Terror attack in London

124»

Comments

• edited March 2017
    MrsGrey said:

I liked what Brendan Cox said: the person who carried out the London attack is no more representative of Muslims than the person who killed Jo Cox is representative of people from Yorkshire.

Only that the good folf of Yorkshire dont have their own 1400 year old book that they all follow. #justsaying
    ;sofa
  • edited March 2017
    Comparing Muslims with Yorkshire or a religion compared to a county makes no sense in my view. He could have used a far better analogy.
  • Posh

I rather think you missed the point of what he was saying.
  • edited March 2017
    posh, you've missed the point, I think.

He' saying 1 person who does a bad thing doesn't represent all other people who are, in 1 respect only, like him.

And so it is a perfectly workable analogy,

would you prefer it if he had said .... than the person who killed Jo Cox is representative of right-wing white men?

I suppose that without an analogy, he was saying not all Muslims are terrorists.

Seems perfectly obvious. Just a shame it needs saying.
  • edited March 2017
    Grey,

I get his point but it still makes no sense. His saying it's nothing to do with religion fine but then talks about Yorkshire as a comparison. But you can't compare a religion with a county.
    What he should have said is:the person who carried out the London attack is no more representative of Muslims than the person who killed Joe cox is representative of Christians.

I'm not saying that I agree or disagree with his comments by the way just that it's an unusual comparison.
  • Guess we'll agree to disagree, then. The analogy makes perfect sense to me.