The 'couldn't think where else to put this' and decided it didn't merit a new thread thread

Comments

• Is that a tin of tartan paint I can see under the desk?

You can actually buy it...
  • What size Clan does it come in ;hmm ;wink
  • He was a Foreign Exchange Broker ;biggrin

MrsGrey said:

That's outstanding suz.

;biggrin and that’s only one wall!
    And that's only one shed ;cool
  • I looked at one of those tins but when I opened the lid I thought the white lines were a bit too thick
  • What do you think is best brush or roller?

Thinking outside the box ;wink
    I have airless spay rig , can it be sprayed?
  • edited October 2017
    Tonight Celtic won the FIFA award for the 'Best Fans' on the same day EUFA's disciplinary body punished them for the 12th time in six years regarding their fans' behaviour.

#yougottalaugh
  • How’s that work herb ;lol
  • I thought we had a FFP thread, but can't find it.

Anyway, I see that QPR had been appealing their fine for breaching the 'live within your means' aspect of the regs as they spent their way into the PL.

They were knocked back on both fronts, with the ruling that their fines were not disproportionate and the regs were not unlawful.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/41736013
  • Sakho saying his wants to leave, just seen this on another WH page on FB, assume this isn’t a mistranslation.

https://www.facebook.com/hammersbalkan/videos/855879637902690/
  • We need a fluent French speaker to translate (and indicate ambiguities, connotations etc)
  • No story here - he's been wanting to go for ages ??
  • So fed up with 'poppy creep'. It's not even November yet ;doh
  • I think each club are doing it at their last home game before Remembrance Sunday
  • I know. It's ridiculous.
  • Why is it ridiculous? It's a tradition and this year the weekend of 9/10 November is an international break so this weekend is the last chance for some clubs to mark the occassion. ;poppy
  • edited October 2017
    Because (imo) it has become too much about virtue signalling.

If the clubs want to support the Royal British Legion (or indeed any of the other charities who do the same work) they can. At any time.

If they want to join or hold Remembrance Day Commemorations, they should be on Remembrance Sunday or (where it isn't the same) 11 November.

Having commemorations at 'convenient-for-us other times when we can fit them in with all the other stuff we've got going on' - which is what is having a ceremony on 28th October actually is - devalues the significance for me, and makes it all about the club.

• edited October 2017
    Not sure a few years makes it a tradition.

I can't see any need for clubs to do anything other than in the game which occurs on Remembrance Sunday weekend, if they choose to.

If no games fall that weekend, why mark it at all?

It has nothing to do with football.

By all means, observe the minute's silence at 11.11 in the workplace.

Do people who aren't going to be at work on the 11th at 11:11 observe it the last time they are at work before that date?
  • ;hmm I wonder why the clubs never do it AFTER the weekend?

There's 10 home games the week after, which is a lot nearer than 3 week before.
  • I’m currently sitting in a cafe on the Canterbury campus with him_indoors waiting for my dinner.

Apparently we are seeing Jeremy Hardy tonight ;wahoo.

It is part of my birthday present.

#happyhappy
  • Huzzah for you, Suze!

;wahoo ;champagne
  • Well done to those that remember ;poppy
    The loss of life , unbelievable scale
  • imagelost

Yes, that is what Remembrance Sunday is for.

Not sure it has to be expanded outside that.
  • At least clubs acknowledge it. Some places in the UK don't even bother anymore.
  • edited October 2017
    That's a shame. Where, out of interest?
  • edited October 2017
    IronHerb said:

Why is it ridiculous? It's a tradition and this year the weekend of 9/10 November is an international break so this weekend is the last chance for some clubs to mark the occassion. ;poppy

Nobody wore poppies on their shirts until 2007 and it took a few years before every club was doing it so calling it a tradition is not really accurate. Up until now I've always worn a poppy but its getting so tarnished by nationalism and bigotry I'm having serious doubts this year.
  • Salford City's goalkeeper was sent off at the weekend for urinating during the match against Bradford Park Avenue

There was no choice, he had to go......
  • ASLEF ;ok
  • So how do traditions start then? ;hmm
    How many times must it take place before it becomes a tradition? ;hmm
  • edited October 2017
    According to the OED the definition of ' tradition'' is ''The transition of customs or beliefs from generation to generation or the fact of being passed on in this way'' or ''A long established custom or belief that has been passed on from one generation to another''

Also from the OED a generation is ''generally considered to be about thirty years''.

Wearing a poppy is a tradition, poppies on football shirts is a recent Daily Mail inspired piece of nationalistic emotional blackmail
This discussion has been closed.