Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IF YOU CAN'T SIGN IN, CLEAR COOKIES FROM YOUR BROWSER CACHE

If you aren't sure how to do that, see this thread: whu606.com/discussion/7162/why-am-i-having-trouble-signing-in

If you still can't log in, email whu***@gmail.com (where *** is replaced by numbers I am sure you can work out.) giving the name of the browser and whether you are on PC or mobile device.
Categories +
Table +
PhysioRoom +

The London Stadium Season Two (2017/18)

Comments

• MrsGrey said:

UK Athletics will be bidding for the 2022 European Athletics Championships, with the Premier League starting in July because of the World Cup being played in December we might have to play our games away for nearly two months

;hmm The tone of the reporting is that they are unlikely to be successful because the new competition format is for a multi-sport championships in 2022, and the organisers are keen for a single country to host all of the sports (which isn't the terms of the UK bid).

Also, Birmingham may bid for the 2022 Commonwealth Games.
    I posted about the 2022 Commonwealth Games yesterday, between Brum and Liverpool
  • Missed it ;ok
  • MrsGrey said:

Things can only get better can't they ;hmm

Yes, we'll then have a run of 2 months of home games. ;thumbsup
    Where the damage could be done, and possibly adds more pressure to the home games ?
    MrsGrey
  • edited September 2017
    Cheer up, mate. It needn't be all doom and gloom. ;whome
    Moojor
  • edited September 2017
    I'm going to limit myself to worrying about stuff now, rather than something that might possibly happen in 5 years time.

#prioritise
    #procrastinate
    #keepcalmwemighthavefallenunderabus
    SuzanneClaret
  • It just seems to be everything right now Mrs g, I'm normally the last one to get too stressed out about us, I cringe at some bits and laugh at others.

Probably won't even happen, but if it did then it could be an issue
  • edited September 2017
    Funny that just being announced, after the strong rumours of protests and Banners etc. on Monday, together with the threat of throwing unmentionables onto the pitch/ running track whilst the Sky cameras are there.
    Whilst securuty is an obvious concern at the stadium for the first home game, this does sound like a bit of a knee jerk re timing - The Twins are more worried about their image being sullyed (see what i did there ?) than anything else imo.
  • edited September 2017
    billybondsbeard - I think you are wrong trying to call this a knee jerk reaction by the owners to prevent protests (Which I hope and don’t think will happen, embarrassing if it does) The arrangements were put in place in the summer for concerts and athletics and it make sense to not just check people going through the turnstiles as someone with evil intent could walk up to the stadium and mingle with the crowds outside.
    MrsGrey
  • WH
    I made the point about security being an obvious concern - its the timing of the announcement that I find interesting. They could have done this at any time. After recent events, and the accompanying poor publicity, I think the owners will want to clamp down on any shows of dissent, especially with the live TV feed.
    Just my cynical opinion ;scarf
  • A few days before the first home game seems like the perfect time to announce it.
    MrsGreyMarkNobleLocalHeroPearces_Left_Foot
  • Yep - suits both agendas
  • I think you are reading too much into it, bbb.

These new measures are no more stringent than the old. They aren't 'clamping down' through them.
  • Like I say I'm a Cynic - I think that they will be trying especially hard on Monday not to let anything into the ground that would be construed as an attempt to give the owners poor publicity - in the wake of the Sporting Lisbon affair, and the media jumping on their new Nick Name. As an aside, I wonder what is the stadium policy on waving a sexual aid around during a televised game ;hmm
  • Inflatables are on the banned list already unless I am mistaken.
  • You can blow them up once you are in !!
    I'm actually looking forward to it and I hope some get through - given our fans sense of humour, I think it could be a bit of a laugh, and a nightmare for the Sky camaramen. Its frivolous at worst.
    On a more serious note, there must be a right to protest, its too late to not buy your season ticket, and you want to show support for the team, but not the owners, if you feel that way inclined. I dont care a bit about Sulleys feelings, its the only place where they cant completely control the narrative, if there are visible banners etc.
    Will it change anything anytime soon - probably not,they will dismiss it as a few disaffected customers ( not Fans).

