Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IF YOU CAN'T SIGN IN, CLEAR COOKIES FROM YOUR BROWSER CACHE

If you aren't sure how to do that, see this thread: whu606.com/discussion/7162/why-am-i-having-trouble-signing-in

If you still can't log in, email whu***@gmail.com (where *** is replaced by numbers I am sure you can work out.) giving the name of the browser and whether you are on PC or mobile device.
Categories +
Table +
PhysioRoom +

The London Stadium Season Two (2017/18)

Comments

• 'Changing the colour of the pitch will help West Ham'??

I think we need a lot more help than that!
  • Knock it down and start again
  • OK, Twist.

Only, first we'd have to get them to sell it to us, and then we'd have to find north of £500m to pay for it.

Not sure it's gonna happen. Sure it's not gonna happen.
  • That's exactly what Tottenham wanted to do. Remind me how that worked out?
  • What is happening on the pitch, the results and the way we play has nothing to do with the stadium.

Give us something to watch that isn’t utterly appalling and we will rock the place.

We’ve done it before and we will do it again.

grey_til_I_dyeMarkNobleLocalHeroMrsGreyAdamMoojorExpat_HammerimagelostPrestonHammerironmike44KingHammerAbroadWhitehorsehammer
  • Clearly Slav thinks differently, he wanted the green round the pitch changed to claret as he believes it’s affecting the players
  • Clearly Slav thinks differently, he wanted the green round the pitch changed to claret as he believes it’s affecting the players

This doesn’t make any sense as an excuse, though. Surely we would be more familiar with the pitch than everybody else? How come the opposition teams aren’t having difficulty with the colour of the canvas?
    imagelost
  • Smoke and mirrors.
  • If they did it would kill off the plans for the giant snooker tournament next summer... ;whistle

Anyway, when I heard it discussed in the pre-match build up it was not to do with the players but rather the fans, as it was though a darker colour would make them feel closer to the pitch - think it was Gary "I know I am a failed manager but think I know more than current managers (but don't want to manage again)" Neville who discussed it.
  • Well if they can’t change the colour of the astro turf why don’t they move the electronic ad boards closer to the pitch surely that would solve the problem ? Or will that cost to much as well
    imagelost
  • If they did it would kill off the plans for the giant snooker tournament next summer... ;whistle

Anyway, when I heard it discussed in the pre-match build up it was not to do with the players but rather the fans, as it was though a darker colour would make them feel closer to the pitch - think it was Gary "I know I am a failed manager but think I know more than current managers (but don't want to manage again)" Neville who discussed it.

My moneys on Neville to West ham
  • It’s not an excuse imo it’s a genuine reason according to Slav, why would he lie? They’ve obviously discussed it, what’s bothering me more is that we don’t seem to be able to do anything about it right now.

It’s going to take time but right now this stadium move just doesn’t sit well
  • It's not a genuine reason is it though or every team that plays there would have the same problem. He's clutching at straws. What will be his next excuse I wonder. It can be too windy, it's a tiring walk from the dressing rooms.
    They train at Rush Green where from the pitch sides it can be a bus ride before they reach any kind of barrier or "spectator". I don't suppose most of there has been painted different colours.
    Jorderz_Moyes_will_be_MoyesPrestonHammer
  • On the stadium, I do think there is a problem with the atmosphere specific to the new stadium. When I went to book tickets for the Brighton disaster at the relatively last minute (after on general sale), there were no blocks of three seats available, so I bought two together and one nearby. Yet when we got there, there were about four empty seats next to our two seats, and almost all of the three rows behind us were empty in our block. How was it possible that all these seats were sold out when I went to book and then no one turned up? Is the club in fact pretending they are sold to make people think they need to buy the last remaining tickets quickly?

Second issue: behind us was a family of Brighton fans, and around us were loads of the kind of plastic non-fans who seem to be there just to watch a match in the stadium - the kind that leave after 30 mins to get a drink. Could it be that we have too many parts of the stadium without enough proper West Ham fans to build up an atmosphere? I know we did it once against Chelsea in the cup, so it is possible. But maybe it's so much harder that it takes a remarkable set of circumstances on and off the pitch to bring it about.
    TwistandShout
  • It's not a genuine reason is it though or every team that plays there would have the same problem. He's clutching at straws. What will be his next excuse I wonder. It can be too windy, it's a tiring walk from the dressing rooms.

