Pre-season training camps and fixtures (West Ham)

Comments

• Lukerz

Last two years we have had fewer friendlies but also had early rounds of Europa, so this is a departure from the norm, I think.

Personally, I would rather they played less pointless friendlies and did more team bonding and physical conditioning work. Usually the friendlies are at such a walking pace they don't really benefit anybody.
  • It's strange, as regardless of previous experience, performance/results in friendlies often create concerns and anxiety in sections of our fans, even though it's clear that there is no correlation between pre-season friendly games and how we then do in the league.
  • edited July 2017
    On the other hand, there's no substitute for getting games in to be 'match fit'.

I've never been 'match fit' myself, so I'm not 100% sure what that is and how many games you need!
  • edited July 2017
    Can't wait to see Arnautovic and Chicharito - any news on whether they'll both play on Friday?

#vamoshammers
  • edited July 2017
    By the way, someone said the club was taking the pre-season friendlies a bit too seriously by buying up the ex-players of our oppo. And asked if we had a friendly against Bayer Leverkeusen lined up. Perhaps they moved on to the first game of the real season!

We already have Fonte from our second EPL opponents.

Next purchase from Newcastle? Shelvey when Wilshere fails medical?

After that, we have Huddersfield covered (Snodders now makes sense).

Then West Brom (Rondon or Foster as back-up?), Spurs (we don't do business with them), Swansea (Gylffi if we find £50mn down the back of the sofa at Dave's mansion, as well as a brainwashing machine) and Burnley (surely Gray will come now - this watertight analysis makes it a no-brainer).

(Might work better in transfer speculation thread...)
  • I had to do a double-take when I saw the name of the training venue in Germany.

You couldn't score in a...

Expect groin injuries galore.

etc. etc.
  • ;nonono

On both Monday and Tuesday afternoons, the group got through more than 300 pieces of the smart new 2017/18 Umbro trainingwear and accessories – rain jackets, jumpers, shirts, shorts, socks, underpants, bibs, boots, trainers, flip flops and a woolly hat for manager Slaven Bilic – all of which needs to be washed and dried for the following day.
    Read more at http://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2017/july/26-july/hammers-tour-rain-doesnt-dampen-spirits-germany#YwBFzXCgw7joM0dS.99
  • edited July 2017
    Ogbonna and Lanzini picked up injuries in training today.
  • You're joshing me. Source?
  • edited July 2017
    football.london

If anybody is interested this guy is following the Hammers all pre-season: Sam Inkersole

https://mobile.twitter.com/sam_inkersoletm?lang=en

Has a few behind the scenes reports and vids of the pre-season sessions.

;ok
  • Ogbonna and Lanzini picked up injuries in training today.

Well, actually, what was tweeted was
    @Sam_InkersoleTM any word on Ogbonna after complaints of knee pain? How serious is it sounding?

Reply: No update yet. He wasn't limping too badly at all, just felt a twinge I think.

• I couldn't find anything about Lanzini on either football.london or on the guy's twitter account. When you post stuff like that, could you give a proper (direct) link, Luke, please? Pretty please? ;beer
  • edited July 2017
    Twitter....

Good news. Diafra Sakho should start training with the first team squad in the next day or so. Good luck Diafra. dg
  • edited July 2017
    All looking rosey then.
  • MrsGrey said:

I couldn't find anything about Lanzini on either football.london or on the guy's twitter account. When you post stuff like that, could you give a proper (direct) link, Luke, please? Pretty please? ;beer

http://www.football.london/west-ham-united-fc/players/marko-arnautovic-desperate-prove-worth-13391288

There's a video link where he is giving a daily update. Said ogbonna limped off halfway through the morning session, feghouli and lanzini didn't train, as feghouli had a knock and lanzini had a slight ankle injury...
  • edited July 2017
    Thank you ;thumbsup

Just watched the vid. Good stuff. thanks for the heads up, Luke ;ok
  • I liked the bit in the video where he said Joe Hart and Zaba were shouting at their teammates in training - not accepting errors. Zaba ripped into Fletcher for missing a a chance. Hope that's not why he's off. If he is. But I was hoping that these two would raise the level in training, so good to hear.
  • Well this does seem to confirm what a lot of us thought last year in that our training was not up to much especially after the Stam comment with Oxford. Worrying that it's taken two ex City players to shake things up.
  • Does it though? It's just a jounalist that has seen two players being vocal. That doesn't mean the intensity wasn't there before, it just means we bought a couple of loud mouths.

Of course it COULD mean that, but I would just be surprised if the manager would allow his training methods to be changed by two players who've been here 5 minutes.
  • Maybe the methods the same and the way those two train has helped with the intensity of the drills... Slav admitted the intesisty had gone a bit in training last year...

I remember noble saying before that in training if the intensity weren't there he'd put in a heavy challenge or put it on someone that is likely to bite back (he used ginge as an example) to get people fired up...

Maybe having two fired up loud mouths has meant there is always a bit of bite and intensity to training... I hope so.
  • Apparently there's an announcement due this morning and it's bad news? That's the word on twitter.

Another injury? Kouyate?
  • Lanzini transfer request ;whistle
  • ;nonono
  • Please don't.
  • Sakho's gone from being fully fit to being injured again, in less than a week?
  • edited July 2017
    I saw that 'intensity' report and took it to mean that the intensity of training ramps up progressively during pre-season as the players get fitter.

Also, surely we don't want too much intensity (in tackles etc) = injury.
  • Apparently there's an announcement due this morning and it's bad news? That's the word on twitter.

The word from who on twitter? Have you got a link, Luke?

• AC is fit and not smashed?
  • Could it be the confirmation that Fetcher has signed for Boro, I wonder?