
SuzanneClaretchicagohammerHammerwombatFlorinRaducliousheathrowhammerSlaven_Cups_His_Beard

Comments

• ;wahoo
  • edited August 3
    Well its about time the new season match thread showed its face...

I deliberately left out any G Nev reference so Suz could keep her composure.
    MrsGreychicagohammer
  • Oh. And ;doh ;lol ;hmm ;nonono with a side-order of ;yercoat
  • edited August 3
    You know you love it (despite me being at pre-season composition fitness levels)
    MrsGrey
  • Have no idea how we are gonna line up as I'm not sure who's injured and who is unfit

Asumme Kouyate, Antonio, Carroll and Sakho are all out injured

Will Hernandez, Reid, Lanzini and Noble be fit enough to start?

Hart
    Fonte Reid Ogbonna
    Zabaleta Noble Obiang Masuaka
    Lanzini Hernandez Arnie

Sub: Adrian, Collins, Byram, Cresswell, Fernandes, Ayew, Martinez

Don't particularly like Zabaleta at RWB but with the squad so light I think it's a must, think United have looked really bright in preseason and Lukaku has a habit of scoring against us.....except when we went 3 at the back against Everton he was well contained

Think Masuaka starts ahead of Cresswell and Ayew from the bench
  • edited August 3
    Bazshuayi said:

we got Pearson, Spector, Morrison and Macari the manager in the opposite direction.

Add Ted MacDougall to that list. Shudder....

And Luke Chadwick!!!!!!!!
  • Great thread for the new season!
    SuzanneClaret
  • Hart; Zabaleta Reid Ogbonna Cresswell; Noble Obiang; Byram Lanzini Arnautovic; Hernandez

I like the idea of three at the back, but think that if that's the case, Zabaleta should be in the 3, not a wing back. However, the fact is, we haven't gone with a 3 in any of our preseason games. Slav clearly prefers a 4, so that's what I think we'll see.

I put Byram at RW because he played there a fair amount for Leeds, will get back and support Zabaleta, and his best attributes are his attacking ones. The alternative is Ayew, but he is the kind of guy to me who makes more impact from the bench.

I've also said Cresswell at LB, but if we went with Arthur I wouldn't be surprised, nor would I complain.
  • alderz - the last time Zabaleta played as part of a back three in 2012/13 it wasn't a great success, four matches, seven goals conceded and that was playing alongside Kompany.

If we've learnt anything over the last season its that playing people in a position they're not naturally suited to is a waste of talent.
  • Bazshuayi said:

Well its about time the new season match thread showed its face...

I deliberately left out any G Nev reference so Suz could keep her composure.

There's a good lad ;biggrin
  • edited August 3
    For me on the formation if no Noble then we have to go 3 at the back.

Fernandez is too light weight for 4231.
  • It's always a bit of a shame to start the season with a game we'll probably lose. I just hope we put in a good account of ourselves and really have a go. Not much to lose at any time of the season, but especially on the first day.
    chicagohammer
  • It's always a bit of a shame to start the season with a game we'll probably lose. I just hope we put in a good account of ourselves and really have a go. Not much to lose at any time of the season, but especially on the first day.

Two seasons ago we started away at Arsenal, a game we were expected to lose. It worked out rather well.....
    SuzanneClaretFlorinRaducliouschicagohammerKuchinghammer
  • Here's a thought..... we could win.
    FlorinRaduclious
  • Don't be silly Suz, somebody might think you have been on the ;redwine
  • Hart
    Zabaleta - Reid - Ogbonna
    Byram - Noble - Obiang - Lanzini - Masuaku
    Arnautovic
    Chicharito
  • We're going to win 2-1. My crystal ball hasn't seen the scorers though.
  • I forgot to mention (just as a general trivia note) whilst researching and generally gathering composition thoughts, I noted a midfielder who played for Man Utd in 1908/09 who went by the name of Harold Hardman. Now that's a proper midfield enforcer name!
  • As controversial as this is I'd be tempted to start Rice

I know preseason and competitive action can't be compared but the kid looks like a star and has EASILY been the standout of the preseason

Noble and Fernandes aren't particularly fond of defending whereas Rice looks like he can perform in midfield (as Slaven is likely to go with 4 at the back) and we are most likely gonna be under the cosh for most of the United game

Hart
    Zabaleta Reid Ogbonna Masuaka
    Obiang Rice Lanzini
    Ayew Hernandez Arnie

• edited August 7
    So reading everything I've seen so far, looks like we're going to start with this side on Sunday:

25 Hart
    5 Zabaleta - 4 Fonte - 21 Ogbonna - 3 Cresswell
    16 Noble - 14 Obiang
    11 Snodgrass - 20 Ayew - 18 Arnautovic
    29 Martinez

13 Adrian, 2 Reid, 22 Byram, 23 Masuaku, 31 Fernandes, 10 Lanzini, 17 Chicharito

Rumours are that Reid and Lanzini will return, but neither have had enough minutes to start and Chicharito won't be risked from the off.
  • I think Hernandez will start, unless I've missed some comments from the club.
  • I'd be surprised and disappointed if Chico doesn't start.
    Adam
  • Anyone who is going to the game I've heard that you should be at OT 2hrs before the game due to increased security...
  • Where did you hear that Vorse?
  • Herb it was on a forum, this was attached....

IMG_1298
  • 'this lot'

;lol
    imagelost
  • Thanks chaps.

I'm guessing only 4 smoke bombs this year then. ;lol
    Vorselaarhammer
This discussion has been closed.