I have to say, when I got on the train after the Brighton match and saw the headline of Slav's column in the Evening Standard - changing the colour around the pitch will help us - I felt my soul collapse and crumble into dust. I checked the date - no, not April 1st. God help us.
  • Nick I would imagine that’s ST holders who either didn’t go or didn’t sell on ticket trader (or tried but no takers), also don’t forget there are around 3,000 seats dotted around the ground that we can’t use as the safety is restricted at 57,000 plus there are another 6,000 right up at the back if we ever get to 66,000 capacity
  • OK, I can see that the rows behind being empty might be to do with the capacity. But the empty ones to our side were shown as not available even on ticket exchange. Can ST holders sell their seats on third party sites? If not, perhaps they were just very late in putting them on ticket exchange. Either way, resulted in rather a dead atmosphere in our block.
  • Moore.

There were spaces around where I sit on Friday that for a 3pm Saturday kick off would be occupied by ST holders.

I have noticed they are often empty when the game is moved from 3pm on a Saturday.
    Whitehorsehammer
  • Moore_than my son got two tickets for the Spurs match at the end of last season and they were season tickets from some guy in Leeds. Apparently the guy bought two tickets but never goes to games and sells them on a match by match basis. My son paid a fortune for the two tickets and I bet there's a lot of this going on. The Spurs game would be easy to sell but Brighton on a Friday night not so.
    SuzanneClaret
  • As long as people keep buying 'hooky' tickets, the club will never be able to ban season ticket holders who don't attend and those season tickets will thus never be made available for fans who are on the waiting list.
    NEoldironSuzanneClaretHammerwombat
  • Of course that doesn’t help, but there again neither does the lack of appeal for fans to sell on ticket trader with amount you get back. Could also look at the original scheme that allowed so many non hammers to get tickets, that started it
  • edited October 2017
    I thought ticket trader amounts were calculated as that proportion of the cost of the ticket for that game? In other words, you can't make a profit - which imo is right: if you incentivise people by letting them make a profit on ticket trader, you incentivise people (fans and non-fans) to buy up a season ticket that they have no intention of using.

Looking at the original scheme - that's gone, izzy. Nothing you can do about that now. Plus, we don't know that the ST holder in the example thornbury gave ISN'T a fan.

With the great increase in number of STs available as a consequence of moving to a bigger stadium, more folks can get one. And with prices for many bands kept low, fans who can only make it to a few games a season (for whatever reason) find they can justify buying a ST even though they might only get to 5 or 6 games.

If you want to go back and look at the many and varied reasons why current ST holders don't attend all games, you could make an argument for putting ST prices up. You can't change what happened in the past. But you can put in place things that can try to fix any negatives which have resulted from past decisions.
  • Speaking to those around me in the stadium its the moving of games to inconvenient times that keep people away.

There are a lot of family groups were I sit. One guy can't bring his two kids to Sunday games as they are with their mother on Sunday's. One lot don't come to evening fixtures.

Him_Indoors didn't go on Friday as he works Friday nights, but we have a good supply of nieces/nephews/mates that can use his ticket. (But this does break the rules about season ticket ownership).
  • Absolutely you two, there are many many reasons and factors why people can’t go.

Mrs G, I don’t think anyone who puts their ticket on ticket trader wants to make a profit they just want a decent amount of cash back based on the individual cost of one ticket in their ST package.

Trouble is, getting a few quid back (that goes into a savings account which either didn’t work or can barely be used) while the club then resell it for 40-50 all the while telling you that’s the transfer kitty which doesn’t get spent (14m net - our ticket sales should be about 40m) or perhaps it’s helping pay the 7% interest on loans that they caused themselves by appointing an incompetent manager and getting relegated, well it just doesn’t sit right does it ;wink

As for the original process to sell 52k ST, you reap what you sow.
  • The tickets my son bought were advertised on a website but I don’t know it’s name. My son has bought tickets to other sporting events or shows on the site so it sounds a bit like a touts site.
  • My main bug bear with Ticket Trader is that you do not get the cash. The money you receive is held on account and can only be spent on tickets or club merchandise etc.
    SuzanneClaret
  • Thanks, guys. Interesting discussion. Seems like they haven't got the ST system, including selling seats for games ST holders you can't make, right. Perhaps, combined with the number of "football tourists" in the stadium, is making it harder to generate the atmosphere that is possible. Of course this would just be one of various factors...

I've looked on various ticket touting websites and there's a huge mark-up, so I can understand that sellers might be aiming at bit too high for a league match against Brighton, leaving some seats unused.
  • On a different issue, has anyone sat behind the big screens and, if so, how is the view and the atmosphere? The huge gap between the lower and upper tiers here is my biggest issue about the stadium's seating.
    ammerinaberdeen
  • Another issue is getting soaked when it rains !
  • That never happened at Upton Park then?
This discussion has been closed.