The 'couldn't think where else to put this' and decided it didn't merit a new thread thread

Comments

• Thank God.
  • Because I'm interested in this sort of stuff, I just went through the England and Spain U21 squads and took a look at their careers.

The England squad have made 795 top flight appearances (or, appearances in any competition for a top flight club during that season), and 2,314 professional appearances. That means 34% of all of their appearances are for top flight sides. Also, between the 23 of them they have 5 senior international appearances. It should probably also be noted that this is top flight in ANY country. So, Lewis Baker has spent two years in the Eredivisie.

The Spain squad, have made 1,601 top flight appearances, and 2,730 professional. That's 59% of all appearances in the top flight.

This means they have 806 more top flight appearances than the England squad, or an average of 35 per head - essentially a full year of top flight football more per person.

The caveat I guess, would be that a lot of the professional appearances that the Spanish players make outside of the top flight are with B teams, which means they are essentially playing lower league football but coming back to be eligible for cup competitions for the first team (imagine last year Josh Cullen had been playing cup matches for us, essentially).

The other things that stood out to me, are that we have 9 players in our squad who have played less than 10 games for top flight clubs, and 5 who had 0. Spain only had two with less than 10, but all of their squad have top flight experience. They also have 7 players in their squad with more than 100 top flight games. We have 3.

I guess what this tells us, is that there is a much clearer pathway into the first team for Spanish youth players than there is English. It also shows us that (despite the media telling us the England team is good enough to win this tournament) we are actually an incredibly inexperienced side compared to some of our counterparts.
  • Leyton Orient has been bought by the CEO of Dunkin' Doughnuts and Baskin Robbins - he grew up in Woodford.

At least the food will be better.....
  • I got arrested in Dunkin Donuts in ludgate circus. I was completely innocent of the charge.
  • Come on you d O's
  • How old is he?
  • Mid-twenties, I think. Somewhere round there.
  • 23 I think ;whistle
  • ;nonono

They should have said....
  • edited July 2017
    Another important news story on footballs relationship with mental health issues

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40446713
  • Leyton Orient now has 15 players but only four of them are over 21 and not from the academy squad.

Its going to be a long season.........
  • It seems it all kicked off on Henman Hill when Murray lost, a woman was taken to hospital with neck injuries, an 8 year old girl was treated at the scene, one man was arrested and another was cautioned.

In total there have been 19 reported crimes at Wimbledon leading to nine arrests including actual bodily harm, affray, assault, possession of a pointed/blade article, public order offences, money-laundering related to ticket touting, immigration offences, possession of class A drugs and shoplifting.

Tennis hooligans!!!!!!!
  • Fortunately none of the offenders were found to be Hammers fans so it was swept under the carpet.
  • IronHerb said:

Fortunately none of the offenders were found to be Hammers fans so it was swept under the carpet.

;phew
  • I do love him but ;whome
  • I read it and was going to make a comment or two on this thread. Clicked it and it was already here!

I'm with Suz... Love him but... (if he was a striking coach ok, but anything else is ;hmm )

• I figured a bit of Di Canio love via those talking picture thingys wouldnt be the worse thing ever.
  • If only we had some forwards like he was.
  • Mad as a tree.
  • MrsGrey said:

Mad as a tree.

..............full of cats.
  • ;lol

I'd always known it as ... full of frogs, but in looking up the origins I see I may be getting confused with a box of frogs.

Google offers 'mad as a gum tree full of galahs' which I quite like. ;biggrin

And a new one to me, madder than a bag full of badgers. ;puzzled ;wahoo
  • Madder than a bag of cats is my preference ;biggrin
  • He's mad! He's mad. He's madder than Mad Jack McMad, the winner of this year's Mr Madman competition.

#blackadder
  • ;lol Always liked that riff they did... We're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the Stick Insect got stuck on a sticky bun.
  • We had a old wooden table, when we went back after the great fire, it had vanished!
This discussion has been closed.