Still cant see the 'next level' though - but they didnt specify whether it was one up or one down.....
  • edited September 2017
    Everyone has the right to protest in a public place but the London Stadium isn't a public place, it's private property.

You'd need to look at the terms and conditions attached to your ticket to see what is and what isn't considered acceptable behaviour.
    MrsGreyWhitehorsehammer
  • From the Ground Regulations
    1 Notwithstanding possession of any ticket the Club, the operator, any police officer or authorised steward may refuse entry to (or eject from) the Ground any person:

1.1 that fails (or in the Operator’s reasonable opinion is likely to fail) to comply with these Ground Regulations or any reasonable instruction issued by a police officer or authorised steward; and/or

1.2 whose presence within the Ground is, or could (in the Operator's reasonable opinion), constitute a source of danger, nuisance or annoyance to any other person.
    I suspect waving a sexual aid around might be construed as causing annoyance to other people
    11 The following acts are offences under the Football (Offences) Act 1991 (as amended):

11.1 The throwing of any object within London Stadium without lawful authority or excuse.
  • edited September 2017

I'm actually looking forward to it and I hope some get through -
    . ...
    On a more serious note, there must be a right to protest,

its the only place where they cant completely control the narrative, if there are visible banners etc.

First, I don't. If there is visible protest, it just keeps (and stokes) the negative coverage of WH in the public eye. I think this is bad for the club, bad for the players etc.

You can't argue that Sully should keep his mouth shut and sort out disagreements in private and at the same time think its good that the fans air the dirty laundry in public. (not saying that you have expressed these contradictory opinions, just saying that I don't think it's possible to be in both camps.)

A right to protest - yes, but not a right to do it wherever you feel like it.

'only place they can't control the narrative' ;nonono What, you think they've got the 'narrative under control' everywhere else??? Is there some kind of social media black-out in Cornwall then?
  • Fans protesting would be as embarrassing and as self-involved as anything Sully has said or done.

We need a win, and supporters of the club should put their own negativity behind them and do what's best for West Ham right now, which is create a good atmosphere on Monday night to help the team.

IMO.
    MrsGreyIronHerbWhitehorsehammerASLEFshruggedgrey_til_I_dyeFlorinRaducliousSuzanneClaretMarkNobleLocalHero
  • billybondsbeard posted this yesterday and I'm amazed that there hasn't been any comment on it.
    https://t.co/TZ9otG5WSd

Newham is one of the most deprived boroughs in London and yet they're writing off over £40m loaned to West Ham aka Sully and Gold
    Absolutely scandalous. ;angry
  • edited September 2017
    Mrs G Said -" A right to protest - yes, but not a right to do it wherever you feel like it." - Really - did you just say that out loud ????

In my opinion ...
    They pretty tightly control the narrative with certain reporters in the Print media, ( Ken Dyer et al) who do not want to be the one to miss out on further inside track exclusives etc for reporting unfavourably about our illustrious owners.
    Excepting the tightly controlled official site, and some rather suspicious tame Social media sites, where is the freedom of expression thats allows the vocal dissenting fans a voice ??
    The ground IS one of the few places where they cant completely control the narrative -

Secondly, whats the point of a protest if it isnt in the public eye in this case, and in front of the SKy cameras in particular. I do have an axe to grind against the current owners , and the lies and spin that they put out to the paying public, and armchair fans like myself, from places like Cornwall, who have to follow the club in a vicarious way. The whole point of a protest is to do it where its inconvenient - I've been arrested on a few in my radical youth.
    Our dirty laundry is already in public, I dont see why the fans cannot have a dissenting voice where it matters, and was/am looking forward to a vocal protest, just to hear any reaction to it. I dislike the current board so much, I even want them to go when we are winning ;biggrin
  • I very much doubt there will be much said. I'm going and I fully expect the usual from the crowd. Good support for the team, unless we aren't trying/losing and then there willl be some boos.

