West Ham and Newcastle Raided in tax investigation....

Comments

• On the bright side of the news today.

joey barton has been banned for 18m and basically forced into retirement...
  • I don't know if it's because he's French and was an inter country transfer that they showed Payet on the news or are his transfers part of the investigation.
  • Tax cases are incredibly complex and hard for a jury to understand due to the technical nature and the ability for a good brief to make the trial last a few months thus lessening the change of a guilty verdict, that was so little city crime goes to court. Will be interested to see how this ends up.
  • Probably just a filler shot, thorn. I think it would be a bit dubious to use his image if he was really implicated.
  • Weren't Marseille raided?
  • IH, the Mail says that both us and Newcastle have had dealings with Marseilles
  • edited April 2017
    The Sun mentions Demba Ba as the link between us, Newcastle and France (oh and Chelsea). It is the Sun so no knowing whether there is anything in this or whether some poor journo was set the task to trawl the interweb and find players transferred between the two clubs, especially French ones.
  • The Sun (I know, I know) claims there is a connection with Demba Ba's transfer from us to Newcastle, Chelsea also had a visit from HMRC so it might also include his transfer there. The Indy reckons it might go all the way back to 2007, not a good year for our transfer dealings although that was the year that Newcastle signed Habib Beye from Marseille. Sam was manager there at the time.........

As no one at West Ham or Chelsea has been arrested it seems the inquiry is focused mostly on Newcastle,
  • The one named Newcastle chap who was arrested was released without charge last night.
  • Radio 4 also reporting this morning that the transfer of Demba Ba is part of the investigation.
  • Demba Ba

2005–2006
    Rouen 26 (22)

2006–2007
    Mouscron 12 (8)

2007–2011
    1899 Hoffenheim 97 (37)

West Ham United 12 (7)

2011–2013
    Newcastle United 54 (29)

2013–2014
    Chelsea 33 (7)

2014–2015
    Beşiktaş 29 (18)

2015–
    Shanghai Shenhua 29 (20)

2017–
    → Beşiktaş (loan) 0 (0)
  • The headlines this morning talk about secret payments made, if so, how monumentally stupid is that.

any one enterprise has the right to renumerate their employees how they wish, but the onus is surely on that enterprise to ensure that any such payments go through payroll and will be assessed for taxation.
  • Apparently other names are springing up

Demba Ba / Diarra. Marseilles hierarchy being arrested ?
  • "Former Newcastle winger Sylvain Marveaux is one of four people arrested"

Looks like the Geordies are the center of problem certainly.....
  • https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/apr/28/newcastle-tax-investigation-moussa-sissoko

Seems to be focused mostly on what happened when Newcastle signed players from French clubs.
  • Certainly seems from that that we are peripheral to the main investigation.
  • edited April 2017
    Looks very much like its Newcastle at the epicentre with us just playing a bit part.
  • The club should ask for a retraction at least - if not an apology.
  • Greys if you read the article fully it does say there is no suggestion the club has done anything wrong. A lot of the papers had the same kind of story and I think HMRC are investigating a lot of deals where Marseille are involved. It could still well be the case that Payet and/or his agent are under suspicion.
    I can see why the club felt the need to make a statement as the headline was attention grabbing.
  • thorn

Not just the headline:
    A controversial £1million loyalty payment to France midfielder Dimitri Payet by West Ham was one trigger for last week’s raids by the taxman on football clubs, The Mail on Sunday can reveal.
    Which, according to the club, is simply false.
  • Oh imagine my surprise!
  • edited May 2017
    The articles, in several papers, don't accuse us of anything but state that the Revenue are investigating the £1M loyalty payment made to Payet.
    I believe the club when they say all tax etc was paid on the money but there must be a reason the HMRC are investigating us and took away computers and documents.
    Hopefully it is only this payment that is being investigated because they'll just say everything is above board but if it isn't and they're investigating the Payet and Demba Ba transfers for other reasons then that could be more serious.
    In all the cases I don't think it's the clubs being investigated but the players and/or their agents. Demba Ba moved from us to Newcastle on a free but £1M was paid out in different payments to different people for doing what appears to be nothing.

As for the wording of the article I would call the loyalty payment controversial seeing as he had only been with us for 1 season and had already hinted he wanted a move and then demanded one almost immediately after he got it. ;biggrin
  • Sorry, thorn, are you saying that HMRC were not capable of ascertaining the details of the loyalty payment without a dawn raid? The first and central claim of the story is simply false.
  • Then why were we raided.
  • Re: the loyalty payment to Payet

Vulgar? Yes
    Abhorrent? Yes
    Gut wrenching? Yes

Compliant? Yes

If it has been processed through their payroll software all taxes would have been 100% correctly captured. I'm struggling to see what the fuss is about
  • edited May 2017
    We were (likely) raided due to the paperwork we held when we 1) transferred Demba Ba originally from Hoffenheim and (mainly) 2) the paperwork we held when he terminated his contract with us to move to Newcastle, who are the focus of the investigation.
  • edited May 2017
    thorn

I have no more idea than the Mail on Sunday.

baracks

That's why it surely can't be the loyalty payment that is at issue, notwithstanding the MoS's 'insider'.
  • A couple of things.

1) Demba Ba leaving us on a free means exactly that, he went for free. If Newcastle then had to pay any money, it would go to his agents, not to us. I don't see how that has anything to do with us. Although I don't know what the deal was when he signed for us from Hoffenheim.

2) I don't believe for one second that having seen newspaper reports of Payet receiving a £1 million pound loyalty bonus, the HMRC suddenly decided to investigate us and then initiate a dawn raid on the strength of that.

• Hmrc are probably of the view that the payment to Payet was criminal and I personally wouldn't disagree with that