Pre-season training camps and fixtures (West Ham)

Comments

• edited July 2017

why has he been given extra time off? He hasn't been playing for England has he so just baffles me. ;hmm

Has he? Can you say where you saw it, or give a link, 'cos I haven't seen that and I'm interested. Ta very much ;ok
  • Ogbonna's in the rehab stage after his operation. He has a long period of doing nothing (ie holiday) at the end of last season. He therefore doesn't need a full summer break (no pun intended).

Players are entitled to time off.

The physio/medical team give them a personalised fitness regime to follow in the off-season. The players don't need to be at Rush Green to follow that.

• edited July 2017
    IronHerb said:

Looking at Carroll missus Instagram looks like Carroll is more interested in sunbathing and being at pool party's then getting fit for the new season it really is a joke.

How do you know he isn't fit?
    Or that he's not spending time in the gym, and doing other stuff like running?

Like most people do, I expect she's posting pics of the family having fun, rather than of hubby at work.
  • Fonte, of course, will be late back ... probably beginning of August?
  • Only 6 weeks until the Prem kicks off ;wahoo
  • ;wahoo

FF Football new season up and running from w/b 10 July.

Let the tinkering begin ;wahoo
  • edited July 2017
    http://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2017/july/04-july/byram-returns-early-summer-holidays

Having enjoyed his holidays, Byram returned to Rush Green last week, where he is one of a number of first-team players working on their fitness and rehabilitation.

“We’ve got a programme to do over our holidays and I only live 15 minutes from the training ground, so it’s easy for me to just pop in and use the facilities here to keep me in shape,” the right-back explained.

Which reinforces my belief that when we hear of players 'back early working to get fit ahead of pre-season' often it is just them doing their normal off-season routines but using the club facilities rather than any other gym or whatever. Doesn't mean the 'not back' aren't also sticking to their workout programme - just not at the club, or posting pictures on Instagram about it.

(I see that Byram Instagrammed a pic of him our running while on holiday in the States.)
  • edited July 2017
    Club twitter just posted a clip of the guys back at Rush Green.

AC (what is he wearing?) Sakho, Byram, Arfer, Fletcher, Nobes, Zabaleta, Obiang, Ginge plus the gaffer. Makes me happy ;wahoo
  • That's what happens when you let the missus go clothes shopping for you....
  • Hang on! AC and Sakho won't be back for start of pre season, or did I get that wrong? ;hmm
  • Perhaps David Jnr has been on a Photoshop course?
  • IronHerb said:

Hang on! AC and Sakho won't be back for start of pre season, or did I get that wrong? ;hmm

Don't jump the gun just yet ;wink

Not claiming to be ITK but I know AC is not expected to undergo the same pre-season as the rest of the guys. He is expected to be behind them.
  • But AC never trains the same as the rest, Bilic has stated this previously.
  • The Werder Bremen and Altona friendlies will be on Premier TV, 17:30 Fri 28/7 and Tue 1/8, 14:30 Sat 29/7
  • edited July 2017
    Cheers, ASLEF ;ok
  • edited July 2017
    Yes, thanks for that info ;ok

New fixture added in Austria, against Fulham on 20 July.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/july/07/friendlies-confirmed

For reference, I have updated the 1st post in this thread to show the confirmed fixtures - I thought it was easier to have it in 1 place.
  • MrsGrey said:

why has he been given extra time off? He hasn't been playing for England has he so just baffles me. ;hmm

Has he? Can you say where you saw it, or give a link, 'cos I haven't seen that and I'm interested. Ta very much ;ok
    OK, question answered. Move along, nothing to see here ;whome
  • Interesting interview with Reece Oxford here, which indicates that they do more running and possibly have more emphasis on fitness levels in pre-season training at his new club than at West Ham.

http://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2017/july/06-july/young-hammer-oxford-settling-life-loan
  • I saw that ;ok

Interesting. Clearly the 'philosophy' of pre-season varies quite a lot. Although I thought the 'run, run and run some more' was viewed as quite old-fashioned these days.

I noticed from another article on the club site that pre-season seems to involve more ball work from the very beginning, which I understand wasn't always the case.

I note, though, that in the Recce Oxford interview, he says there isn't that much difference, except that even more emphasis is placed on the running! Maybe implying that running is still a big part of it in England?

;hmm

• edited July 2017
    Yes, hard to read much into such an interview. But the telling line for me was “The training is a bit different than I'm used to from England, but that is good for me, because I feel that it brings me to a very good fitness level." The implication - to me - was that he didn't think West Ham's training brought him to a very good fitness level, though of course what he says is not inconsistent with his meaning that West Ham's training also brought him to a very good fitness level, just differently. Anway, that might all change this year with Ray Lewin, if he has much say in the fitness work of non-injured players, that is.
  • Wasn't there something about the training at Reading as well?
  • Yes he couldn't cope with the intensity.
  • I'm interested to know what Zabaleta thinks of our set-up and whether he'll have any influence on our pre-season and training given his pedigree.
  • Ice Bucket Challenge.... Ginge of course goes for the full dip...

19983474_1618463471520196_6352990003514774460_o
  • Showing the youngsters how it's done. ;lol
  • Cryogenic ginger? ;sofa
  • edited July 2017
    Like I was saying, I wonder how Zabaleta rates our high-tech, state-of-the-art set-up? ;)