There may be on inflatable on show but there won't be much.
  • NEoldiron said:

billybondsbeard posted this yesterday and I'm amazed that there hasn't been any comment on it.

Newham is one of the most deprived boroughs in London and yet they're writing off over £40m loaned to West Ham aka Sully and Gold

Well, it's not confirmed yet. And is the loan to West Ham?
  • edited September 2017
    Excepting the tightly controlled official site, and some rather suspicious tame Social media sites, where is the freedom of expression thats allows the vocal dissenting fans a voice ??
    Did you just type that out loud?

Do you not have access to Google? (other search engines are available.)

A simple glance through poor Mr Gold's Twitter feed would assure you that there are plenty of dissenting voices, and that, despite being hostile and personal, they are given space to express themselves on his feed.

They get caned regularly on here, but there are tons more vitriolic sites/ Facebook pages/ Twitter accounts if you have the inclination to look for them.
  • edited September 2017

Mrs G Said -" A right to protest - yes, but not a right to do it wherever you feel like it." - Really - did you just say that out loud ????

Yes.

In my opinion ...
    They pretty tightly control the narrative with certain reporters in the Print media, ( Ken Dyer et al) who do not want to be the one to miss out on further inside track exclusives etc for reporting unfavourably about our illustrious owners.
    Excepting the tightly controlled official site, and some rather suspicious tame Social media sites, where is the freedom of expression thats allows the vocal dissenting fans a voice ?? -

Well, people seem to be doing quite well here, on KUMB, in the comments below the line in the mainstream press, on C+H, any number of WH fan blogs and news sites, facebook including the clubs own account, and a multitude of twitter sites to the extent that 'dissenting fans' get to abuse David Gold on his own twitter account.

If those places are not sufficient for the vocal dissenting fans, perhaps they could set up their own site. It's free.

You'll never convince me that the club 'controls the narrative' and that dissenting voices are stifled. Sorry.

Secondly, whats the point of a protest if it isnt in the public eye in this case, and in front of the SKy cameras in particular.

Let me reply with a rhetorical question of my own. What's the point of a protest?

I men, does anybody seriously think that is a few disgruntled fans express their views in front of the Sky cameras, the owners will just say, Oh, OK we'll sell then.

imo, there's no way their 'protest' will achieve their (apparent) ends. Unless it's all about getting their voice/picture on the telly. 5 minutes of fame. Self-indulgent.
  • The Sky cameras make the difference IMO - if there was a lot of visible protest, then that would be 'News' on the scale of that nights Sky audience, plus all other interested partys, and may even provoke a debate in pundit land. My interest is in the response to that debate (if any) from the board. IMO they have never been put in a position where they have scrutiny that they cannot ignore. Your right - all other social media they can pretty well kiss off. With the cameras there we may see a protest banner, and a shot of their reaction to it.
    By all means if you are a fan who is happy - stage a 'Support the Board' protest or sit on your hands .
  • NEoldiron said:

billybondsbeard posted this yesterday and I'm amazed that there hasn't been any comment on it.

£40m wasn't loaned to West ham though.

That would be possible state funding, it was loaned to whoever is running the stadium. The fact they've written it off just shows what a monumental mess the whole LLDC thing was/is, losing money every year for a while yet
  • Regarding sites like C&H then he gets his inside scoops from DS and while he will tell the world he's not in his pocket, all those articles and exclusives (his Sun and Sunday Sport traits) add up to a pretty penny for the old guy, I've been informed of a round about figure and it's a good earner indeed. DS doesn't control him but he does play a big part, then they throw in the odd semi negative article to try and keep some balance

Just my opinion
    tomkinsworldclassLukerz
  • Slav
    If Newham Council had not ‘invested’ £40m (via a special subsidiary company called Newham Legacy Investments Ltd) to help transform the stadium into West Ham’s new ground would not the money have had to have been put up by Sully and Gold?
This discussion has been closed.