Brexit: the next stage. Deal or No Deal? (and the General Election)

Comments

• What a surprise. She doesn't want to have anything to do with the whole mess that has been started.
  • June 8th
  • Lib Dems pretty much sure to campaign on a no-Brexit platform. Will be interesting to see how that pans out.
  • It's got to get through parliament first and there'll be a lot of MPs who vote against it as they fear they'll lose their seats.
  • edited April 2017
    Back in December, Corbyn said Labour would support an early GE.

Edit: And has just confirmed it again.
  • edited April 2017
    Well this is going to be fun, there's not enough time to repeal the Fixed Term Parliaments Act 2011 so she either needs a two third majority to vote for an early election or there are two votes of "no confidence" in 14 days.

Two thirds would be 434, the Tories only have 330 MPs, between them the Lib Dems, SNP, etc. only have 91 including the Speaker, if Labour refuse to play ball then then Theresa May is going to have to vote twice that she has no confidence in her own leadership!!

Beeee-zar
  • Corbyn is backing the early election so that's saved May an embarrassing situation
  • I'm not sure who is going to be embarrassed, Labour need to get their act together if we are to have anything other than another Tory win.
  • Suze - you don't think Theresa May having to vote that she had no confidence in her own leadership wouldn't have been a tad embarrassing?
  • Stupidest thing May could do. Talk about giving UKIP a foothold, this has played right into their hands.
  • Oh I do, yes.
  • Without meaning to sound too selfish, this is another inset day I now need to find childcare for when the school turns into a polling station... ;hmm
  • Voting days aren't inset days though are they ? O_o
  • Yeold

No, but the effect is the same for parents, since the school is closed.
  • So the NI problem is put back I guess with another GE
    SNP get a chance to hammer home IndyRef2 consolidating another GE

Labour in Turmoil / Lib Dems riding on Brexit

Conservatives taking a gamble but pretty much throwing away the Union imo to do it.
  • Stupidest thing May could do. Talk about giving UKIP a foothold, this has played right into their hands.

Not really, UKIP's numbers have been dropping ever since the Referendum, since the beginning of March they've averaged 10.6%, 2% down on 2015 but almost half what they were getting n June last year.
  • UKIP is over - who are all those angry old baby boomers going to vote for now ???
    #bustedflush
  • I agree re the above comments about UKIP. I think this is a smart move by May,Labour are in disarray & her Brexit strategy seems to have taken the sting out of UKIP.I've never voted Lib Dem in my life but I'm seriously considering doing so(I live in Madrid so I'm obviously anti-Brexit).I think many people will do the same but at the moment I can see no further than a Tory victory-& I've never voted for them in my life either!
  • I agree re the above comments about UKIP. I think this is a smart move by May,Labour are in disarray & her Brexit strategy seems to have taken the sting out of UKIP.I've never voted Lib Dem in my life but I'm seriously considering doing so(I live in Madrid so I'm obviously anti-Brexit).I think many people will do the same but at the moment I can see no further than a Tory victory-& I've never voted for them in my life either!

The Lib Dems are optimistic after winning Richmond Park, they're resurgent in their old stronghold of the West Country and will be looking to regain seats they lost to the Tories that voted Remain in the South and in London.
  • And they have be a leader who wanted a second referendum on brexit?? Quite ironic for a leader whose party has the word "democrats" in their name.
  • And they have be a leader who wanted a second referendum on brexit?? Quite ironic for a leader whose party has the word "democrats" in their name.

Why? Just because there's a vote for something it doesn't mean you have to accept it and stop opposing it if you feel its wrong. Nothing is ever over, the is no "in the end".
  • edited April 2017
    Why?

Because like it or not the referendum was a democratic vote.

Clearly in the lib dems view there should keep on being more votes until they get the result they want
  • Clacton is going to be a lot of fun.

Douglas Carswell, ex-Tory, ex-UKIP, now sitting as an independent
    Aaron Banks, ex-UKIP money man, standing as an independent pro-Leave candidate
    UKIP will want their own candidate, maybe they could tempt Farage out of retirement
    And the Tories will obviously be looking to win the seat back.

Getting awfully crowded on the right side of the political spectrum......
  • edited April 2017
    I would love Labour to be really radical and campaign on a platform of Anti Brexit., and a reversal of the referendum, which was an advisory one in any case.
    There would be an uproar of course, but I tell you what, there will be an awful lot of floating voters who would go for it. And I think that those voters who went from core Labour to UKIP are by definition no longer Labour's core vote. The Baby boomer generation are now starting to die off, and in my opinion, their prejudicies and attitudes should die off with them, they are not going to be alive to witness the effects of Brexit on our younger citizens. Labour should make an unashamed push for the youth vote in this country, and for the disaffected Remain vote.

If necessary, a campaign of tactical voting with other parties.

And they could win. ;ok
  • Why?

Because like it or not the referendum was a democratic vote.

Clearly in the lib dems view there should keep on being more votes until they get the result they want

so was the General Election, we have those at regular intervals because people change their minds and vote for someone else. The Lib Dems are as much entitled to call for a second Referendum as the SNP are to call for theirs, if it then delivers a Remain vote UKIP and the rest are equally entitled to call for a third Referendum.

Nothing is set in stone, apart from Ed Miliband's reliance on bad PR advice......
  • Judging by my Facebook. So the majority of my age group of people in the 25 - 30 section seem to be deadlocked on backing Labour or full on switching to Lib Dem off the back off an Anti Brexit movement. All think its a Conservative Majority Win though and we are Doomed XD
  • Completely different the general election and the eu referendum

The remainers would I suspect not be claiming the original vote was advisory had the result gone the other way..
  • A week before the Referendum Farage said
    In a 52-48 referendum this would be unfinished business by a long way. If the remain campaign win two-thirds to one-third that ends it
    If he wasn't going to give up why should the Lib Dems?
  • Pointless question now the bill has been passed and the article triggered?
  • edited April 2017
    There was a referendum in 1975 on EU membership.

Not sure why we needed another... unless those who weren't happy with the result thought it a good idea to keep going until they got the result they wanted. ;wink