The 'couldn't think where else to put this' and decided it didn't merit a new thread thread

Comments

• MrsGrey said:

Cheaper, quicker than sending people out for Vox Pops. The public have always been asked, it's just easier now.

it should only be done when a cross-section of public opinion is really relevant - when it is an issue that directly affects them (eg, referendum or election-type stuff, or taxation, new laws etc).
    In a way, taking from Twitter is more relevant than vox pops because you're taking opinions people have offered up voluntarily rather than sticking a mic in someone's face and asking them a question about an issue they might not have given a second's thought to.

I agree it's overdone though (my biggest fear about searching for a new job is giving up what I do now to sit in an office and sift through social media - which is most journo jobs now).
    Would they have had (pre-internet + social media) 'What's happening when I strike up random conversations with people down the pub/in the supermarket queue/sitting near me on the bus'?
    That's literally what they do for vox pops though ;lol

Theoretically, it can be a good thing - it can shed light on opinions that might go unheard otherwise and that's helped a lot of careers in various fields because social media has changed how 'experts' are accessed. Al Jazeera built a good programme around the concept (The Stream).

In reality it's all about marketing - finding the loudmouths, mass producing content and getting more direct engagement with the audience.
  • edited April 2017
    A whole new experience for me: feeling like Barton may have been hard done by... ;puzzled
  • Grey - Please arrange the below into a sentence....

Mouth Soap out Wash Your Water with and
  • Did anyone see Jeff Stelling this afternoon?
    His beloved Hartlepool were fighting Newport for survival in the league and came back from 1 down to go 2-1 up against table topping Doncaster with around 7 minutes to go. Stelling, wearing his Hartlepool shirt, was as smug as you like as they leapt above Newport who were only drawing.
    Then in the 89th minute Newport scored and Stellings face was a picture. The usual Le Tiss, Thommo, Merse and Nicholas crew went silent, not knowing what to say as Stelling got through to the end of the show.
    Now I quite like Stelling but lost a lot of respect for him when he called for the manager to be sacked a week or so ago using, what I saw as, his celebrity status. The manager was sacked, the CEO resigned and the team were relegated.

Karma.
  • While we're on the subject of League Two Notts County finished 16th, 10pts clear of relegation, under Nolan they won 10, drew 4, lost 7. He's got a tough summer ahead, 22 first team players are out of contract with only five players guaranteed to be there next season.
  • edited May 2017
    Who remembers this goal. I still cheer every time I watch it.

• David Di Michele ;bowdown
  • Did we have a thread at the beginning of the season where we predicted how the PL would finish?
    Anyone know how to find it?
  • I looked through the 'other teams' category and found this... is it the one you were thinking of? http://www.whu606.com/discussion/9767/premier-league-final-table-prediction-2016-17#latest
  • Did anyone else hear the story on the radio yesterday about Cheikhou?

For those of you who didn't it has been reported he pulled up in his car the other day and was asked by some people who washed cars if he wanted his cleaning. He declined and went off to a cash point to withdraw some money, he also withdrew an additional £250 and went back to the car washers and gave them the cash. He said he was thinking of people who are less fortunate that him. ;clap
  • MrsGrey said:

I looked through the 'other teams' category and found this... is it the one you were thinking of? http://www.whu606.com/discussion/9767/premier-league-final-table-prediction-2016-17#latest

That's the one. Thank you Mrs. Grey.
    Just goes to show that we suck as much as Lawro.
    No one picked Chelsea.
    No one got all 3 relegated teams. No one picked the top 4.
    And almost everyone of us had us finishing higher than we we will end up (no surprise there as we look through our scarlet and blue tinted glasses).
  • MIAHammer said:

MrsGrey said:

I looked through the 'other teams' category and found this... is it the one you were thinking of? http://www.whu606.com/discussion/9767/premier-league-final-table-prediction-2016-17#latest

That's the one. Thank you Mrs. Grey.
    Just goes to show that we suck as much as Lawro.
    No one picked Chelsea.
    No one got all 3 relegated teams. No one picked the top 4.
    And almost everyone of us had us finishing higher than we we will end up (no surprise there as we look through our scarlet and blue tinted glasses).
    I take that back. Suzanne did pick the 3 relegated teams ;bowdown
  • Lanzini called up for Argentina apparently.
  • Excellent news.

Now all we have to do is ;pray that he doesn't go all Le Sulk on us...
  • I wonder how much this summers transfer window will influence his thinking. He's probably aware that other teams are taking note of his performances and now with international recognition his profile will be that little bit bigger.

If we have another lacklustre window he may begin to wonder if we can match his ambitions.
  • edited May 2017
    A call up adds to TF value (and increased wage ask from agent). At least we got him for a bargain and, at this time, he's quoted as saying he's happy at West Ham.

When we get Iheanacho, Batshuayi and co it'll all be fine

#deludingmyself
  • He was called up last time round too.
  • MrsGrey said:

He was called up last time round too.

Lanzini? Wasn't that the Under 23's?
  • He's only been called up for Olympic team I think
  • edited May 2017
    Yes, but that was as a shot-putter and he was hopeless!

#lostintranslation
  • On a completely different note, PLEASE beat Millwall today Bradford! ;pray

#scum
  • Ham - yes, you are right. That's what I was thinking of (forgot it wasn't full international) ;ok
  • The fact he got called up might show him he doesn't need to leave
  • Well millwall are up. Too many Bradford players believing they're better than they are and wasting opportunities.
    Cullen always wanted to be involved but he didn't contribute a great deal but looks a good prospect.
  • edited May 2017
    Still remember when Lukerz called out Lanzini as another Luis Jimenez ;biggrin
  • Where's your proof mate ;wink ;biggrin
This discussion has been closed.