Terror attack in London

Comments

• edited March 2017
    Pearces

Sure you didn't mean it wrongly, but 'the Asian kids'?

Not sure what that is supposed to mean.

Were there only a couple of them?

I hung around with some Asian kids when I was a teenager, and often went to West Ham with 3 of them.

I'm not sure it is ever useful to lump people together by a simple category.

I could be described as White Irish, but I would be very disappointed to be assumed to be 'like' a bunch of other people who would be similarly defined.

• I was told by my wife's brother that he did n't get on with the other ethnic groups and hung around with the Asian kids at school. He changed his name as soon as he could to a Muslim name . I was not implying there was anything wrong hanging around with Asian kids or Asian's or Muslim's. I think he was a lonely individual who was radicalised.

• Or in Suz's words - a lot of nut jobs out there....

• Yep. The problem with human beings is that we can go so very wrong from time to time.

Like the man who killed all those kids in a school after hoarding guns in his mums back bedroom.

Some mange to reek havoc on their own and some get caught up with like minded wrong'uns....

• Pearces

I didn't think you were implying there was anything wrong per se, my point, badly expressed, apparently, was that I thought using 'the Asian kids' as a generic term was not helpful.

If we see people in terms of labels, we won't see them as individuals.

I know from my experience as a teacher in London that children of Asian backgrounds are no more or less likely to have a wide range of personalities and world views than any other group, ranging from 'gangsta geeza' to 'computer nerd' and all points in between.
  • ;ok Grey

Unless they support Spurs....
  • In whcih case they are, indeed, Spuds,. ;ok
  • That matters?
  • Perhaps a little too soon and/or too raw for levity?
  • Herb

Not sure what that refers to, so can't answer.

NE

It wasn't a joke about the incident, so no, I don't think so.

I'm not going to pretend to a sense of solemnity or grief that I don't feel.

It's a terrible tragedy for those involved and their families. It isn't a tragedy for me, except in the widest sense that any violent death is a tragedy.

Terrible, terrible tragedies occur all over the world, pretty much 24 hours a day. We don't live our lives in a perpetual state of mourning over that, although it might be a better world if we did.

• Grey, I'm aware it wasn't a joke about the incident, but it is on the thread about it.
    That's all I want or intend to say about it.
  • I meant no offence.

My apologies.

• Grey,
    My post was in response to NE's mention of ISIS claiming the attack. I missed that the page had turned. It was not in response to any other post.
    ;ok
  • edited March 2017
    Keith Palmer was a friend of the_lodger.

Charlton have paid tribute to PC Keith Palmer, who lost his life in London yesterday, by placing a scarf over the seat he sat in as a season ticket holder.

May he rest in peace.
  • suz, that wasn't actually in a Tube station. It's a fake.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/mar/23/fake-tube-sign-read-out-bbc-westminster-attack

Although I like the sentiment ;ok
  • Oh.... that is a shame. We do though, just drink tea and carry on.

• Another Zealot bites the dust...

in the absence of my own words, I'll always turn to a quote from Christopher Hitchens who said:

"If religious instruction were not allowed until a child has attained the age of reason, we would be living in a quite different world"
  • I was with you until you mentioned Hitchens.
  • Sorry, bbb, but violence is not the exclusive prerogative of those who claim a faith, nor is it the expected behaviour of any major religion.

You might as well condemn all football fans for violence at games, and call for an end to organised games.

• I'd call for an end to organised religon in a heartbeat, and to say that violence is not the 'exclusive' prerogative of those who claim a faith is pure sophistry on your part Grey. The amount of wars and conflicts that had religous differences as their cause are legion and cannot be explained away as 'one of those things' just because you profess a faith.
    Maybe the other day was another one of those things that the big guy in the sky has sent to test us all eh ???????
  • No, sorry can't be having that.

Substitute 'politcal belief' for religion' ... and you end up with this
    The amount of wars and conflicts that had religous political differences as their cause are legion and cannot be explained away as 'one of those things'
    So do you..
    call for an end to organised religon politics in a heartbeat,
  • edited March 2017
    To blame 'religion' is to say that Islam is responsible for what happen yesterday.

It isn't.

An adult person is responsible.

And to imply that (as you did in your earlier post) that kids are indoctrinated, and are subsequently unable to change their minds and think for themselves... really - do you really think that? Is there no hope that human beings can choose their own path?

I have umpteen examples of people who have departed, as adults, from the doctrines, mores and ideologies that they accepted unquestioningly in their youth (whether it be from religion, or Daily Mail reading parents, or living in apartheid South Africa).

Do you really think that, having 'attained the age of reason' all evil and selfish impulses would be rejected by people? You could do away with religion altogether - yes it would be a different world - but no better - people would just justify their cruelty, intolerance and selfishness on some other ideology.

The problem is, sadly, people.
  • Islam wasn't responsible for yesterday's events.

A man's interpretation of Islam was.

And the argument is I guess that if religion didn't exist then fanatical and murderous interpretations of religion wouldn't, by extension, exist either.
  • edited March 2017
    Oops im a huge fan of Katie Hopkins so probably best to take a side step of this thread ;cool
  • edited March 2017
    My point about indoctrination is only highlighted by your post Mrs Grey. I believe it is an evil act to tell fairy stories to children to indoctrinate them to belong to the same sect as their parents, and to also snip off pieces of their skin for example, to proclaim that membership, would be without its religious 'cloak', an act of child abuse.
    Nobody is indoctrinated into a political belief until they are old enough to make their own minds up about things, as it normally requires a questioning mindset to establish a political point of view. Also politics, has a wide range of base material to draw from to make that point of view, not some discredited set of folk tales from the bronze age middle east, which more or less covers Judaeism, Christianity, and the Johnny come lately of Islam.To blandly insist that the various 'holy' books do not promote violent, sexist, and 'ungodly' behaviour, then I would suggest that that person reads more than the nice cuddly bits about Christmas, and takes a bit more notice of the smiting, rape, violence, allowance of slavery etc. I could go on. A really questioning mindset is not a requirement of a religious person. That which can be proclaimed without proof can be dismissed without proof.

I'm an atheist by the way ;ok

I will not post any more on this - as its a football forum after all - and my views on religon are fairly vitriolic.
  • edited March 2017
    My point about indoctrination is only highlighted by your post Mrs Grey.
    Not really. MrsG is an atheist.

I'll leave the rest of it; clearly nothing worth saying will have any impact on your views, so put me down as thinking you are stone wrong and we'll leave it there.

(Although, as an irrational indoctrinee incapable of autonomous thought and lacking the ability to question what I am told, perhaps I should just be agreeing with you.)
  • Islam wasn't responsible for yesterday's events.

A man's interpretation of Islam was.

And the argument is I guess that if religion didn't exist then fanatical and murderous interpretations of religion wouldn't, by extension, exist either.

I think I both agree and disagree with this

At the end of the day religion (all religions) are a matter of opinion surely? So by inference every different interpretation of Islam is a matter of opinion with no-one having the right to say which (if any at all) is correct?
  • baracks

Religious belief is firstly a matter of faith, not of opinion.

It is perfectly possible to point out, on the basis of a religion's core teachings, that certain claims or actions purporting to be based on it are just wrong.

The attack in London had no more to do with Islamic faith than IRA attacks had to do with Roman Catholicism.